2021 MSFS Charity Endurance Race Series Event 1: Indian Pacific Wing Race (YPPH to YSSY) Update: Prize from Microsoft!

Hello pilots!

The first of the 2021 Endurance Race Series events is fast approaching! In this event, participants will fly from the Indian to the Pacific Ocean, racing across Australia from Perth (YPPH) to Sydney (YSSY).

Event Description
April 3-4, 2021
Perth (YPPH) to Sydney (YSSY), Australia
1,773 nautical miles
Estimated flying time: ~15-16 hours at an average ground speed of 120 knots
Charity to support: Royal Flying Doctor Service
“…a solo, single-stage, unsupported, road cycling race ocean-to-ocean across Australia. The race starts in Fremantle, Western Australia and finishes at the Sydney Opera House whenever you get there. The clock does not stop. There is no prize money. Nothing is at stake except honour.” Thus reads the description of the Indian Pacific Wheel Race (affectionately known as the “IndyPac”), said to be cycling’s most grueling long-distance challenge. We will be re-creating this incredible overland journey by air, flying an eastbound course across the entire length of Australia from Perth (the closest airport to Fremantle) to Sydney.

All events in the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series start at 8:00am in the local time zone of the departure airport. Depending on your time zone, this event could start on either April 3 or April 4. The official start time is midnight UTC on April 4. For those participants from North America, that is 8pm ET / 5pm PT on April 3.

Charity
As part of this event, please consider supporting Australia’s Royal Flying Doctor Service, a not-for-profit aeromedical organization. If you are livestreaming your race, please promote this organization and solicit donations from your viewers.

https://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/donate/

Prize
@Jummivana is generously donating one (1) Orbx Cityscape Sydney scenery pack to the winner of this event courtesy of Microsoft!

Indian Pacific Wing Race Rules

1. Full realism settings in MSFS must be enabled. In the Options Menu, “Piloting” must be set to “Hard” with the exception of “Take-off Auto Rudder” which can be on or off depending on your preference. “Aircraft Systems” and “Failure & Damage” must be set to “Hard”. All “Navigation Aids” must be turned off with the exception of “Taxi Ribbon” which can be on or off depending on your preference.
    1a. The procedure for refueling is as follows: land at any airport and come to a complete stop. You can then re-fill your fuel tanks using the in-game menu along the top of the screen. You must wait a minimum of 10 minutes before taking off again for the next leg of your flight. During this 10 minute wait, you are permitted to taxi and reposition your plane, but you must remain on the ground and not exceed 50 knots.
  2. Live Weather and Live Time must be turned on for the entire duration of the flight.
  3. Everyone will take off from YPPH simultaneously at exactly 8:00am Australian Western Standard Time (0000Z) on April 4. We will be playing on the home server of the departure airport (South-East Asia server).
  4. Pilots are free to plot their own individual flight plans from YPPH to YSSY. Waypoints and cruising altitudes are at each pilot’s discretion.
  5. Pilots can choose any of the default aircraft included in the Standard, Premium, or Premium Deluxe versions of MSFS (no custom add-on aircraft allowed), but you may only fly single piston engine GA planes. No airliners, jets, turboprops, or multi-engine aircraft are allowed.
    5a. Additionally, the Beechcraft Bonanza is banned due to having substantially better performance than all the other GA planes.
    5b. All planes must be flown stock from Asobo/Microsoft. No 3rd party mods, including liveries and flight model enhancements, are permitted.
    5c. You are not permitted to switch aircraft types partway through the run. You must fly the same plane for the entire duration of the race.
  6. Enabling the autopilot is allowed and, in fact, is encouraged. Please take bathroom breaks and periodically get up to stretch.
  7. Successfully landing at any airport creates a “save point”. If you crash (either virtually in the sim or your computer crashes), you may “respawn” and continue the race from your last “save point”. Your elapsed time does not reset, however.
    7a. You can create a “save point” by performing a quick touch-and-go landing at any airport. You may not refuel during a touch-and-go, however. Refueling is only permitted if you wait on the ground for 10 minutes per Rule 1a.
  8. All pilots must track their flight using https://simair.io/. This is to validate everyone’s time, flight path, and refueling.
  9. The deadline for registering for this event is 2359Z on Sunday, March 28.

2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series Rules

1. Each race in the series will have an individual winner.
  2. The Grand Champion of the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series will be the pilot with the fastest total time across all four events combined.
  3. You must fly a unique aircraft type in each event to qualify for the Grand Champion. You may not fly the same plane in more than one race.
    3a. Additionally, you may only fly one (1) of the following three planes across all four races: Cirrus SR22, Extra 330LT, Pitts Special S2S. For example, if you fly the Cirrus in the Australia event, you may not fly ANY of the Cirrus, Extra, or Pitts in any of the subsequent three races.

Registration Form (Deadline is 2359Z on March 28)

7 Likes

Here is a countdown timer to the start of the race. Reminder that the event starts at 8am local time in Perth on Sunday, April 4 which could be Saturday, April 3 for you depending where you are in the world! Be sure to confirm the exact start date/time in your local time zone.

Reserved for future updates (2).

Looks fun, will you be streaming it?

Of course, same as last time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

so this means that the start time is April 3rd 7 PM Eastern time and April 3rd 4 PM Western US time?

For a second there, i thought it started on Sunday EST and not Saturday and that i wasn’t going to be able to partake

The start time is 8am local time in Perth, Australia (0000Z) on Sunday, April 4. That is equivalent to 8pm EDT or 5pm PDT on Saturday, April 3. See the image below for the start time in various different time zones:

1 Like

I want to make a suggestion based on what happened last time during the Cannonball Run with weather. Require everyone to start the flight up with clear skies for weather and then after the flight loads up switch to live weather. That way, live weather should work on all flights.

5 Likes

Further to this, if a host (Seedy) forms a group for the event, all participants join the group and whatever settings Seedy has, everyone will have.

Aren’t groups limited to 6 people or something like that?

2 Likes

Bugger.

Oh well, disregard…unless the number of organisers and number of participants is divisible by 6.

Gotta say…this is brilliant.

Planning things out, I was going to fly the Pitts for the 1st event but then thought…it starts at 1am my time…I want an autopilot.

3 Likes

im going to assume scenery add-ons are still allowed as long as they dont add something like a new airport that isnt in msfs and are only modifying existing scenert.

if that is the case, this might be a good freeware scenery for people to use for our departure out of ypph

Yes, that’s correct.

So I am new. I will be doing the NY flight. Where are we heading?

Hi whyFrantic,

This event is a race across Australia from Perth to Sydney. The Cannonball Run event (New York to Los Angeles) comes later in the year on December 26.

Please see this thread for more information about the four events that make up the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series: Introducing the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series (Charity fundraising group flights)

Ok cool, I guess I will start doing some practice flights to train for it. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve done this in real life (well Melbourne to Sydney) in a C172. All I can say is, bring water, a desert survival kit, and watch your fuel stops! There’s a whole lot of ‘nothing’ out there!

2 Likes

Hey is there a discord where we can join for further questions?

Hi @Prwoler8165,

There is a Discord server you can join for this event (link below), but I encourage you to ask any questions you have here in case other participants were wondering the same thing.