7900XTX and 7900XT in MSFS

Yeah that’s cpu limited and frame generation will supposedly help.

Welp it don’t matter now the entire production run sold out, wait for the next run or partner cards.

Can a 4080 maintain 60fps with TAA and frame generation at big hubs with AI traffic assuming you have a strong enough cpu? Nvidia don’t seem in any particular rush to provide Asobo with the DLSS mask to remove the ghosting with glass cockpits so I’d want it to be able to do it with TAA

3 Likes

I’d never shell out $1’500 for a GPU that’s worth $800.

7 Likes

Even more, is there a videocard that deserves to costs $800??? I don’t think so.

All these prices are insane.

4 Likes

Compared to what?

I was paying $300 for a card in the late 90’s

I just tried this at LAX and over NYC. 5800X3D + 4080. Running TAA on 5120 X 1440 @ 125 scale, so 6800 X 1880, which is significantly more pixels than 4K. Everything is maxed out, except I have LOD at 350 instead of 400. AI traffic @ 100. Weather was clear, bright and sunny. I only fly cessnas, so maybe that is helping my FPS. Cessna 172.

I was getting 35-40 true FPS, and 70-80 w/ FG on. I had no big glitches at all over LAX, but a few over NYC when I made sharp turns and exposed tons of new buildings into my view. IMO DLSS sucks, I hate how blurry the cockpit is. TAA is way more clear. I have seen other threads about whether or not render scaling makes any visual difference. For some reason it seems sharper to me, but who knows. Going from 100 to 125 scale had almost not FPS impact on my system. Scaling above 125 definitely starts to crush the GPU, but IMO this performance at ~40% more pixels (6800 x1800 rendering) than 4K is a dream. Given that this is the only game I play, I am very happy with the performance and setup.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, sounds good. Sucks that my 12700kf is probably not enough cpu to max it out with the Fenix A320 but 7000x3d is coming. Anyone know whether x3d is going to have an iGPU?

Good for you. But I suppose that one wasn’t a low-mid range card.

Thanks for sharing. So you can run Frame Generation independent of DLSS up scaling? That’s good to know. Would you say that there are no major downsides to using FG and is it worth getting the card to have it enabled all the time?

I have a 3080 Ti and I can also tell the difference with the blurry font when using DLSS scaling, but I started using it over TAA because the frame rate boost was significant.

You said you use world LOD at 350? I thought “Ultra” settings by default set it to 200, so you’re already boosting it by a lot from default Ultra, or are you talking about another setting? I actually need to lower my LOD to 100 from 200 in Ultra to get the smoothness I want.

TL;DR having the 4080 with FG allows you to go nuts with settings, avoid DLSS in favor of TAA, and still produce frames in the 50-70 range in dense areas.

Yes, FG can be turned on with TAA or DLSS. But I think DX12 also has to be enabled, which is unfortunate as I think my favorite setup is TAA on DX11 @ 125 render scale. Settings maxed, except LOD to 350. The 4080 affords me the opportunity to do all of that and still get very good framerates to the point where I don’t even really need FG. 5800X3D probably helps a fair amount for me, as switching from 3080+5800X to 3080TI+3800X3D was a massive improvement in smoothness IMO.

Sorry - when I said Ultra, I meant maxed out. I have literally everything turned up all the way, except LOD 350 vs 400. I think I am able to do that because of the 5800X3D, you could definitely leave that lower and it still looks great.

My 3080TI (moved to another computer now) was pretty solid, so I wonder if your CPU is holding you back? I know people hate the price of the 4080, but its raw performance is insane. The fact that I can get those FPS with basically everything maxed out on a 5120X1440 rendered at 125 scale on TAA shows the power / generational improvement, which really shines when you start pushing this many pixels. My 3080TI would have died. One could argue that all of those settings are unnecessary, and I probably would agree, but with all of these pixels, I want to be able to give the game its best shot of looking dope. And yes, FG is definitely nice, because there are scenarios where I need it to stay in the 50-60 range with those settings, but again that assumes those settings are necessary which… I’m not sure of!

