[OFFICIAL] Weekly Dev Update Screenshot Challenge: Spontaneous Landing

Hi everyone,

It’s time for another screenshot challenge! The idea is to collectively explore different parts of the world together - areas that may be very familiar to you or perhaps a new place you have never flown before. Feel free to find others to fly with to capture the challenge, or go solo!

This past week we challenged you to take a screenshot “The Grass is Greener." The winner is @InertialArc8286

This Week’s Challenge

Spontaneous Landing: Capture a screenshot of an “emergency” landing that probably you should never do in real life…

Rules

1. Any time of day
  2. Any type of weather
  3. Default aircraft and liveries

The rest is fair game! Feel free to submit as many as you want. Use your creativity! We will pick the top 11 shots. 1 will be featured as the main photo of the next dev update and the other 10 will be featured in the community section.

You may also add a watermark or username to your image if you wish.

Suggestions

As an FYI, we will be flying over Solomon Islands on April 2nd on our Official Twitch Stream for our weekly community fly-in. If you haven’t found a good reason to join and fly with us yet, consider joining for that sweet sweet screenshot! All skill levels welcome.

How To Submit Your Screenshot

Just post them below here in this thread. :slight_smile: Thank you for participating and have fun!

Note: This thread is for screenshot submissions only. Unless you have a particular question about the challenge, please do not engage in casual conversation here. Thank you!

Very nice. Thank you!

1 Like

Good day! I will try and take part in the competition.

EDIT: at the end of this post, I attempt a non-powered landing in Lukla… :cold_face:

Live weather “fun”…

Stormy Bugalaga, Papuan Indonesia

I didn’t just slew the aircraft and took a picture: I actually did fly there:
I wanted live weather, and I got live weather! Not the runway for that plane, not the best weather, but to me, cancelling is a wasted opportunity: you only improve when it’s tough and rough. Watch the flight here

Windy day on the Isles of Scilly. Compare the Ground Speed and the IAS…

Again, live weather, and very windy. Most would consider flying a bad idea; to me, it’s an opportunity. Yep, it is from a flight, no slewing, no cheating:

Windy Winter day in Lukla:

This picture can truly be appreciated when you realise what it was actually like:

Stonehenge

From this flight:

The Experiment:

Watch the video here:

I decided to land with the engine OFF in Lukla, in Live Weather… with the Extra 330LT.
Taking into account the following facts, I definitely make life harder for myself, but this is exactly the point: to see how I can deal with difficult conditions!

• the High Density Altitude (basically, the thin air at 9000+ ft above sea level)
  • the Extra 330LT is NOT really the safest and easiest plane to land in Lukla
  • the Live weather, which turned out to be windy, and when landing, in tailwind, with cross-wind too
  • the engine not working
  • and the simulator settings set to Hard
    What can possibly go wrong? Well, there is only one way to find out!

NB: in the Logbook, we see a flight of 8 minutes, because I first did a short normal flight, with a powered landing, to get an idea of the conditions, before doing the landing with engine OFF. The video starts just after the first test flight. The flight itself is ~ 3 minutes: this is short… No faffing around!

Meigs Tower, Emerald six seven niner seven, declaring emergency, we have a uh catastrophic engine failure, need to land immediately…

mayday mayday mayday. uh this is uh Pacifica fifteen thirty nine hit birds, we’ve lost thrust on both engines we’re turning back towards London City…

Cessna one thirteen is declaring emergency. We have uh lost our engine, uh need to land uh to a convenient place, I guess uh near Lima Oscar Whiskey Sierra…

2 Likes

1 Like

Landing on the Perito Moreno Glacier.

2 Likes

Solomon Islands… love these trees up there… don’t need any dev update :grin: great landing places

1 Like

Grand Canyon

2 Likes

Felt like going for a swim

2 Likes

Oops, forgot to change tanks…

Land’s end

2 Likes

17 Likes

2 Likes

somewhere near Futenma, Japan!

Uh, honey. I’m home?

2 Likes

1 Like

Hi, another interesting challenge :blush:

Italy brush:

Trying to center that road, because my engine is died… A very difficult and fabulous emercency landing!

Good luck, sincerely,
Filippo

3 Likes

Some emergency landings in Tokyo.

1 Like