A dawn for moving trains?

Yesterday, spotted for the first time moving trains in the sim - as part of the beautiful ultra- gattwivk- scenery. ( In fact , two systems : british railroad and airport people mover).
Adds definitely the immersion if you go low and slow.
The train follows the ( foto of the) track. Of course, as it’s only a very short sections ,no trees had to be removed …
Nevertheless, i would like that other scenery
creators or train " living world entusiasts" feel inspired… So that - for a start- local sceneries ( like harbours) could get enhaced and at least at some " easy location" ( like deserts ) we can fly IFR ( I followed Railroad :smiley:

2 Likes

LOWW Vienna by Gaja has moving trains as well

Thanks, good to know. Is this freeware ? Haven’t seen it on flightsim.to…
Maybe there are even more sceneries out yet? Would be nice to make a list… although to compare different approaches to more moving objects like trains or trams.

florence ITA payware has also moving train

Moving trains globally would require an entirely new system to be developed by Asobo to handle it. It would require that the map data they use include something like OpenRailwayMap.org data, which who knows if it currently has or not. IF they have that data already, then they’d need to create a system that instructions 3d trains to follow those mapped rails, like the cars do the OpenStreetMap roads. However if Asobo does not currently have map data on railways they would need to get it and start importing it which could create all sorts of headaches and potential changes to the way they manage their map data.

You’re not going to see anything like that anytime soon. It’s different for small addons like this because the dev can simply trace out a path and tell the train object they create to follow that path. Easy enough. But to automate that on a global scale…yea, there’s a reason Asobo gave a pretty quick NO early on when people brought it up.

1 Like

I’m not sure when they started, but at least back to FS2004 they’ve had proper railroad data. Not sure if they ever had animated trains, though; I know X-Plane 11 definitely does.

just saw, that asobo put a small commuter train in the new nizza airport … maybe thatt is animating some scenry creators to follow the example ? Could apply for harbours, or some tram lines too as a start ?

Ah, the great trains debacle [I exaggerate for effect].
I see this issue pop up every so often here on the forum.
Keep pushing for this guys [guys: noun. Informal. Non gender specific].
We all stand to benefit!

This amazing freeware has moving trains as well. Looks pretty cool.

1 Like

Indeed- impressing, Regarding the train, i will ask the author how he created it.

Singapore Changi Airport (by Cloudsurf Asia) has a small monorail doing circuits within the main terminal area.

got an interest message from the talented creator of LIDT airport, regarding his 2 km long animated train -track:
Thank you so much for your kind comment

"Regarding trains, no special magic there:It Is Just a single animated 3d object i’ve made in Blender
Steps:
In Google earth or other mapping software i draw a Path along the railway
Then imported the Path into Blender
Create the base object with railway, pylon and cable and cloned via Array on the Path
Create the the trains model and animate them along the Path

This technique, apart the 3d modelling of the object (wich can take from no time to Forever) Is kind of fast and more or less reproducible, (One could Simply edit the Path and object Will follow according)

BUT, in the end, It Is Just a “simple” 3d object (a very Big One, Is like 2km long with a minute long animation, wich Is pretty CPU intensive)

It’s not suitable for procedural placement (e.g. all over the world using OSM data or such) "

So maybe this could animate other crators ?

1 Like

MSFS Train Tracks & including Trains added to the sim terrain would be fantastic.