10FPS with RTX 3080 in VR with Reverb G2. Solutions?

This is very similar to what I am experiencing also. I have similar system specs except running an RTX 2070 Super.

If I turn OFF Motion Reprojection in OpenXR, I am no longer CPU limited, but GPU limited and my GPU usage goes to nearly 100%.

So it seems like until OpenXR and/or MSFS has better CPU optimization, we are stuck with deciding if we want to use lower settings with Motion Reprojection, or leave it off and get better graphics and FPS.

i Have almost the same system as you have! What Nvidia driver are you running at? Go with the 457.30 it is still the best for MSFS 2020.
I do not use the Openxr tool just ingame render Scale on 80-70 and I get about 30-40 FPS in dens cities with everythin on high and TAA on 130%.

1 Like

With reverting to driver 457.30 and disabling motion reprojection I got around 30fps with gpu limitation.
I don’t know what’s more worse, 20fps or no smooth head movement…

Why is motion reproduction eating that much cpu power, which we don’t even see in the cpu workload?
Is this an openxr, or a FS issue? :thinking:

I have to agree with all you say, with all the hype about the 3000 cards and G2 the performance is really bad lots of jitter and screen freezing in VR, my desktop runs perfect could ask for nothing better ultra settings all round flawless, the vr and the cost to put it all together sorry but not impressed.

Try this.

1. steam VR setting. Render resolution; Auto
    Advanced supersample filtering; On

2. pre-App video settings. Motion smoothing. use global settings.
    Reprojection. On

If it doesn’t work try this too.
On the VR controller press joystick down. in the menu, VR settings press disable.
Or try this totally different approach. OpenXR

ON
Custom render scale 60%
motion reprojection, Always on.

In-game, render scale 100

Give it five minutes flying, see what you think, it’s certainly smooth and with the render scale
at 100 it’s pin-sharp too.

Chin up and keep trying. Obviously, you still need to adjust in-game settings.

1 Like

You are getting 30-40 fps in dense areas with high settings with OXR not installed (I.e. 100%) and MSFS TAA at 130% well that would make your render resolution for the G2 to be 4113 x 4024! :slight_smile:

LOL comon on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, how is your system similar, I’m guessing you must have a lower resolution headset than a G2, like a Rift S perhaps?..

UPDATE: Even though, while it’s far from smooth on a OC 2080Ti it is actually playable at 4113 x 4024 well I never!

UPDATE 2: Looking at the screenshot it looks like it posts 3164 x 3096 so therefore it’s pointless to render above that resolution? On the G2 anyway.

It is not pointless at all!

Ideally you’d need to render at 200% SS to restore the 100% resolution signal. I’m over simplifying this here, but it is related to the Nyquist frequency (which is the reason CD is sampling at 44.1, twice as much as human hearing capability):

Nyquist frequency - Wikipedia

The video card can use optimizations to sampling as-if it was 2x but with less sampling points and therefore much better perf:

Supersampling - Wikipedia

This is one of the reason if you use an Index with TAA 200 and SteamVR SS 100, you get a clear boost in legibility rivaling the G2 resolution. Especially more so given the G2 resolution advantage is quickly lost past the small disk of clarity in the center and is becoming lower than the effective Index resolution you can see nearly edge-to-edge.

Thanks will do

I agree @CptLucky8 :+1:, I was just saying it looks like the MSFS engine only posts 3164 x 3096 to the headset. Maybe I understood this incorrectly - that’s why I concluded with a question mark. :slight_smile:

VR-2

Sure it does, but in shrinking the higher resolution render, effectively super sampling a 3164x3096 image from a 4113x4024 render.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense providing it does of course sample that resolution as well. Thanks again!

1 Like

Same here with the 2080ti.
Great in VR 38fps min.

I sometimes experience a strange phenomenon. When I startup the simulator, put my little Cessna on a ramp and switch to my Reverb 1, I find horrible performance with severe stuttering, black fields to the left and right when turning the head and fps < 10 (reported by fpsVR, if running). The sim is effectively unusable this way.

