Ghosting over water, runway and grass/dirt surfaces (partial workaround)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes/No (no difference)

Brief description of the issue:

Starting with the Sim Update 10 beta (1.27.9.0), there is now visible ghosting of the aircraft’s propeller, airframe, shadow and glass windows (in Cockpit view) when panning the camera and taking off or landing over a water, runway or grass/dirt surface.
PARTIAL WORKAROUND: It appears that it is the detail maps which are prone to ghosting over ground surfaces. Go to DevMode → Options → Ground and untick Detail Maps. The ghosting will disappear from ground surfaces, but they will look blurrier from up close since only the satellite imagery is being used.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Fly at very low altitudes over a water or runway surface.
  2. Take-off/land on the surface or pan the camera while flying over it.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Are you using DX12?

No, DX11.

Are you using DLSS?

No, only TAA and TAAU.

Are you using the multi monitor feature?

No.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I imagine I’d have to create a new bug report for this, but it is very similar to yours:

There’s a difficult to describe shimmer when over water that I almost thought for a second was fine spray or mist. However it occurs around the plane, and even reacts to the orientation of the aircraft, so if you bank in a direction you can determine a slight shift in the appearance of the water - this is not as I first assumed (sadly) some kind of physical interaction with the water eg manipulation of the water from some kind of aircraft wake - it occurs to the left and right of the plane even a couple of hundred feet ASL.

I haven’t fully tested this but when I do I will try to screenshot - however it is a fairly subtle effect, that must be unintentional.

If anyone can fly low over water and test out the OP’s issue and mine and confirm or otherwise??

Xbox series X SU X Beta

Edit -typo

1 Like

That’s true, I have also noticed a shimmering/moiré pattern in the water in some instances, and it seems to happen at a fixed distance from the plane. Perhaps it is the point where the generic water texture turns into a dynamic water surface.

I believe the following two threads are about that issue, though I would add that I’m seeing it with TAA/TAAU too, not DLSS. Perhaps they should be merged.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dlss-artifacts-flying-over-the-ocean/529136

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pixelated-waves/529018

2 Likes

Yes

Are you using DX12?

Yes

Are you using DLSS?

No

1 Like

I experience the same graphical issue over waters with DLSS.

i have timestamped the video, flying over water here.
Settings at the end of the video.

2 Likes

yes, also happens in VR

sometimes it’s more or less noticable

Are you using DX12?

yes, but also in 11

Are you using DLSS?

no

1 Like

Is this another one of those temporal issues where a lower frame rate makes the issue more apparent? For the sake of reproducing this issue, that info might be helpful.

It is likely, but considering how severe this ghosting is, I guess that no matter the frame rate it will still be extremely visible. Unfortunately I can’t run 60 FPS without dropping the resolution to ridiculous levels, so if anyone could do this test it would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I have the same issue. Experienced in SU9 and it’s still there in SU10 Beta DX11 with DLSS (Somewhat less) and TAA(More). It is even worse in DX12 Beta.

Sys specs:
5600x 3080FE 32GB 3600MHz 1440p 165 Hz
G-Sync ON FPS locked 60 in Nvidia panel

2 Likes

I can confirm this issue from my side as well. I noticed the ghosting effect on the shadows on the runway at take-off as soon i reach some speed.

The effect appear in DX12 & 11 and TAA or DLSS.

4 Likes

Yes

Xbox X
Are you using DX12?

?

Are you using DLSS?

?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I experience the same ghosting - I assumed it was just a limitation of the Xbox/refresh rate of tv but perhaps not…

2 Likes

Tested with today’s 1.27.11.0 build, still occurring. Bug report updated.

Also, some new ghosting has been found. It appears that detail maps over runway, grass and dirt surfaces are prone to ghosting, so disabling them (DevMode → Options → Ground and untick Detail Maps) makes it go away if you’re willing to stick with stock satellite imagery.

3 Likes

@DrewmorKuZy The secondary shadow source is probably either ambient occlusion or contact shadows. On PC they can be turned off in graphics settings.

3 Likes

(On Series X)
This is another anomaly that comes and goes as it pleases with me. Kinda returning once more during all this.

2 Likes

I get the ghosting heavily also against clouds/overcast/mist. I’ve also tried with AA disabled, and it does it as well. Seems to be the worst with DLSS

6 Likes

Tried disabling both of those to no avail. Fiddled with all the settings, and in NVCP. And no dice.

a hotfix or a new update is appreciated to adress this annoying issue and now much better fps/ with latest hotfix I lost again 15 or more fps…

MODERATOR EDIT: Removed ping to Asobo.
Please do not ping team members to bring attention to an issue or bug.

3 Likes

It seems the ghosting effect is still occuring after the latest update (1.27.13.0 on August 4, 2022) or does anyone have other results?

3 Likes

You are correct, it is still occurring with the 1.27.13.0 build. I will update the main post now.

1 Like

Still happening with SU10 Beta 1.27.13.0 on Xbox Series X - in fact I noticed it for the first time on this version. Especially when taxiing, but also in flight.

4 Likes