10FPS with RTX 3080 in VR with Reverb G2. Solutions?

Thanks. I adjusted SteamVR SS with MSFS open. Will try prior the game.

I also have a quest2 and it can run pretty smooth and pretty awfull. I discovered that the sequence you start vr makes a big difference. Dont go in vr when you are already in the plane, you ll get a slide show. Make sure your quest link is connected first next start fs2020 the moment you get the fs2020 dashboard to setup the flight options etc go to vr using the keys you assigned. Then you setup your flight and wait until you enter the cockpit. If i do it in this order i get decent framerates. My problem is that I get a quest link disconnect at random times if that happens and i want to reenter vr the pc becomes terribly slow. I have to stop fs2020 and restart the pc as i have the impression vr suffers memory leak or something. This is how I discovered vr startup sequence makes a difference, especially with quest link. I have an i7 k8700 running at 4,9ghz and rtx 2080 32gb ddr4 ram 3000, fs2020 ms store version

I’ve posted a link to “My VR Settings - Index” above, and I’m preparing the article for “My VR Settings - G2” soon. In the meantime, I’ve tried capturing what I do get with the G2 which you might find interesting:

Smooth A320 low level flight over photogrammetry - Through the lens video with the G2 (9700K + 2070S)

Just saw this. I would be so happy if I could reach this smoothness on my 3080 / 3700X / 64Gb RAM. I’m not sue what’s causing all this stuttering mess I’m having. I followed several sets of guidelines, including yours, tried WMR OpenXR and SteamVR OXR and 50% scaling 100% TAA and still it was bad… I’d love to have this smoothness.

Do this first. Go to your Nvidia control panel and set it to default and if you have an option change individual settings for performance or application controlled. set the OpenXR dev tools slider for to 70%, turn off reprojection. Set the ingame VR settings to default. I did this and have very acceptable clarity and framerates. From here you can try turning on/up various options in the VR settings in MSFS. Most of the options can be seen instantly once you hit apply. If you have the devmode FPS counter turned on you can see how it is affecting performance. You will have to look at the counter on the 2D monitor since its not fully visible in the HMD. You can also note if the sim is CPU or GPU bound.

1 Like

Just FYI, when I’ve been hopping in these forums over the last few days, I don’t just start scrolling through the VR section…instead I go right to your profile and look at your activity to get an idea of what I’ve missed.

2 Likes

Exactly same story on my side. Pretty much your config except I have 9700k and 2080s. Like you said it’s about this sequence and later on it might randomly disconnect the link and go to 10fps. Though I found after reconnecting without leaving a flight it goes back to good fps (around 35-40 with my settings). Took me several on/ff vr mode within game, I still couldn’t track the reason or good work around. I’m just blaming the link itself. Though I do run it with official facebook overpriced peace of type c wire…

Hi, same here I have a 2080 super. Just reconnecting does not work, it reconnects but with a much worse framerate. A trick that seems to help is exiting VR in FS2020 (without leaving the flight) killing the OVRServer_x64.exe process next reestablish ocolus link and re-enter VR in FS2020, framerates are again ok…until the next link disconnect. I don’t know if its a hardware problem (usb-c), driver problem or wire problem (official link cable), but it happens radomly, not only FS also other programs fail sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes over 1 hour. Just switched from Rift CV1 to Quest 2, although Rift resolution is not that great I never had any issues with stability. Really asking myself if i should keep the quest, it’s brand new but very unstable.

Same thoughts, I think it’s a software issues related to the way they compress and transfer image though the link. Cause I found same complains going half year back where people see same problems in Alyx or project cars (like heave graphic games on PC). There is one solution being offered to assign high priority to OVRServer_x64.exe in your processes. Didn’t work for me.
I’ll probably return my quest if not find a solution to that. Otherwise when it works it’s pretty nice picture and 30 fps seems to be smooth enough on my end.

Hi maybe it’s a good thing to share what you’ve tried so far, so we can eliminate things that don’t work.
This is my list, so far no success with these actions below:
-Make sure the cable is properly connected in HMD - and computer (my graphic card)
-Add a tape over the HMD sensor inside to keep it alive all time
-Power Setting in Quest 2 not to go to sleep after 4 hours
-Kill + restart OVRserver_x64.exe
-set Priority realtime on OVRserver_x64.exe
-Bios disable USB legacy
-Windows EnergyPower settings - maximum performance + USB sleep disabled
-Set Power setings mandatory with group policy / regkey
Specify Default Active Power Plan in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
-moving my head all the time :slight_smile: (to make sure the quest thinks the HMD is used intensively)
-same with the sticks (as you don’t use them in FS maybe the HMD thinks there’s no activity)