Now I switch to/from VR once, or even twice, maybe a fullscreen/windowed change in-between, and at a point stuttering is completely gone, black fields are gone, and fps are 20+ (that’s my usual value) and I can fly now smoothly.

I am using SteamVR OXR. All this happens without leaving the simulator in-between and without changing any settings in Sim or SteamVR.

I know this isn’t a scientific account, but after observing it several times, there seems to be some plot behind it. Moreover, I think to myself, perhaps some starters might just experience the < 10 fps, declare MSFS non-fit for VR and put it to rest.

Anyone else having ever observed this? Does anyone have an explanation what’s going on?

Can you explain, please? Are you actually switching out of VR and
then back again.

Yes, Ctrl + Tab twice. As I said, sometimes Alt + Enter in between. Sometimes it’s also closing SteamVR and letting it restart upon the nect Ctrl + Tab.

I know, that’s a blurry statement, but the essence is, I sometimes get very bad VR performance on startup, and after “some” of those steps I get good one, without either restarting the sim and/or changing any settings.

Thanks, Michael for your response however that didn’t work for me.

I have OpenXR completely turned off. I am also still having stuttering…At the beginning of
beta testing, it was smoother than now. I’m still trying to investigate some more tweaks. If you do eventually come up with a solution please let me know.

1 Like

I am running a 3080 with a 10700k and 32gb ram on a Reverb G2. I am experiencing an interesting thing where no matter what my settings are, I am not getting above 30fps (using the devtools FPS counter). Even when the fps hovers around 30fps, I still get minor frame drops that make the sim stutter, ruining the immersion and smoothness.

I do my stress testing out of KLAX in the TBM with LA area manual cached, and I experienced small stutters and FR drops, but could get up above 20-25 fps. I then tried reducing my settings, at which point I was getting 25-30 fps, but never above 30. I then switched to Centennial Airport in the Denver area - not nearly as dense as LA, and I still could not get over 30 fps. I then reduced ALL my settings by reverting to MSFS VR default settings, and still was getting capped at 30 fps. It’s like there was a wall at 30fps that I could not surpass. I noticed that my CPU, GPU, and VRam were never coming close to getting maxed out, either. Any thoughts as to why this may be occurring?

Note: My testing has involved adjusting OpenXR from 50-80% and adjusting TAA in accordance, with TAA never going above 100. I still could not even go over 30fps with OXR at 50 and TAA at 70. With this combo, plus other settings at default values, I feel like my CPU and GPU should be able to get me above 30fps.

I should also add that my goal here is not to simply chase higher FPS. I am fine with 30fps, but I want smooth and consistent 30fps. Not 30fps with stutters and drops.

Yes, it feels like there is a brickwall 3000 series are hitting, something is fishy. When MSFS is GPU-limited, a GPU that’s more than twice as fast than last generation should get better results, if not twice as fast, but at least significantly faster, by a large margin. That’s what I’m seeing in other games and in Alyx etc. (edit: AND in MSFS 2D mode! upgrading from 1660 to 3080 got me from unplayable 4K 2D to very smooth 4K, about 2x better FPS - too bad I don’t want 4K and want VR) So the GPU is indeed very fast, including VR. But not in MSFS. Instead it seems it’s not getting any faster (if not slower) than older and much cheaper cards. I resigned to waiting for the next couple of updates to see if they fix the drivers or MSFS to work better with 3000 series cards.

2 Likes

It might sound silly to ask but you never know: can you make sure you didn’t enable fps limiter in the NVidia Control Panel? Can you also make sure you didn’t enable VSYNC in FS2020 PC graphics settings (the ones for 2D flying)?

1, OpenXR
ON
Custom render scale 100%
Motion reprojection, Disabled.

2, In Steam VR inside your hp reverb
press down on the thumbstick and
select VR settings and disable.

3, In-game match the render with OpenXR

Try 100% first then lower the render scale
in OpenXR and in-game equally down to what you’re happy with

Hope that helps you.