787 long flights ends in CTD

I have done long flights with GAs and A320, but any flight over and hour in 787 ends in CTD. Anyone else?

2 Likes

You’re not alone, a lot of users here have been complaining about CTD with no error message after the Sim Update 2. I’ve gotten them myself on attempts at long flights in the Rutan Long-EZ, so I’ve given up on those and just started doing short hops into Paderborn (EDLP), nothing longer than 200nm.

Me too … almost any plane CTD after 45 minutes or so.

1 Like

I did the one from Asobo in France to Seattle and after 7.5 hours, the keyboard became unresponsive, the mouse and joystick wouldn’t do anything. I tried that flight 4 times and each one had the same issue at different times. I found out that when it froze, I could save the flight, reload it, but then AP would sometimes go wacky. I did finish it eventually but with lots of problems. Sucked

2 Likes

I had a few CTD’s myself on long haul flights, but I started researching the problem, checking my drivers/bios/settings and came up with a solution by limiting my frame rates to 30fps. Been CTD free since.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you go thru the steps, you might find what is triggering the issues. There are plenty of users who are now flying CTD free…

1 Like

OK, thank you everyone, I have 32GB RAM, 2070 Super with 8GB VRAM and using actually started using Vsync for the first time latesly. I get really good frames but all of a sudden it just falls apart after a while.

I have not had these issues before during flight, once the sim runs I have never experienced CTDs during flight only crashes during startup but that is no longer happening.

That is really too bad, I mean 2 hours of flight should be enough to not run in to CTDs despite the sim being in early stages.

Unstable sim is worse than fluctuating FPS in my opinion.

But since it appears to be random and happen out of the blue it will difficult to locate the problem.

This is a long shot, but possibly worth a try, as this fixed all CTD’s with me involving not only this flight sim but a raft of other games as well. First thing, is make sure windows is fully up to date, this includes the windows store, and any Xbox app features, then, turn off the controlled folder access. I know it doesn’t seem logical but for me after huge headaches trying to sort out CTD’s this worked. It might be worth a try. The link below describes how to do it.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip mate, I have it off, trying a flight now from KORD to KIAD, yesterday from KIAD to KORD it CTD right before the “DECEL” point, lets see how it goes…

1 Like

Are you using FSUIPC? Then switch off live traffic or take a look at this:

Haven’t flown the 787 in ages, but today, I decided to try a Seattle to Toronto flight. CTDd a couple of hours into the flight, on AP, hadn’t touched a thing. Restarted with same flight. CTDd again, maybe 3 hours in.

Same here. Last night flew from Istanbul to London on the 787, crashed 3hrs into the flight. What’s going on? The a320 works perfectly though with the nx as well as the a321. From now on, my magknight 787 and zibo and toliss for my long hauls now. Hopeless flying long with this sim, sad.

One thing I’ve noticed is that long flights are far more feasible if I don’t fiddle with the GPS. I think something in the coding for that thing is causing at least some of the crashes.

Just to leave it here. I guess I’ve flown 40 hours in the last two weeks in 787 ranging from 1 hours to 5 hour flights. Not a single crash. Only “mod” I have is a Lufthansa livery.

I did get some crashes to desktop on longer airliner flights when I was experimenting with frequency and voltage settings on my 6800xt, but they disappeared once I settled on a stable combination. Have you got any GPU performance customisations in play? I found that FS 2020 seems particularly sensitive, as settings that would be fine on many other games or benchmarks would show issues under FS2020.

make sure you have Free-Sync/G-Sync disabled on your monitors, that was causing crashes for me. Haven’t had any issues on long hauls with anything since.

1 Like

I don’t have any issues at all. try disabling Free-sync/G-sync if you have enabled. possibly undervolting your GPU. I did those things and have never had a crash since.

Yes me too, almost every time

No issues with a RTX 3080, slightly undervolted.

By the way a nice trick that I found during long flights is to lower V-sync settings to 20 fps and lower the render scaling.
The GPU will not even turn on the fans. Temperatures and consumption drop quite significantly.

Works for me. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.