115 GB Mandatory Update?

same here forced a compleate reinstallation, was as well Beta Member, hope it saved settings

Forgot to mention, yes, my settings were all reset… but I’ve come to expect that. I have to assume there’s a method of saving a copy of a config file that we could restore? I get everything set nicely for VR and the next day it always gets messed up somehow.

1 Like

When I left the beta I had a mandatory full download as well, but I swear it didn’t ask me where to put it and just installed it in the standard location, and now I have two Packages (Community and Official) folders on two different drives…

1 Like

Happened here too.
I decided to make the whole PC empty and doing a fresh Windows 11 install.
So, this weekend I’ll be downloading lots of data…. ( again)

Now I’m really upset … Was on beta – So I uninstalled, and did a clean install all last night, This morning it ran.
I did a long flight while I was at work, and after 6 hours I was down from 45FPS to about 10 FPS.

So I thought I would try again without Internet - set MSFS OFFLINE & closed it down.
When I restarted to do my flight , it said I needed an UPDATE !!! but would not update— so I had to uninstall again, and start a whole new Install !!!

When you leave Beta the cfg file gets deleted. In the new cfg file you need to the bottom and change it to the correct drive location of your packages. Otherwise the sim asks you to do a whole new reinstall because the default packages location is empty.

All you have to do is select the folder location where your sim is installed. Once you click update, it will see that everything is still there and sim will load like normal.

3 Likes

Yep that’s what I found when this happened to me a few days ago.

1 Like

I left the beta prior to Jan 13 and got a full 113 GB update. Is that necessary? Did I do something wrong?

Was your Packages installation in the Default Directory?

Point your installer to the current install location then it should be okay.

1 Like

Same problem, told him my Installation path, but it looks like it downloads the whole Sim

Ah. I had the beta installed too, but I thought it updated automatically when the release version came out. I forgot about having to leave the beta.

Yes it was.

The Public Beta announcements cautioned against joining if your Packages folder was in a Default path. Your chances of getting a complete re-download were minimized but not guaranteed if you moved them to a custom path before joining. So far, that has proven to be the case for the majority of Beta users in this round.

1 Like

Me too. there was an update in ms store, updated it, taskbar icon disappeared, clicked on start menu ms icon, it ran to update then wanted to install complete sim, just checked it is installing in same drive all ok. just going to let it run for hours. Had a lovely morning planned on there. :hot_face:

ah ■■■■, totally forgot about that, glad I came on here,

Is this a bug in the installer? Why is it unable to see my current installation?

I don’t think it’s a bug. That’s just the technical advice from the Team to keep it outside the standard C:\ path.

I’m not on MS-Store, but I have monitored many threads where keeping a default installation already causes challenges even not participating in a Beta. All the basic Security settings to the path, symbolic linking, etc. So it’s not surprising that you’d want to keep your Packages out of those possibilities.