1.9.5 and .4 have the best image quality and AA, EVER!

After reading about the nVidia sharpening setting I decided to give it a try today. I took some screenshots with sharpening off and with it set to 0.50 and compared them in GIMP. Definitely a noticeable difference. However, I found 0.50 too sharp and not as realistic, things out several thousand feet should not appear razor sharp. Also, there’s a slight impact to FPS. I personally found that 0.25 was the perfect setting for me. It sharpens up some of the often overly soft looking imagery but doesn’t make it unrealistically sharp and also doesn’t seem to have any noticeable impact on FPS. Definitely going to keep it with the Nvidia sharpening at 0.25.

I increased the resolution (which my PC can’t comfortably handle with full ultra settings, which it does perfectly at 1080p), but I didn’t see that it really took away the AA problems from round the edges of the cockpit control panels in the Cessna 152. And TAA was implemented perfectly at launch: everything super solid and smooth at 1080p. So bumping resolution should never be a solution anyway; the only acceptable one is for the developers to get it back to how it was at launch.

4 Likes

Not bad at all :slight_smile:

I agree with everything you said, but i doubt Asobo will do anything about it, they don’t even aknowledge that problem even exist. Maybe we’ll get a fix with dx12 and dlss 2.0, i hope so, but there’s also a lot of people with older non rtx cards and that wont help them.

1 Like

Why can’t a game that has been developed for so many years be stable at 60PFS?

I’ve done lots of testing with Nvidia Control panel and did try most of the settings
Many of them made the sim worse , like sharpening even at the lowest gives the sim a cartoonish look in my opinion
The best setting I’ve found is that in Nvidia control panel , set Antialiasing to OVERRIDE the application settings and set it at 4x also use FXAA and Anistropic Filtering at 8x in the Simulators graphics settings. This gave me a lot better quality within the Sim , though i will experiment more to see if i can get better results.
Hopefully this can give everyone better image quality as it did mine.

With Direct X 12 which should probably see a bump of somewhere between 5-12fps. Who knows, maybe we’ll get more.

I don’t think it even needs to run at 60 FPS. I’ve had it locked at 30 since launch, and it’s run perfectly (apart from stutters, which seem to be caused by other things and not connected to frame rate, one cause being a bad NVIDIA driver a couple of months back; the stuttering I resolved for myself with a RAM upgrade initially, and then rolling back the driver when NVIDIA reintroduced the problem in their driver update).

60 FPS is beneficial to most other games, with complex character animations and fast-paced action. But this is a simulator with a mostly inanimate object traveling relatively slowly through a largely motionless world.

I fear that gamers coming to this simulation have doggedly pursued 60 FPS out of context, just because it’s what they expect from every other game, and the developers have felt pressured to meet this target and might have downgraded some visual aspects of the engine to do this. But 30 FPS is solid and smooth for this software.

A solid 60 FPS might be a bit unrealistic with all of the complex physics and other systems at play, alongside the detailed graphics. Personally, I’ve not once looked at a FPS monitor and so have never been troubled by trying to achieve anything higher than 30; I have no idea what the FPS is at any time, but it always looks perfectly smooth.

I completely disagree. It’s well known that MSFS2020 only uses 4 CPU cores, I have an i9-10900 which has 10 cores (20 with hyperthreading). Add to that when we can get our hands on an RTX 3080 there’s no reason this SIM shouldn’t be able to hit 60fps. The problem is programming and Direct X 11. I am extremely confident that in time with updates and a move to Direct X 12 we should be able to maintain 60fps. I too agree that a solid 60fps isn’t completely necessary but I cannot agree that 30fps is perfectly adequate. I still see some slightly jerky motion the lower I look (down) on the screen at buildings and objects below. A simulator should replicate realism as much as technically possible and a smooth frame rate helps give a more realistic feel and more seamless immersion.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m on an RTX 2070 (non-super) currently and am quite happy with the performance. However I am very much looking forward to Direct X 12 and the possibility of an update that takes advantage of all CPU cores.

2 Likes

Fair points. I think we’ll definitely see significant improvements when they switch to DX12, including improved reflections.

2 Likes

Hi all, after reading this thread I tried a few of the settings recommended, I must say there has been nil to low fps loss with a significant improvement in quality, especially the horrible jagged edges I used to see on the wings etc. I will share my system spec and screenshots of my sim/settings below.

Spec:
i7-9700 @4.7GHz (non K)
RTX 2070 Super
16GB RAM
1080p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Settings:

Screenshot (177)

Here are the in sim screenshots:

1 Like

I kind of noticed a difference with your settings but it wasn’t major on my end. Glad its working for you.

I think the devs need to address AA especially at 1080p. My support tickets keep getting closed without them regarding it which is a little disappointing.

2 Likes

Where do you change the sharpen to 0?

C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

UserCfg.opt (Open with note and scroll down towards the bottom).

If you leave sharpness set to 1 with the above settings, the sim will look horribly sharp, so set it to 0.

Are these setting just for 1080p or can it work with a 1440p resolution?

I had a go at recreating the North America video from the dev update this week to see if it looks as good on my rig as it does on their video. First off I only have 2K (2560x1440), so bear that in mind, plus recording the video does introduce some smaller stuttering in places - I don’t get these when not recording. You can see my frame rate in the video. At one point it got really low. By then I;d been hopping all over North America, and so I restarted the sim and it returned to the usual 40+ FPS. To me, this looks prety close to the official video. Let me know what you think. Settings/rig below:

Rig:
i9 10900K
RTX 2080 super
32Gb RAM
MSFS on dedicated SSD
Windows store version
Windows 10, version 2004

Settings:

I also have made changes to nVidia control panel - I don’t know if they make much difference though:

1 Like

Course it would get really low settings pushed to high for your hardware and one of the weak points on the 2080super it has 8gb of vram.When you restart the sim the vram,ram resets

What am I doing wrong that my buildings don’t look like yours! I have the same cpu/ram/ gpu as you!!

What are your specs, I also have a 1440p. My sim doesn’t look near like that. What am I doing wrong?

My specs:
i9-10900k
2080 super
32 gb ram
1440p 144mhz