Still managed to get down to 45 fps with frame doubling, 13900K, and 4090 around Seattle with the detail/LOD cranked up. Kudos, Asobo/MS, for keeping the tradition going, that dates back to the 90s, of flight sims bringing state-of-the-art hardware to its knees. :slight_smile: Don’t even ask me the frame rate at OrbX KRNT with FSLTL traffic going

That said, the 13900K is a dramatic improvement in MSFS over my 10900K.

2 Likes

Both my 13900 KF (all 8 P cores) and 4090 are approaching 100% full load on runway (40-60fps). Never seen enough hardware power to satisfy MSFS 2020, especially in VR.

1 Like

I’m sorry but I need to ask.

What was your FPS with FSLTL? What was the scenario? What were your FSLTL settings? Which plane were you flying? I’m hoping a 4090 paired with a 7950 X3D will allow me to fly smoothly with full traffic and ultra settings at 4k. Am I being unrealistic?

It depends on the where you’re flying, but even in a really dense scenario (LAX with pretty high FSLTL setttings, below), I went from a base frame rate of 92 fps with no traffic to 63-65 with FSLTL set to these aggressive settings:

This is on a 5,120x1440 49-inch ultrawidescreen, so pushing a similar number of pixels as 4K.

That’s with DLSS set to DLAA (so no upscaling), Terrain LOD at 250, object detail at 200. Everything on Ultra except Bloom, depth of field, and motion blur set to off.

Again, that’s a worst case scenario. Up at 35,000 feet, chasing an FSLTL airliner in the M-346, I was getting about 130 fps with FSLTL at those settings.

I’m essentially getting about 150% of the frame rate as I was getting with the 10900K before turning on the frame doubling. With the 4090 set to DLAA with the frame interpolation, I haven’t found anywhere where I can’t get a smooth flight, even with FSLTL settings pretty high.

2 Likes

Has anybody got their i9-13900KF yet? Just wondering from Canada.

Oh Hi everybody,
Cheers
PACO572

2 Likes

got mine on saturday but forgot to get a 1700 socket mounting bracket for the cooler :neutral_face:
somehow I thought this would be included with the mainboard
it is in delivery now, hoping it will arrive today lol
upgrading from 9900kf and am around 40 fps mainthread limited of course
Im on 2 monitors in with a 3070 in 1080p so I hope to get some nice improvement
EDIT: dont know what to say. absolutely blown away
 next step 2k monitor

1 Like

I just ordered 13900k today. But haven’t decided yet on motherboard and RAM. Any recommendation on a good ones with good prices?

1 Like

Me too, just ordered an i9-13900K half an hour ago. Don’t know which mainboard and RAM to go, either DDR4 to inherit 64GB I am currently having, or completely new DDR5 bloody expensive, but future proof. Hard to decide, going to buy nearly a complete new system and still stay with old tech. DDR4 for next 3 years looks obsoleted to me.

Maximus Hero Z790 or Aorus Master Z790 is on my consideration as they are being available. The cheaper MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi was on my list but sold out everywhere, next batch probably first on Jan 2023.

What is the difference in FPS? Im looking to upgrade to the 13900K or KS from the 9900KS. I have a 4090 but I am quite cpu bounded most of the time. Would love to know how much better it is
thanks!

well as I said Im on 1080p 60 hz so 60 fps is the maximum which I dont get constantly, it depends on the situation and I have a ton of addons installed, over standard nyc i get 60 fps in a pa28 but thats not the most demanding situation, thats why I dont understand why people always use it as a test. In the most demanding cases, at an international airport in the a32nx with live traffic and all that good stuff Im also still cpu limited, especially when setting terrain LOD to more than 100-150. I guess paired with a your 4090 and the benefit of dlss3 you could be really happy lol (not that the 9900ks isnt still a hell of a cpu, it also depends on your personal liking, your willingness to spend money) I started building pc when msfs came out and went from a 7700 to 9900kf to 13900kf, just because I love this sim and want to have maximum fun. omg I am starting to justify spending 700 € on a chip lol. no,no. it was worth it

