1.9.5.0 - autopilot dolphin dance (oscillations) still an issue

They thought that this is not a problem while you were getting used to it. Problem solved and case closed. Thank you​:+1:t2::crazy_face:

Guys have you tested it and still have an issue with it?? I’m surprised it would be fixed only for the CJ4 here…

Whoever have this problem, please try this as it worked for CJ4 for me before:
Push gently the yoke and hold it until the dancing stop. Then carefully release the yoke to center. This is insane I know and wildly unrealistic but worked for me even in the wildest jumping.

Since 1.9.5.0 problem is gone (I’m also using Working-Title-MSFS-Mods mod for CJ4)

Happy flying!

Yeah, the CJ4 appears to work smoothly in VS mode, and I don’t use that mod you mentioned.

In the previous version the TBM had oscillations severe enough for me that made it practically unusable.

Happens to me when using CP. Initial climb seems fine until the flaps are set to 0.

Why not?

Because when I load a saved game, I actually expect everything to be exactly the way it has been at the time I saved it. And at this point the Longitude did not “dance”. Plus switching off the auto pilot did not change anything in the planes behavior.

I see. That means you have a incorrect understanding of how a save game works. When you hit the save button, the game saves the current states of the simulator, i.e. The “physical“ variables of the environment and the aircraft. Altitude, air speed, direction, location, amount of fuel, thrust setting, etc.

After that is loaded, the game then begins simulating and that is where the porpoise bug is. Basically the auto pilot is too sensitive and needs to be adjusted. When you load in the game and it begins simulating it’s like any other change of condition, leveling off, beginning a climb, in which the trim being slightly off will cause the auto pilot to over correct and begin porpoising.

Long story short, you will never overcome simulation bugs with a save game file because those things are not saved.

1 Like

PS, I’m using the CJ4 mod and did a flight last night with no porpoising at all. That plane is the best performing one in the game so far. The A320X mod did very well also and I was able to fly the Longitude with only a very minor wobbling

I don’t know why, maybe Microsoft just loves me more

I haven’t tried this yet, thanks for the workaround.

In the Cessna 172 G1000 I did find that on my CH Flightsim yoke, the trim wheel did not have enough travel to correct the rollercoaster ride when doing FLC, but when violently pitching up I could push the yoke forward and use the buttons on the yoke (also configured for pitch control) and keep them pressed for nose-down for 3 or 4 seconds and this seemed to relax the pitching.

It’s like the FD is overcompensating and the plane then tries to hunt and over-compensate what the FD is doing and this then repeats in hunting cycles, if that makes sense.

It’s not only pitch oscillations but now also roll oscillations (0.9.5). At all heights, if you do get the longitude to fly without the pitch bobbing you’ll notice it now rolls gently from side to side too. Unlike the pitch oscillations, which can be stopped by careful counter tweaking of the controller, the roll oscillations can’t. Even if you manage to stop them the AP just starts doing it again. This doesn’t happen in any other aircraft, or not that I’ve noticed.

We should highlight this bug at the same time otherwise when we eventually get a fix for the pitch bobbing we’ll still have to deal with the rolling side to side. I think the only reason this hasn’t been noticed is everyone is so annoyed by the much worse pitch oscillations.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve just tested this in the Longitude and TBM and got some slow roll oscillations in NAV mode as well, but it doesn’t always happen. I haven’t been able to replicate it in HDG mode. I’ll update the original post with this info.

Prior to update 1.9.5.0 the Longitude lunged violently up and down enough to cause intermittent stall warnings. I just flew from El Paso to Colorado Springs with only occasional bouncing around. Is it possible that this is turbulence rather than a glitch? It did seem to happen almost always above mountains.

It could be my imagination, but my flying experience with various aircraft, especially the A320 and 787, has improved quite a bit since Tuesday’s update. I hope the same is true for all of you.

I’ve tested the Longitude in zero wind over flat terrain and still had stall inducing oscillations. I get no oscillations if I switch off the autopilot and hand fly it, so the problem definitely is to blame on the autopilot. The update did seem to lessen the severity for some planes, for example the TBM and CJ4, but it’s still overall a serious problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

It happened to me between Denmark and Sweden, with no mountains anywhere nearby.

It looks like instead even even trying to actually fix the autopilot. They just majorly dampened the autopilot’s ability to control the plane at all, significantly increasing the time it takes the autopilot to react, as well as send additional inputs to the plane. Flying the Cessna Longitude

Just took off and set FLC mode at 200 knots. It slowly oscilated from -5000 to 500+fpm. Completly blowing through the target speed each time and starting the next oscilation to try to “catch up”

Even more ridiculous was when I hit Altitude Hold as I passed 8000 feet. Again, it oscilated slowly up and down, going from -5000 to 5000+ fpm.

Here’s the really craptastic part. It just kept going higher, It would climb several thousand feet on the up oscilation, and only descend 500-,1500 feet on the down oscilation. About 45 seconds after hitting alt hold at 8,000 feet. I was blasting through 11,000 feet at 5000+ fpm.

Asobo. This is unacceptable. Completely ridiculous. You guys are in for a long, hard road ahead if you keep up these bandaid fixes. Fix your game.

Should have just called it early access.

PS. The completely non functional alphanumeric pad in the SR22 (A premium deluxe aircraft) is also a slap in the face.

2 Likes

You don’t say which aircraft you’re flying so we’re flying blind here. Perhaps you’re expecting too much performance and 200 kts is unrealistic? I can only guess.

1 Like

Sorry, post was edited and I accidentally removed the plane, re-added. It’s the cessna longitude. Which is (factually) capable of a steady climb at some rate, at 200 knots, in FLC mode.

No, this is not a case of me expecting too much performance. I expected a steady climb at some rate at 200 knots. And instead it was wildly oscilating up and down (albeit slowly). Blasting through the desired and set climb speed, and then nearly stalling as it pitches up to 35 degrees. Then going into a dive and blowing past 200 knots. only to have to pitch up to a wild climb to bleed off all of the extra speed from the dive. And the process repeats.

I’m not saying “I think that this is broken” I am declaring that this bug is still a bug, and still broken.

Not to mention the plane just keeps on climbing and climbing (via the oscilations) when I set the altitude hold to 8,000. I don’t think I’m expecting “Too much performance” from a longitude asking it to hold altitude at 8,000 feet MSL. Although from Asobo, ironically this does seem to be “too much performance”

The oscillating is a known issue. Asobo said they partially fixed it in 1.9.5. It is still present in the TBM, but not as bad. Since it isn’t claimed as fixed, there’s no point in pointing out the obvious. In the TBM I use VS and forget about using FLC. Does VS work for you?

1 Like

Before the last patch, it would oscilate very sharply and rapidly in the longitude.

After the patch, the oscilations are more severe, they just happen slowly. So it’s not really reduced at all even. Just changed, with a bandaid.