Some observations:
when having the disconnect I always noticed this entry in eventvwr:
Usermodpowerservice (event id 12) Proces C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (proces-id:8408) restore energy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}
(made this go away by setting the powerplan + set as group policy)
Thought I found the solution, until another disconnect happened :frowning:

In the eventlog I still have 1 entry that seems to come back when the disconnection occur:
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Event ID: 10016
Description: The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user BLABLA from address LocalHost (using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_BLABLA SID (BLABLA). . This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Haven’t found a way to solve it, but there’s even an article from Mircrosoft. Unfortunately they say, oh just ignore these errors or apply a filter to make them go away :slight_smile:
Event ID 10016 is logged in Windows - Windows Client | Microsoft Docs

Are you also seeing these entries when a disconnect happens? I wonder if they are related, or just show up as a result of the disconnection?

Add me to this list.

I have a 9900k, MSI 3090 Suprim X, and a Vive Pro and the game plays at 10 fps.

I really don’t understand how this is happening. Every other VR flight sim that I have works MUCH better than this.

1 Like

For sure, MSFS in VR should be fluid with a 3090, the issue may be with the nvidia drivers. I have a 2080Ti/i9-9900k/Index and it is playable in VR but it took me several hours to find the right settings, performance was very poor at the beginning.

I had to enable hyperthreading, revert to the driver 457.30, use SS 220 in Steam VR and 70 TAA in MSFS.

The result is stunning, MSFS in vr blows every other flight simulator out of the water.
Well done Asobo and I hope they keep optimizing VR , it needs more performance

2 Likes

It is not for WMR only. It’s also for Oculus.

Same here. I7-8700K, RTX 3070, 32 GB RAM, Reverb G2, 12 FPS in VR

When I fly in normal “PC” Mode my CPU and GPU usage in the Task Managers Performance Tab is around 50%, and I get 40-something FPS. Switching to VR drops my GPU Usage to around 13% (!) and CPU Usage to 40%. My Frames instantly drop down to 12 FPS. I tried all the nice Tips from the Bang-For-Buck Post, and followed a dozen Tuning Guides on Youtube. No Luck yet.

What I don’t understand: What has SteamVR to do witth MSFS when using a WMR Headset? Thats only of interest if you are using an Oculus or SteamVR Headset, right?

For the G2 there are two flows: You can choose which OpenXR to use, but I think it goes through SteamVR anyway. I do have a Steam MFS version though, so maybe if you don’t, and opt to use WMR OpenXR it won’t even touch Steam, but for me it goes through Steam and SteamVR I think.

It shouldn’t go through SteamVR. I have the Steam version of the game too. When you play with G2, neither SteamVR nor Windows Mix Reality for SteamVR should be running. You just have the Mixed Reality Portal running behind the scene.

You might want to review this about OpenXR, SteamVR, WMR and which is which:

You can use the SteamVR OpenXR driver with any WMR headset

Maybe, I don’t remember if I see the SteamVR popping up, I’ll pay attention later. I got SteamVR to work, but the performance is better with WMR OpenXR directly, so I’m sticking with it. Not entirely sure of SteamVR is involved in any way behind the scenes, maybe not. CptLucky8 will know better. Either way, the answer to the original quesion is that if you choose to use SteamVR OpenXR than you will have SteamVR running, that is the way it’s relevant.

1 Like

OK, so I’ve just upgraded from a 1080ti to a 3080, and in Flight Sim VR the performance loss is unbearable. I’m getting the low fps and it seems that changing the settings doesn’t impact the performance.

My settings in Open XR etc. are the same as with 1080ti, but foolish me I bumped some low to medium. Nevertheless, no matter how I tinker with the settings in-cockpit, the fps is unbearably low.

Is this related to the driver issues? Because the major diff is that with the 1080ti I rolled back the driver to an old one that ran well - can’t do that with the 3080.

What an ‘upgrade’, the 1080ti was good enough in basically all other games I’m playing, but I was looking forward to Flight Sim VR - now I went from OK performance to garbage by spending lots of money.

1 Like

I suspected that much! Many people are talking about great experience with 1080ti or 2070 - while I have a bad one with 3080 no matter what I tried. Please open the ticket with Asobo Zendesk! IF that’s purely a driver issue, they could elevate it with Nvidia, they will be paid attention to. Your experience is very important because it clearly shows a bug, you had an opportunity to compare and now we know that it’s really a huge deal. Please also reply to the main G2 optimization thread as we’re not alone - many people are puzzled by this, but nobody has actually upgraded during the VR availability to know this for a fact.