1.10.7.0 Update - Aircraft control issues

Did the update last night and was happy to report that other than a 220GB download(???) all went well and I was relieved to have no issues starting up and getting to the menu screen. I will say that it was probably 15 minutes of black screen but I just went and poured a drink and relaxed while waiting.
Reinstalled my controller and TrackIR, exited and restarted. This time took about 2.5 minutes to hit the menu. Satisfied, I shut down and called it a night.
Following the Reddit feeds and this forum I was surprised at the number of people complaining about control issues this morning. I finally got an opportunity to taxi out and give the update a go. Weather at CYDQ today is heavy/light snow on and off and some variable gusty winds. Taxied out in the Baron, RWY 27 winds 320@10G15. Had a hell of a time with directional control. Felt like I had left the control locks in place. Lined up and rolled. Yaw to the right, weather-vaning into the wind, was almost uncontrollable. Got into the air and flew a circuit. Really felt mushy. Needed a ton of control input just to hold heading and altitude in the rough air, (MUCH improved wind and turbulence effect IMO). Lined up on final and fought the xwind all the way to the ground. Granted 7 to 10 knot xwind component is a lot to ask from the Baron but I was using nearly full control deflection. Taxied in, shut down and logged.
Remembering that there was an update for control sensitivities I opened the menu. Prior setup I was running at -58%. I reset all my controls to 0% and repeated the flight. Wow! linear control input that gave a very realistic aircraft control feel. I have 2800+ hours in a real B55 and the B58 has been my goto in MSFS. Has some power curve issues and no mixture control, but I now would say it feels pretty ■■■■ good.

I strongly recommend zeroing out all your control setups and tweak from there if required. I am pretty sure there are a whack of simpilots out there with sensitivities dialed WAY back that are having fits right now as they are now at the twitchy logarithm levels on their sticks.

So far I am impressed with the update. Really like the bumpy air. Much better than before.

2 Likes

Completely agree about the controls needing an adjustment after getting this and/or the 1.10.8 patch. I got a warning about my controllers, so I went in to check them right away before flying (although nothing seemed to have changed), and noted that the control axes were way too sluggish now (Saitek Cessna yoke and rudder). I had rolled back to -70 on ailerons and elevators prior to this, I think about -50 on rudder, which was now just way too flat. Readjusting in my case to about -30 for all surfaces works well and feels about right.

Question on the Baron, one of my go-to aircraft as well: I noticed that there’s no mixture control at all now, which I take it you see as well? Previously, if I turned on the fuel pumps I had mixture control, although it wasn’t really all that well implemented. Now, regardless of fuel pumps, the mixture seems set to follow roughly best-mixture (I presume), and more or less results in the fuel flow rates I would expect for a given altitude and MP/rpm settings, give or take.

Noticed that as well. I chose to ignore the mixture, even using the pump fix. Normally I would never have the pumps on while inflight and the imposed ‘auto mixture’ was doing a pretty good job. So good in fact that I completed the ‘saddle sore’ achievement in the Baron flying from CYDQ to PANC. :smile:

I am sure they will fix it. Eventually.

Really helpful post. For me, post 1.10.8.0, there were 4, and now 5 (thanks to @willisxdc) things that everyone having any kind of major control or flight issue chould check. These are really basic, but you’d be amazed at how many times people say “oh yes, I’ve checked that” only to later report “oops, I had that set wrong”. Anyway, the 5 are:

1. Check your flight model is set to modern - legacy DOES NOT work with MSFS aircraft but the setting is sometimes set to legacy by the patches (especially 1.9.5.0 and 1.10.7.0)

2. Check you don’t have duplicate or unnecessary control mappings - e.g. xbox controller with default control surface mappings that you use for the drone cam - it WILL cause issues. Also avoid unnecessary controls - e.g. having a mixture control set in the TBM will cause the engine to cut out if you move that control by accident (took me a LONG time to figure this one out :crazy_face: )

3. Empty the community folder - just please do it! It takes a couple of minutes and I swear, it must fix 75% of all issues. You can add the stuff back once you know the issue is fixed

4. Switch from metric units to US or Hybrid. Metric screws up the altitude in the plane where it starts to think that altitude in feet is actually in metres - so pressing ALT HOLD sets your target altitude at 3.28 x your current altitude
etc. Just don’t do it!

5. Check your control sensitivities - as above - the curves have been changed in the latest patch, so check them and make adjustments as required - I expect this will fix everythign else that 1-4 can’t!

I should ask the mods if we can sticky this list somewhere

1 Like

Agreed @moderators

1 Like

Hmm
so
feel free to call me stupid but I’ve been flight-simming since 2005-6 and had no idea what weathervaning-into-the-wind was.

When you mentioned you had “RWY 27 winds 320 @ 10 G 15
Yaw to the right, weather-vaning into the wind”, it caught my attention so I googled it.

So THAT is why my C172/152 has been heavily yawning left, if say for example I was taking off from rwy 27 and wind was coming from the left, from let’s say 230? Because my uneducated brain was telling me that if wind was hitting the aircraft from the left at 10 knots for example, then the nose of the aircraft after I apply full throttle should yaw to the right and not towards the direction the wind is coming from.

I legit thought it was a bug in MSFS or something!

1 Like

It’s amazing what we can learn even after years of experience, isn’t it? Yep, the force of the crosswind on the vertical stabilizer is quite a bit more than the force on the fuselage, both of which want to shove the plane to the right in your example. The much greater force on the vertical stabilizer is unbalanced, however, and force on the tail therefore acts like a lever with the gear as the fulcrum, causing the aircraft to pivot nose left as the tail is shoved to the right.

1 Like

Not even kidding! I spent a full hour a month ago at KPWT slowly rolling down the runway from one end to the other and vice-versa to make sense of what the hell was happening. I thought I knew it all and this sim was either modelling the wind simulation incorrectly or the live weather was acting janky as it sometimes does.

1 Like

Anyone else having this issue on a gamepad? The curves are hardly curves and that sharp drop off is making smooth flying a pain.

This is what it looked like before they had a 3 year old draw the “curve”

I have the same issue. You can literally see my elevator twitching when I’m powered up ready to go. I can’t takeoff in the A320, or any heavy aircrafts. They bounce down the runway no matter the trim, or curve setting. My community folder has been wiped clean. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled, verified integrity of files on steam and nothing helps. All was fine before update. TBM is okay with the right curve setting.

Settings to modern flight ?

Legacy is only for fsx imports.

Otherwise it’s your stick/yoke if you can see it twitching.

From what I can tell, it looks like instead of fixing an overly sensitive flight model, they instead forced an exponential curve in the control sensitivity settings to try to smooth out control sensitivity.

That’s partially correct.

There’s presently a strange bug in MSFS where a 2kts crosswind in flight (which you can basically ignore) turns into a perceived ~10kts crosswind as soon as the wheels are touching the runway (which requires considerable correction).

1 Like