A Bit of Disapponntment

Frankly, I am disappointed in FS2020. The scenery looks great but will cost a small fortune as we will have to purchase numerous extra buildings and bridges and airports. I live on the Gold Coast of Queensland and the rendering is just a load of apparently single story flat buildings. Looks more like an African village. My main gripe is the unstable and in some cases uncontrolable aircraft. Not at all like the natural stability built into the real thing. Most all want to ground loop as soon as the runway is touched and in flight want to dive to either left or right. The FSX ones were excellent. The sensivity adjustments jump from +3 to -7 at the slightest touch and flutter. I will remain using P3Dv4 and the many addons I have paid for until there is a big improvement . Seems that the release of 2020 was a bit rushed and there are still a lot of bugs and omissions to be corrected yet.

22 Likes

My 4 top tips if having trouble with flight control:

1. Make sure you have modern flight model set. Legacy should NOT be used with default aircraft
  2. Check you have not duplicate control mappings - easily done and will cause problems. Don’t forget the xbox controller if you fly the drone cam with it
  3. Empty the community folder to make sure no mods, scenery or airports are causing conflicts - 75% of issues are down to this
  4. Check controller sensitivities

Also if you are using a honeycomb yoke, also check here:

In terms of scenery, your choice, but if you are already familiar with P3D, then you know how much you can spend on scenery for that. Consider that here you get the whole world without having to spend anythign extra. And it is being upgraded (North America coming tomorrow, Japan a month or two back). Alternatively you can pay ÂŁ35 for the South of England (for example).

7 Likes

Yes I agree, coming from FSX, P3D, and X plane, this is much less than I expected, controller adjustments look as if they were developed by someone who has never been in an airplane, and although they have been slightly improved, they lack user adjustability and proper sensitivity control. Very little is intuitive ad there are few in game access to important functions and features. As a scenery sightseeing tour it is quite impressive in some areas but by no means all, and it has the feel of a game with multiple levels of windows to get anywhere. It was obviously rushed to market ala XPlane to be further developed on the backs of paying customers.

3 Likes

Gordon - I’m interested in which package you are referencing for the south of England especially since I live here! With no update for the UK in sight, I’m considering an addon. Is the package you mentioned Orbx, or another publisher? Cheers!

I’m assuming that he is referring to cost of the scenery (South of England) in P3D. I paid a similar price for Orbx South in X-plane.

1 Like

Do you have photogrammetry enabled? At least the area around Surfers Paradise should look rather realistic.

Orbx - but I was meaning for P3D or XPlane, not MSFS

OK thanks. Didn’t think I’d seen anything for MFS

Now 3 months flying MSFS2020 , last week reinstalled my P3D4 , did same flight with PMDG 737 ,
; aircraft autopilot perfect , BUT cockpit artwork , exterior scenery , dynamic of flight etc , much better in MSFS2020 . Came back to MSFS and uninstalled P3D4 . Concerning the sensivity adjustments try -50%
it will be OK

4 Likes

You are not alone sir! Everything will get better, in a couple of years.

1 Like

If you haven’t, get FSUIPC7.
You can set your axis up to respond very close to P3D4.
The difference is amazing.

2 Likes

Never had such fun as flying in MSFS, yes there are still AP issues, but overall this sim just wipes the floor with the others. Folk seem to forget the issues with other sims when they launched. this sim will be the best given time. sadly some seem determined to try and stop that.

5 Likes

First if you are using P3D 4 try the new 5.1, it’s amazing. Anyway, I agree the aircrafts are the biggest issue with msfs in a lot of ways. Flying lower over that landscape in msfs is amazing. Its really cool because I have flown in a small plane over Southern California so I am impressed what Msfs has done. I have found that when higher than about 8000 feet the scenery looks much like orbx true earth, maybe better. However Msfs covered the entire world. The sim is only 3 months old and very complex so I suspect after another 6 months or so things will get much better, it has already in some ways since august

One person stated about fsuipc 7, I agree it is worth it and with the axis adjustments, the aircraft can me made to bank, pitch, and rudder pretty smooth using the slope adjustments. Anyway, do what I do. Try msfs after a patch and see if it works better for you and keep using P3D for stable flights. In time you will use msfs more. Msfs works for me as long as I do not do approaches. End with this, my favorite thing I like to do in msfs is look out the side windows taking off and landing, it is awesome.

1 Like

I totally agree and consider FS2020 a much greater disappointment. I wish I had held off buying it. So far I have had nothing but problems with the co-pilot mode, the autopilot function, response to joystick settings, etc. I don’t understand why MS hasn’t fixed these things. For me, the sim is no fun at all and I regret having bought it. MS2020 is therefore going on hiatus and I’m returning to P3Dv4 and XPlane11.

3 Likes

Is that the freeware or payware version of FSUIPC7 with which you can adjust the sensitivity of the axis?

I don’t know where we are supposed to ask questions, so I’ll do it here.

When I go to Content Manager a lot of my entries have a message: “Newer game version required to update”. Does anybody know what that means? Can I update, or are they just trying to get me to buy the delux version of FS?

I do not know, but I will be surprised if, down the road somewhere, you [we all] don’t get an Australasia update like Japan has and North America is imminently about to.

I hope your wishes come true.

No, don’t worry.
Check the entries again after you have installed today’s patch.

Merely stopping by to let you know that I and we are sorry to hear that you are having so many issues that it’s causing you this much discomfort. We aim to do better.

Secondly, I am ecstatic to see the responses here from the community offering to help. This topic, like many others could have gone down a very different “non-productive” (best euphemism I could think of on the spot) path. To the ones who took the time: Thank you for reaching out and lending a hand to a fellow simmer.

Cheers,

Royal

3 Likes

I think the Freeware version will do the Joystick calibration fine (the same way as the payware version)