5800X3D with Quest 2

FYI… I fly Strickley in VR.

So far, I’m loving this new processor even though I already was running a 5800X.
I can and do see an improvement in head movements being smoother (looking from the gauges to the outside and to the left) ground taxi being much smoother while using the quest 2.

Word of warning though, I had MX-5 paste on the 5800X and a arctic Freezer II 280 and went to pull off the freezer from the CPU and bam! right out of the socket it came.

Retested the 5800X and all is well with it, booted just fine and ran perfectly but this MX5 paste is and sets more like concrete! I like the temps it provides but still Arctic should give some kind of warning.

1 Like

I also have a 5800x and had thoughts on whether this would be a good upgrade. I normally use CapFrameX to measure my performance and for VR I pay most attention to the 1% and 0.1% low measurements. These measure the amount of stuttering we experience better than average framerate.

Hardware Unboxed did a comparison. Here’s their chart for MSFS. This isn’t a VR measurement but maybe the 4K measurements could be applicable. There’s no improvement in framerate but it does show a good improvement in 1% lows which validates your experience.

Do you have any CapFrameX measurements for VR? I cap my framerate at 35 fps and I get around 25 fps for my 1% low. This is with motion reprojection off.

2 Likes

No, I never cap frames just jump in and fly! What I find is especially with this quest 2 when running a 72hz @ 1.2 SS on the slider has been a lot easier on the eyes and smoother. So as I’m in the cockpit in VR hit left CTRL & NUM Pad 2 and Wow what difference from my 5800X

When I moved to 2 sticks of Ram to get 64 gigs I was noticing less than stellar performance with the sim and smoothness. So after see this video ( AMD Ryzen: 4 vs. 2 Sticks of RAM on R5 5600X for Up to 10% Better Performance - YouTube I swapped back to 4-sticks of G-Skill 3600 mhz C15 ram which is 32 gig total and started tuning this kit before my 5800X3D show up on the door step.

Right away I could feel and see a difference in performance when I would open up adrenaline software and look at the average fps after my VR flight I can see I normally average 47.4 FPS same as the 5800X was getting but It does feel way smoother with less artificing these quest’s have .

What is especially interesting is looking from a gauge or from somewhere in the cockpit to outside and left is way smoother and focus is instant than what I had before this 5800x3d.

ADDING: Quest 2 now is way less jittery what some would call stutters.

I do run a 6900xt Saphire SE at it’s overclocked stock speed, Gigabyte Pro wifi , 32 gigs of the g-skill mentioned above and have msfs installed on a 980 pro.

I do have lods 230 and 150 clouds high, texture high.

That’s great. I can tell how happy you are with your performance. Our systems are virtually identical except for your new CPU and I use a Reverb G2.

Just so you know what you would get if you measure with CapFrameX, I measured this today while flying the FlySimWare Cessna 414AW. Note that I own the Steam version of the sim but because of the G2 I can use Windows’ OpenXR which for me performs better than Steam’s.

Here’s the FPS chart. Today I changed my cap to 36 fps and here’s the 1% and 0.1% lows. This is with SU9 beta. You can see how close the lows are to the average framerate indicating totally smooth flights.

And here’s a second chart showing the frame-to-frame variation. When you have large variations between the frames you’ll also see stuttering.

CapFrameX generates all this for you. I captured 2 minutes during my flight and these graphs are made by the app. It’s really a great program.

Good luck.

1 Like

There’s a MSFS VR-specific review out for the 5800X3D:

6 Likes

I’m shocked you can tell a difference from what I’ve seen on benchmarks. I purchased my 5800X a couple weeks too early.

Now what about 2 vs. 4 DDR4 sticks? Apparently 4 sticks are good for Ryzen. Unfortunately, I have a a pair of 16GB sticks. I’m not sure if 64 GB of memory would be too much.

1 Like

I was shocked to, but I have had some of the smoothest flights in VR so far this this 5800X3D. As far as the ram goes you may need Ram @ C14 and a fast graphics card to go along with it to take the full advantage.

I had 2 sticks of 32gigs ea. with horrible timings. I took them out and put my 32 gigs 4x8 of C14 ram back in and run them at 3200C14. I see no difference in XMP@3600C15 to 3200C14 so I lower the voltages on the ram and run it @ C14 3200mhz.

Best of Luck.

I do have C14 but I’m not sure if the XMP profile helps. I did benchmarks and I had a nice CPU bump with XMP profile but a slight drop on the GPU benchmarks.

Four 8 GB sticks might be the optimum.

I’m on the fence of buying this new wonder of a cpu. What’s holding me back is, that I’m hoping that with DX12 out of beta sometime in the summer there might be a improvement in multi-core use. The sim isn’t really taking advantage of more than 4 cores. If it starts to scale with cores, there will be a significant improvement. But I’m not so good in waiting and there is a lot of hope involved…

Thanks for the Video with the VR Benchmarks. It got me thinking. In the end it’s a decision to pay more money to get a better VR experience. Ryzen 5800x3D around 500€, selling my 5800x gives me somewhat around 150, maybe 180€. So it’s a 350 to 320€ investment. And the question that no one else but me can answer: Is it worth it?..

And there is a new generation of CPUs with a new platform on the horizon. Pumping money into a platform that soon will be outdatet doesn’t feel so well too.

2 Likes

This is exactly my thinking. I’ve got a 5600X and I’ve certainly got my eye on all these 5800X3D threads. I wasn’t really planning on a CPU upgrade this year but there does seem to be a lot of positive feedback for this new CPU and the sim so its got me thinking.

I’m definitely going to wait a couple of months I think and see what people are saying then. Particularly those that have upgraded from a 5600X.

There is that yeah. I guess there is always a fairly vibrant market for selling off PC hardware though if you want to upgrade.

As far as DX12 is concerned. I think the benefits of that with the sim will take a while. I reckon it’ll be a while, even after it comes out of beta phase, for the benefits and optimisations to be realised properly. It’ll be a long ongoing process anyway.

1 Like

I suspect DX12 will have CTD issues. But I’m only speculating.

My comparison between a 5600X vs 5800X3D, using a G2 headset and a Radeon 6800XT. OXR 100%, in game Render 100, Toolkit FSR as shown on graph. MR set to off.

Comparison with Mayhem6633’s results posted above, using a 5800X and who was capped at 36fps and a 6900XT, OXR 130%, 74% in Toolkit. The 1% and 0.1% lows bear looking at.

1 Like

Very interesting, looks like it could be a good upgrade if one gets stutters.

35.6 FPS seems a little low for FSR 100%. But I may be judging that against my current tweaks on a 3080ti.

Getting some really smooth VR performance with this quest 2, 6900xt & the 5800x3d . Running 80hz @1.4 and as soon as msfs vr flight is setup It’s R/CRTL +NumPad 2. This is using 200 & 150 LODS.

Really it’s pretty remarkable from even with 32 gigs of ram. and the quest 2 using Q2 Cable.

Oh…and running 40.0 (beta) on the oculus app and 39.0 on the head set.

Sorry, should have responded sooner. Most benchmarks show nVidia 3080 GPU’s running a fair bit faster at 4K compared to 1440p in 2D mode, as the higher memory bandwidth kicks in, compared to my 6800XT. Your 3080ti would be even faster. In VR that would also hold true. Plus our settings will likely differ. The main takeaway I have experienced is not so much faster average FPS, but rather 1% and 0,1% lows, which are much improved, giving me consistently smoother gameplay.

Seems like it’s a great upgrade for a 5600X. I did my build a few days too early!

My prior build was a FX8350, so I know what those lows were like.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.