A global solution for the world-wide spike & elevation artifacts introduced by Update 1.12.13

Dont count on anything till end Jan with next world update. There is no french word for hotfix :smiley:

5 Likes

I took a chance & uploaded it to flightsim.to. Those who have downloaded it already are reporting good results. The mod will be pulled once Asobo issue a fix anyway. Any day now :thinking:

4 Likes

I hope you let Asobo know about your findings.

C‘est la vie! :grin:

where there?

Scott

P.S. I found it ! Thank you!

Great! But why a new Thread? Please UPVOTE here:

Can you provide a link to it please?

I searched for your name to no avail

Here is link to mappamundi’s fine work:

Scenery Glitch Fixes for Update 1.12.13.0 • Flight Simulator 2020

4 Likes

thanks…

1 Like

I honestly would not expect an official fix for this until the next scheduled update, if they even bother to fix it then. So far Asobo have not considered landscape glitches to be high priority. Hell, it’s taken massive community outcry for them to even consider major CTD issues a priority for hot fixes. This will hold us over well until the next update. Or maybe the next one after that…

Good work on finding the problem. Thank you for your effort. I think I speak for many simmers here saying that we appreciate the effort you put into this.

7 Likes

I guarantee they will, they may even do a hot fix

I hope to see a hot fix, but so far, Asobo have only issued hot fixes when there were widespread crash issues, and even then, only after a massive community outcry. They’ve typically let things like scenery glitches fall by the wayside. They eventually fix them, but to date they’ve not been a high priority.

I know they’ll eventually fix them. Perhaps since they’re so global in nature this time, vs being very localized, it will light a fire under their ■■■■■ and we’ll see a fix next patch. But I’m not expecting a fix before next patch at the earliest.

In the meantime, the mod I posted above fixes the issues globally using Asobo’s own pre-patch files. I’m good with that.

@ mappamundi

I downloaded your patch from flightsim.to and noticed some puzzling anomalies.

1. I’m pretty sure is a mistake - the \CGL\022 files are all actually in the \CGL\033\022 folder.
  2. There are three files in the \CGL\BASE folder all of which are binary identical to the current asobo files.
  3. The are quite a few non vecn*.cgl files that have been rolled back, for example \CGL\313\vgm101.cgl, \CGL\313\vgm101.cgl, \CGL\313\vgm101.cgl and \CGL\313\vgm101.cgl - there are quite a few more.
    It was my understanding from your OP that only the vecn*.cgl files were affected. Are the rollbacks to these other files intended and if so would you care to share your reasoning for including them.

TIA

Yep I noticed 2 & 3 myself & was having a file cleanup. They don’t seem to be breaking anything that I’ve noticed but the world is big so who knows. They’ll be removed if I do a new version.

Good spot re the 022 directory. Clumsy drag & drop error probably. Fortunately 022 bing tiles are in the middle of the pacific somewhere.

I’m also looking at deleting some of the cgls for the US as 1.12.13 apparently fixed some areas & my mod re-broke them. I just need lat/lon for the areas affected & can work out the bing tiles & hence the files to delete.

Edit: a new version is up

There’s a good question if this fix will ruin the fixed Alpes shapes:

I’m pretty sure they know what went wrong. The question is if they know how to fix the problem effectively, that is without having to do a complete rollback, as they updated the elevation maps for a reason.

There are spurious spikes also in the Alps. But I still prefer them as they are now even with a few spikes here and there. However elsewhere, the spikes are looking bad.

Did anyone heard back from Zen regarding this issue ?

My fix shouldn’t affect elevation changes as I only roll back the vecn*.cgl files. The dem*.cgl were last updated by Asobo on 24/11/20 & my fix doesn’t touch these. Anyway try it to see. Simply delete it from your community folder if you dont like the results. I’ve added a link to the OP for better visibilty.
Being Thursday and all maybe we get a development update today with official news :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Would be nice to hear from Asobo on this issue. We shouldn’t have to edit files ourselves - Asobo should be pushing out a hotfix for us.