By the way - I found very little FPS difference between TAA and DLSS Quality on the 4080. The one main thing I have noticed is both the GPU and CPU work less on DLSS, which makes sense, but it’s pretty drastic… my total wattage goes from ~450 to ~300 and temps from 65C to 50C on both CPU and GPU. As mentioned, TAA just looks better, so I prefer that approach despite the higher (but still very reasonable) temps and wattage.

Quick update. Just noticed something a bit odd with FG / DX12. I was cruising through Hong Kong with the aforementioned settings. On DX12 no FG, I was getting ~50 FPS. w/ FG on, my MSFS reported FPS went to 35, external counter with GF showed 70. Changing over to DX11, obviously no FG, same settings, showed ~60 FPS on TAA @ 125 scale. So, not a huge difference between FG on DX12 and DX11 for some reason. I also did notice that the picture is better without FG. It certainly helps with smoothness, but there are some visible issues in the distance that I don’t see on DX11 TAA @125, which is probably worth doing for -10 FPS. Cheers

1 Like

Definitely not.
DLSS is an algorithm to extrapolate a smaller resolution into a larger one, at the intrinsic cost of bluriness.
It is done to use limited resources (CPU and/or GPU DSP power) for screen resolutions it never was designed for.

Now these newest revisions from Nvidia and AMD are designed for native (not scaled up with DLSS) 4K resolutions,
I‘m never going to use DLSS, because basically it is a marketing gimmick. Blurry smoke.

You are getting a better picture with a physically large monitor with less PPI and no DLSS, than a monitor with the same physical size but higher resolution (more PPI) run at same resolution and upscaled with DLSS. And for less money too.

1 Like

Pretty sure that most will sooner or later realize that FG is only looking good when “base” FPS are anyway already in an acceptable range, e.g. above 40 to 50. For those scenarios I really wonder, if FG is of any need, as my Freesync monitor makes everything above 45 FPS already super smooth.

Still havent seen a video for example from a big hub with AI traffic where base FPS drop below 30 and how FG looks in such a scenario. I bet you will see a lot of visual artefacts when base FPS drop really low. Bummer, because exactly in those low FPS scenarios, FG would be helpful…

For now, most if not all positive feedback from people using FG in MSFS use it with a 4090 and a top tier CPU resulting in FPS numbers that would be fine already without FG. So for me, it will be really interesting to see how the results are on mid tier rigs when the 4070 or 4060Ti are released. Only then we will be really able to tell if FG does any good or not. I have my doubts but will be happy if convinced otherwise.

1 Like

I have a 5800X3D with a 3080 Ti so if I upgrade to a 4080 I’ll basically have the same setup as you, so I’m very interested in your impressions. You say FG only works with DX12, but I currently play only on DX11 because I use user-added photogrammetry for some areas and I noticed that when using DX12 I can see it flickering in and out sometimes. Do you notice that too on the 4080? I’m wondering if it’s a drive issue that can be solved with updates, as I think it’s less frequent with newer drivers.

The 5800X3D does give the highest possible base framerate in busy airports, but I noticed that when using LOD 200 (default Ultra) I was still getting occasional jerky framerate when panning around with my eye tracker, and I don’t get that at al with LOD 100. I noticed the frame drops more than the loss of detail in the outside world. I also chose DLSS scaling over TAA because while the instruments are a bit more blurry with DLSS, in practice in the planes I fly I still have to zoom in to view the same small fonts using both technologies, and I did notice the better framerate with DLSS.

If you don’t have a top-tier CPU that gives you good base frame rates in CPU-bound scenarios then I think the 40-series cards aren’t for you. And if you’re happy with 45 fps and you think anything higher is unnecessary, then you don’t have to worry about 4080 vs 4090 vs XFX, just buy a used 30i80 and save the money.