1 Like

Yeah if I upgraded I would have the buy a new Motherboard, Ram and the CPU so it would be another $2500 probably lol. I’ll see when more tests come out and maybe wait for the 13900KS which will be 6.0ghz

So those of us still rocking 7700’s & DDR2 ram should be pleased? :joy:

I finally got my new rig built with a 13900KF and 4090. I wouldn’t wait for the 13900KS, as the current 13900K can easily be pushed to 6.2 Ghz peak frequency with minimal effort. In my opinion, it’s not worth the roughly $150 premium price tag Intel will impose on the 13900KS edition.

On a side note, the 13900K is definitely a powerful CPU. I though the 5950X was still beastly, but this absolutely blows it away in single-core performance. Not much overclocking room as it’s already pushed to the max, but some fine-tuning can push the peak single-core frequency to 6.2 Ghz and all-core load to 5.7 Ghz.

3 Likes

So
 as a 99% of the time VR MSFS simmer I will get my new build parts tomorrow: 4090, 13900K 32 GB DDR4 Corsair 1000W psu. Very curious in how it wil hold in VR (Reverb G2). Not so much interested in 2D performance gain, as that is already very good imho in my current system, 3090 10900K 32 GB DDR4, 32 inch 4K monitor.

VR performance is usually bottlenecked at the GPU, so your 4090 will provide the biggest performance boost for VR. I don’t think you will see much of a performance boost from a 13900k while using VR.

Still below 60 fps with high-ultra settings and 3000px per-eye resolution.

Similar results here. But at least way better, and smoother than old situation.

would be intersting to see impact of the new mainboard only, with the “old” 3090 graphics nvidia !

I wanted to share the rig I built for a friend who has been flying Flight Sim since the 80s and has a dedicated flight sim rig at his place of business.

I built a new rig with the following hardware:

ASUS ROG Z790 Maximus Hero
Intel 13900K
G.Skill DDR5 memory
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090
Samsung 980 2TB M.2 SSD

It drives three 65" 4K Samsung curved TVs that were purchased about 6 years ago. They aren’t HDR but the point is for this rig to drive three 4K displays as it has done for X-Plane 10 and 11 for years. We first tried X-Plane 12 copying all the multiple monitor settings we’d done before and it works well. But the torture test was FS2020 which is WU11 and everything downloaded.

Nvidia’s Gaming console suggested pretty stiff graphics parameters for this including DLSS3 - Performance, Terrain at 350 and nearly everything at “ULTRA” (except for cockpit refresh). After watching some Youtubers set up multiple monitors, it was pretty straightforward and I had to tweak the zoom feature to 70 to get everything to line up between screens.

So this morning we decided to throw flying a Cessna through Manhattan using the Discovery Flight as a quick torture test. And it pretty much kept to 28-32 fps, which is exactly what we were hoping for. So we then changed DLSS3 to “Quality” to see what they did. There were a few times where the FPS dipped to 23-25 but this was brief and it pretty much stayed at 30 fps, give or take a frame or two the whole time, so we left it at “Quality”.

The RTX 4090 is the real deal. And if you have multiple screens, yes you can do this and yes, you can do this at 4K if 30 fps is agreeable to you. If you want more, you’ll have to dial some things back. But we both thought this was extremely flyable and very pretty.

At this point, the only thing my friend’s rig needs are some tweaks. FS2020 doesn’t automatically deal with the controls of his Yoko yoke and neither or us are that skilled at FS2020 to quickly do configuration so I will need to do some research and return to his studio in a few days (he’s been more an X-Plane guy). And there are other controls that aren’t quite working either that will need to be configured, things that X-Plane does out of the box. But once I get the hand of it, hopefully it shouldn’t be too difficult.

The 4090 is the real deal if you have the resources to get one.Lets be honest here majoirty of PC “gamers” or simmers cannot afford one :wink:

1 Like