(1.12.13.0) just downloaded again?

Hi @SenseOfHomer,
The release notes of the update on 08 January was in error.

This update was to navdata only (AIRAC) - no MSFS core files were updated.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/small-update-navdata-january/348245/4

They seem to be very lacking on the communication with the community… and not changing the patch note is just unjustifiable.

1 Like

Maybe the first time, but when this was brought to their attention last time, and they did it again…it does dent ones confidence a little. It’s a little thing, granted, but it does make you wonder.

I had a quick and easy 1GB update, but I did notice there was no change in the version number, and as I was reading the Release Notes I kept saying, “Wait… I already have this.”

It was a bit confusing.

Jim-Sim

[Store Version - Default, C:Drive Install - very, very minimal Community Folder mods (mostly drivers)]

with all those up-dates, I`m always in a hurry to see what I have lost…

A votable bug report has been opened for those with extra downloads…

If you install something that change MSFS official files (a single file is enough), then on the next startup you will get the entire last patch over again. On this way ASOBO ensures that their environment (Official folder) is at should be.

1 Like

Two things:

1. That would be fine, but I absolutely refuse to install anything that modifies base game files. If it doesn’t live in the Community folder, it doesn’t get installed. I don’t have any modified base files. None.

2. After this happened last month also, people who HAD modified base files (scenery files, the Longitude mod that requires changes to base files, the Fall Seasons mod) reported only having to download the 1GB AIRAC update and not the whole patch all over again.

So basically that theory has already been disproven.

Its a theory widely postulated by a few and thoroughly disproved by others. In my sim fs-base-nav was replaced., no files were altered in that folder. The same applies to fs-base-ai-traffic and fs-base and all its sub folder content. None were altered, all replaced.

As far as you are aware.

The update process is obviously finding something that is triggering it to replace files. I expect it is doing some sort of binary checksum. If it fails, for whatever reason, it reinstalls. There MUST be a reason, designed in, for replacing those files. Pretty sure it isn’t random. Without decompiling the code, it is only a guess what is triggering it.

1 Like

No, there is no “not as far as I am aware” about it, its an absolute certainly nothing was replaced in these folders because nothing is added to them when manually installing items in the community folder. Add on were not installed using executables, they are just folders copied into the community folder.

But what exactly would change files? Mods in the community folder can’t change base files. They’re basically a data source. They don’t write to the base files of the sim.

Now, there are some mods that require users manually change core game files in order to get their mods to work. But outside of that, there’s nothing that should be changing the base files.

1 Like

Point is, YOU didn’t change anything but that doesn’t mean a file wasn’t corrupted by some other process you are unaware of. Files all over your computer are susceptible to such things. That is why we have options to ‘Verify’, ‘Repair’, etc.

So why didn’t it just replace the so called corrupt file rather than replacing 26 Gb of data? People are perpetuating the theory that the updater is sophisticated enough to detect tiny changes in maybe one file but its apparently not capable of replacing just that one file. Seems at best clumsy to me and at worst positively idiotic.

I think the update process for FS is unreliable and at random decides to re-install an update, I doubt if there is any clever process to it. The sim is buggy and there is no reason to assume the updater is any different

People much smarter than me or you.
People trying to work the problem.

Sometimes being open to possibilities is how we find solutions to problems that crop up in a wide variety of software. Computers are funny about interactions. Sometimes what appears very complex turns out to be something very simple. Usually that simple solution is stumbled upon by spit-balling ideas.
I have been witness to far too many simple solutions involving users own systems. If everyone is experiencing the same thing then I am the first one to agree on a bug. When I see something that affects a relative handful of users I tend toward determining why not everyone. Very few bugs are random. They are usually repeatable when the source is found. Random errors are usually user related in some way. Asobo is NOT going to waste on computer cycle on finding solutions to user effects. It falls to the community to solve those errors.

Try to keep an open mind and you may find the “buggy” sim isn’t as buggy as you think.

Read the fine print. It probably says “up to” somewhere. You’ll only get traffic as fast as the slowest node in the path.

Yeah, but considering it’s always 700+ MBit downloading from any other source, yet always under 100 downloading MSFS updates, I’d say the issue isn’t with my connection.

It rarely ever is anything close to your end of the pipe, unless you have a lot of neighbors doing a boatload of heavy streaming. It’s more likely somewhere at or near MS’s end with a node that just can’t handle the demand.

What I find odd is that with the November update, literally right before the MSFS update dropped, I was downloading the Windows 10 Pro ISO from MS. I was getting 900+ MBits for that download. Minutes later, the MSFS update dropped, and I was crawling along at 70-100 Mbits for that.

It would seem it’s more than just a simple congestion somewhere along the way.

Always do, I am a professional fault finding and development engineer. keeping an open mind is a requirement in my career.