7950x3d and rtx4090 - not getting expected performance

Don’t use in game low latency mode. This actually lowers fps a bit and can cause stutters. Just put power management in the Nvidia control panel to high performance.

I really don’t know what difference there might be from MB drivers and the ones from AMD. I always use the ones from AMD as it’s the latest ones.

1 Like

after all my market place add ons finally downloaded, I did some more testing (after re-enabling SMT in the bios) and was back to 70s in the Beaver at KMIA, and in the 30s in VR but smooth enough. Checked NYC and LA in VR and got smooth enough VR perf.

Not sure if it was just a lucky boot and it may change again next time. I don’t think the perf came back from enabling SMT because I had bad performance this morning before I tried disabling it/

After adding back in all the US add ons with MS Add Ons Linker, I lost a few frames in 2D but still good and VR was also still good in NYC and LA, so for the moment my performance is back to good enough for me.

So, as requested, here are the frames I’m getting on the runway at KJFK in the PMDG 737 700

and here at inibuilds KLAX

1 Like

Many thanks, this is much appreciated, it will help a lot with the sizing exercise!

1 Like

I don’t suppose you have any of the various regional “Birds” add-ons by South Oak Co?

I found them to be the single worst culprit for seemingly random (but actually 100% reproducible) stutters.

Also the Powerlines by Mamu when combined with a lot of other global object freeware can push you into stutterville. Solar Farms element seems fine but feels like powerlines can trip up when it’s dealing with instantiating or removing them from view (even if out of view).

1 Like

yep, I have all the birds and the Mamu stuff, the puffin stuff, and GAIST. Its holding up ok even with all that at least this bootup, will see what happens tomorrow after work, hopefully it will still be the same.
In VR, changing from DLSS DLAA to DLSS Quality, got me from 30s into the 40s now in VR in LA.

Just try deleting the Birds, at least temporarily and see what happens. I think you’ll be surprised :wink:

1 Like

did another 3dmark timespy test today

30252 points, slightly above the average for this hardware.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D​,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI?

2 Likes

I tried to install AMD chipset drivers several times and on the 8, only the “AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory)” does not install. Unable to install it. Is that normal?

I have not tried that. Did you get a list of chipsets to select from such as this?

1 Like

Hello. X670e for me but yes I downloaded the chipset from the AMD site by selecting my good motherboard. There is the “AMd GPIO Driver” and the “AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory)”. Only the second (promotory) does not install. I don’t know what this is.

I don’t know, but maybe other owners of the 7000 can chip in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I think it is normal. I get the same thing. It installs everything else except for that.

1 Like

@Mikebuch87 It doesn’t install for me either, 7950x3d. I think it might be to support a pcie-5 SSD add-on card. I have one for my asus mobo but have no need for it, so haven’t installed it. I did some hunting on it but that’s all I could find. Doesn’t seem to be a problem at all.

2 Likes

FWIW :
Promontory 21 or Prom21 is the name of the chipsets supplied by Asmedia to AMD for the AM5 platform. B650 boards have one Prom21 chipset, X670 have two Prom21 chipsets, daisy chained.

This driver is for GPIO functionality on Promontory IOHub, i.e. the general purpose I/O controller provided by Asmedia.

1 Like

Okay Thank you :smiling_face:

I just noticed a new bios 1101, is now available for my motherboard. I’ll upgrade it and reset the cmos again this weekend.

1 Like

Hello. I activated PBO in bios a few days after installing my 7950X3D because everywhere they advise to activate it. Today (1 month later), I have been feeling for a while that performance has decreased. I searched a lot because I made several bios/parameters modifications: SMT off, SVM off, Expo II, Precision Boost Overdrive Enabled. After returning all the default bios settings and changing them 1 by 1, I realised that I had a little better performance with PBO disabled! No more fps but rather a little smoother. Do you all have PBO activated?

RTX4090
ASUS x670e

I can’t speak for X3D’s but I have a 5800X. A PBO all core undervolt at say -30 is only effective if all cores in use can operate at that level otherwise the ones that can’t will be causing hard faults that the other cores and windows will have to mitigate, this will affect performance. Best is to run the per core curve optimiser in Ryzen Master but take note that SMT enabled or disabled are very likely to produce different results.

Interestingly, there is a newer chipset driver, dated today on the motherboard website

AMD Chipset Driver V 5.03.24.2328
while the AMD site still only has 5.02.19.2221
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/x670e

I’m still struggling with perf not staying as good as it should, so I’m going to try the new one from the motherboard website.

I have not yet tried PBO, may do so at some point will update if I get any better perf doing that.