Personally I play on a 4K G-Sync 120Hz TV and I absolutely see the difference between 45 fps and 60 fps, and I see the difference between 60 fps and 100 fps too. I think the 4080 and FG vs no FG question is for people who look for those frame rates at those resolutions.

We all know how these algorithms work. I was also able to turn it on and extensively compare DLSS 2.0 Quality vs TAA and compare the game when using those “fake resolutions” with the real TAA resolution, and compare the fps difference on a 4K screen. I determined that DLSS Qualiy is indistinguishable from TAA when looking at anything except glass cockpits. It’s a mater of personal preference. With frame generation, if the framerate increase is a similar trade off that’s acceptable, then it’s worth using. If you don’t intend to use these features that give the 4080 its edge, then it’s just not the card for you, in that case it’s only 20-30% faster than previous generation cards and you might as well stick with the 30-series.

This is what I mean by “the only test that matters is with FG turned on”. If you don’t use it, then the 4080 is a great upgrade value IMO. I’m only interested in how it performs WITH these scaling features that give it an edge.

Agreed that DLSS is a big downgrade for glass cockpits.

Frame generation still sounds interesting, and is literally the only reason I’m still considering ever buying an nvidia card again… Otherwise I’d be placing an order for a 7900XT right now. :slight_smile: But I wait and see.

You totally missed my point… I too see those FPS differences, personally they do not really matter in a flightsim (but they do in fast pacing shooter like BF2042, other story), but ymmv. WHAT I am saying is that you can only really profit from FG in a scenario where FPS are already high up. Nice for those who can and will, but it would be the absolute killer feature if FG would also provide good results when “base FPS” are around 20. Which I highly doubt and also nobody ever properly tested in MSFS.

But lets wait and see. If those mid tier Ada GPUs hit the market (e.g. the 4060Ti), I bet we will get tons of forum reports from people totally disappointed because their 30-40 FPS using FG either look total ■■■■, results in huge input lag issues or simply doesnt feel smooth anyway.

2 Likes

From my experience.
First setup specs (coming from a Ryzen 5900x) Ryzen 7950x - rx6900xt, nice combo. Noticed smoother panning. Frame rate didn’t lowered that much and was overall an smooth experience. Totally limited by gpu here.
Read about the Ryzen 7xxx 3D and decided to change my cpu for the more affordable 7600x. Results were… lost almost 10fps and 7 fps less avg. Some fps drops (10fps) when hard panning. Same experience than Ryzen 5900x (I’d say slightly worse).

Now third setup. A Ryzen 7600x paired with rx 7900xtx. Recovered 13 fps avg. Was a little disappointed. But realized how cpu limited a was with the Ryzen 7600x.
Anyway I can lock 60fps in 4k native resolution and always get 60fps. Barely drops to 59fps when panning.

I’d love to see more test reviews benchmarking the raw power of GPUs and less scaling features. I experienced the blurriness of DLSS or FSR and didn’t like it at all.

I test this at 4k native in handcrafted LEMD (which is not very optimized) with fenix a320. With my last gen setup (r 5900x-rx6900xt) I was getting 45-52fps. With r 7600x - rx7900xtx unlocked 67fps (cpu limited).

But despite the cpu bottleneck problem. Something really change. The smoothness is just unreal. As I said there is almost no fps drop when panning. And the key here. Pre rendered cache in ultra makes the rx 7900xtx consume 17gb of vram. I’ve never seen that before. But I feel relieved with my thoughts about “how necessary is the fact the vram of future rx 7900xtx is going to be 24Gb”.
What I see is some driver optimization is needed for the rx 7900 series. Benchmarks are conflictive in 4k. It’s strange to have such a difference in some of them with the 4080 at 4k. And in other games is the other way around in avg fps.

So I can tell you cpu it is VERY important for msfs. You can get a very smooth experience just with a powerful cpu. I can see that if I had the r 7950x now the top gain not locked would be 15fps - almost 20fps in my system. I only can imagine now the gains with the 3D V-cache new CPUs coming next month.

3 Likes