748 CG changes after preflight setup

As the topic states; every time I set up the pre-flight weight and set the CG to be centered. I then start the flight and the CG just ignores my preflight setup and goes to the extreme forward limit. Never fails. I mainly fly the 748 so I can say for certain that this occurs every time on the 748. It is not really a big deal it’s just rather annoying if I forget to check it before I takeoff. If I do forget to check it (and then correct it) takeoff can be kind of a hassle will the fully loaded 747 with the CG at the full forward limit (or sometimes beyond).

Seems like this is an oversight and should be easy to fix.

1 Like

Topic moved into #community:general-discussion-feedback.
The SDK category of the forum is for community assistance with the Software Development Kit.

This is odd.
There are no other posts here on this issue, so I don’t believe it’s a sim “bug”.
I have seen a few posts where the opposite happens, if you open the load manager after you’ve set everything, it will change back.
I also tried several times with the 748 and can’t replicate it.
My question would be, are you loading fuel and payload first, and then adjusting the C of G?.
If not, is there an addon in your Community folder that is affecting this (empty it and try)?

Thanks for your reply and I’ll attempt to explain in more detail.

The only add-on I use is a livery for Polar Air Cargo. Yes, first during the flight destination planning I do establish the fuel load (so I can be sure I have the range) then I add the cargo load and lastly adjust the slider for the CG to get it centered. Then I start the flight same as we all do. Once the flight gets to the very first screen I start the flight (usually on the runway). When I review the loading (prior to takeoff roll) it is always not what I had set for the CG, and I need to readjust the CG slider to get it centered, again. That last step should not be needed as I have already established the CG at center prior to launching the flight. If I forget that last step the resulting takeoff roll is extended and requires more nose up trim (due to nose heavy balance) as the actual CG is at full forward to the extreme, or beyond. BTW, I usually load in excess of 200k lbs of cargo so balance becomes a big deal. I doubt this issue is as extreme on smaller aircraft but I haven’t noticed and rarely fly them. If not the 748, I’ll fly the F-18 or the IconA5. Both of those are not as CG sensitive (I assume).

Do you open the load screen to check, or do you confirm weight and fuel from the center EICAS screen and the c of g from the takeoff ref page of the FMC?

Once I’m sitting at the runway I check via the fuel load menu editor so I can adjust the CG (since adjustment seems to always be needed). I didn’t know the FMC allows editing of the CG as FMC never agrees with the load editor. (That I’ve seen). I’ve tried to give it a value in the FMC but then in the editor (or the plane’s flight characteristics) nothing changes.

I think that is your issue.
Opening the load manager again has been known to reset the values.
You can confirm the C of G value without opening the manager after you have set it

This will agree with you setting in the load manager.

(Also if you don’t have it, you should use the Salty mod, it really makes the 747 much nicer)

But that doesn’t explain when I forget to edit before I start the T/O… why my takeoff rolls are much longer and my CG is definitely out of whack until I go back into the menu and change it with the slider. Any subsequent visits to the editor the CG is in the place that I left it.

I don’t have the salty mod because I’m really reluctant to put any add-ons until they settle down all these updates

Maybe for some reason it does change, although I don’t know how.
Confirm it in the take off page I’ve shown in the FMC.
If it hasn’t changed from the value you set, and your V speeds are correct, the takeoff roll is what it is.
If this has changed there is a problem.

I advise a lot of folks here, you can check my profile if you wish (just click on my name in this post and again in the pop-up that shows up), and I think one thing you should do now is to ensure you have a correct MSFS version.
To do that:
With the sim shut down, remove the “Asobo-aircraft-b7478i” folder from the Official One Store folder. Cut it and paste it outside the sim file structure, say your desktop. ( so you can put it back if something actually does happen)
Start the sim. MSFS will build a new one instantly.
See if that works any better!

Since you like flying the 747, I really do advise you try the Salty mod.
It is so much nicer.
Having the Salty mod will not affect anything,
Just remove it from your community folder before you update and you will have no problems with the sim needing to settle down.

Go down to step one on that page and click on the link in there.
Then unzip and put in your community folder.
That’s it!
Give it a try!!

The mod may not work immediately after a sim update.
It will be updated probably within a day after that.
It is always good to check in there from time to time to see if they have a newer version, but you don’t need to.
As I mentioned above, the only time you need to is after a sim update.

Whew, that’s a lot of typing. Good Luck

Thanks for all your help and effort.

I’m in the middle of a long flight at the moment (all my flights are fairly long). I’m currently heading from Hong Kong to Riyadh as PAC1547 (my usual flt number) I’ll definitely try some of your suggestions once able…I may even get the Salty mod as you suggest. I’ve been too chicken up to now.

Thanks again!

You can PM me anytime if you have any trouble at all.

Just to provide an update; I did install the Salty 747 and I do like all the added functionality however my flight planning CG vs the actual flight CG is still in disagreement such that I still need to redirect it to be centered (as I do during flight planning) prior to my T/O roll…otherwise it will be fully forward and make for a wonky takeoff. I did not go through the process of removing the 748 files to allow the sim to repopulate them with fresh new files (incase something was questionable). I suppose on a brave day (soon?) I’ll try that next.

Thanks again for your help and instigating me to install Salty.

1 Like

Glad to hear you like it! :+1:

Remember when you remove the 747 folder, just keep it somewhere.
That way IF something does happen, you can just put it back!

Good flights.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.