A Conversation Needs to be Had RE: Uninitiated User Data Wipes

Hi, thanks for collecting all the reports over here :+1:

I got the Sim via Xbox app. It seem’s like the xbox app having problems to connect the account properly to the sim in some/ a lot of cases.

as Mentioned in my comment u shared, I now have to do a complete re-install as the sim now keeps getting stuck on updating somewhat, what i actually have installed…?!

Also want to State it here again: It’s one of the “worst-case-scenarios” for a live-service-game when costumers loosing their data, and the only response from zendesk support is a standart-template Email they send to everyone reporting?!

…anyway, i have a copy of the wgs-folder, settings.dat & userCFG.
may anyone knows where i can exactly find my control profile settings?
thought its the wgs-folder but not sure… I will find out after the re-install, i guess.

OMG!!! U ARE THE MAN OF THE HOUR! :+1: :partying_face: :partying_face:

just solved it like u described it with loging out and in…
so simple but genius!!

May the guy’s of Zendesk support should pick that up and send u a bonus :wink:

EDIT: no re-install needed. all control profiles, flighthours, archievments, etc is back!

2 Likes

This often happens on xbox, you may lose your hangar aircraft or logbook or control bindings or all of them, its an easy fix. Log out of the sim, return to your xbox main screen, and follow these directions

Be sure to only delete from console so it re synchs with the cloud data next time you load back in. Then RESET your xbox and load the sim again and all will be well…well 99.9% of the time

anyway, i have a copy of the wgs-folder, settings.dat & userCFG.
may anyone knows where i can exactly find my control profile settings?
thought its the wgs-folder but not sure…

They ARE in the WGS folder, but with GUID folder & file names

ie

Ignore the 1st part of the filename path – this is one of my WGS backups

2 Likes

I won’t be linking them all, but there are a number like this from 02JUL2024’s thread:

2 Likes

Lost all data for trying to log in last night. I don’t even know who to contact, steam or asobo?

I felt this was worth sharing here:

3 Likes

Due to the recent 02JUL2024 Xbox Network outage, we have seen a significant spike in user data wipes.

As a result, there has been an interesting dialog about this on the thread regarding the outage-caused data wipes.

On thinking about this, the issue with user data being completely wiped really isn’t an issue of sync — the sync only seals the deal — but is an issue of the sim not recognizing that first-run generated files already exist on the local machine.

What we are seeing is, due to some hiccup and/or other variable such as an Xbox Network outage, the application thinks it is in a first-run state, overwrites all the existing files. Then, when the network is restored, this new data is synced via timestamp to the cloud and overwrites the existing data there.

It seems to me the issue here isn’t the sync, it’s:
”What variables are causing the application to think it is in a first-run scenario?”

3 Likes

I had another one of those unexpected pop-ups on launch just now:

I chose the older, local copy, as always, and no data loss.

As to why that popped up, who knows. How could the cloud copy ever be newer?

There are a number of current posts appended to this April 2023 thread regarding launching the sim and experiencing an unexpected “First Run” scenario and subsequent user data wipe:

This conversation continues to need to be continued…

1 Like

Well after watching the dev stream, I’m not sure that we won’t be losing data in FS2024 too.
It was as much a shrug of shoulders and a shift of blame to xbox/cloud gaming services and a well we could investigate that in the future/sometime/never. I don’t get a warm feeling on this being fixed soon.

In FS2024 who will want to start a career that will potentially be lost/wiped after a few months?

1 Like

I, unfortunately, feel I must agree with you.

I’m certainly glad I moved away from the Xbox and have the option to backup my data on my PC.

I still vehemently believe this is not something any of us should have to do.

1 Like

They brought up that some PC users had seen this too. I’ve never seen my whole data wiped, just progress on challenges, bush trips, awards etc. They mentioned that PC was using same XBox cloud services to save progress, so I don’t think it really matters which platform we are on tbh. We are all susceptible.

I’ve not tried the manual back up of my data yet.

I’ve had the data wipe happen dozens of times on PC and it inspired me to do some testing over the last 8-10 months. I’ve done enough testing with/without to say with very little doubt that my wipes only happen when I’m using P42’s Flow addon. Without it, I don’t have any data wipes, assistance resets, etc. YMMV but deleting Flow has worked wonders for me.

Yup, keeps on a happenin’:

Hi Again.
Now this happen for me again today. I today have full control over my login and always start my MSFS from the XBOX-app. This app tells me enough that I am logged in on my account on the right way for starting up MSFS.

But today I again fall into the tedious behaviour with 5 screens that tell me to install a several settings. And it all ended up in a totally New installation as it seems where all of my settings and activities was gone totally.
Earlier I have “Solved” this problem with signing out from my account inside the MSFS (See reply 75 and 76 in this post).
But Now this not work. Instead after a while it seems to ended up in an type of empty installation form with no information and there it was. After 10 minutes I clicked the x on the window - so it was not totally frozen.

Well I was ill-tempered and wonder if I now finally should uninstall MSFS and go over to X-Plane instead.
When I then disconnect all my yoke pedals controler and so on in anger. I before I start to build my village again in SDK - I saw that the MSFS started up as it should - No problems - All my settings was back and all my activities was there. Wow What is happened.

My guess - And I hope that someone can veryfy that this can be the reason - is that when I started up MSFS and get this installation frames (5 of them) my data on the server somewhere in the cloud (In malaysia - sweden - New Zeeland or which the datacenter in the world where my data is stored) is temporary unavailable. When I then 5 minutes later try again after the swearing - it was again online somewhere. (I must say that I don’t know anything about how data is stored and backupped in the cloud)

If it is so - I would wish that this could be a way for MSFS to see that the settings is not avaliable and tell me that - rather than goes into the installationsframes as it was the first time I run MSFS.

Now I will again connect all my yokes pedals instrument and more and take a flight from Visby Sweden to Sturup Sweden. that is my own flight in 11 stages finished on Palma de Mallorca.

Have a nice day all of you.
// Erland

1 Like

I don’t want to know what those five words were :hear_no_evil: but they must of been doozies!! :rofl: :rofl: