A global solution for the world-wide spike & elevation artifacts introduced by Update 1.12.13

Negative; they’re still out for the holidays. Next dev update is on Jan 7

1 Like

Great work, thanks very much for taking the time to help the community.

Sometimes they just update the data because they received new data. I don’t know what their policy is for checking data they get from vendors. If it’s like my company, upper management decided, to save money on hiring quality inspectors, to expect the vendor to deliver good parts :roll_eyes: … egad :upside_down_face: :grimacing:

For instance, they talked about how they upgraded the DEM data for the US update. In my eyes, I liked it better before the new update around where I fly (Northeast). But, I can’t quantify that totally. But, for example, It seems like parking lots all became small hills bounded by their edges. And buildings (that I used to use for landmarks in the pattern) that used to be spot on disappeared and became pictures on the ground. I have submitted examples of this to Zendesk, and it’s been marked solved. If fixes get integrated in the next year, I’ll be happy.

Tried this fix, put the extracted main file into the Community folder. Tested with the Aspen landing challenge and the peaks were no longer there, so it works, but as soon as I went to go back to the main menu I got my first ever CTD. So, gonna have to remove it. Anything I did wrong?

Coincidence?

I would suspect a coincidence more than correlation. A lot of people who never experienced CTDs before have been getting them randomly since last patch. I’m one of those people. The only CTDs I’d experienced were from known issues like the VFR map after the Japan update and the Carenado planes. Outside of those known, widespread CTD issues, I never had a single one since this last patch. Now I can have several per day.

I’d recommend keeping the fix in place. If you see regular CTDs, try removing it. But I’d be surprised if this mod was the cause of the crash.

Yep, what Crunchmeister71 said.
I just tried it a couple of times with my mod & no problem other than a bunch of glowing orb streetlamps floating a few hundred feet above ground which were there without the mod as well. But gadzooks! all the terrain spikes on one of their showcase activities…
Congrats on your 1st CTD btw. You weren’t running the workingtitle mod for the CJ4 by any chance? It was causing CTDs for me.

1 Like

Nope. Only mod I have is the Airworthy Designs Saint Martin Princess Juliana Airport and surrounding area mod. I removed your fix and tried again and no crash. Even after this most recent update I’ve put plenty of hours in and no crash until trying the fix today. I’m just relaxing now but will try it again either later today or tomorrow and report back.

OK, just tested again. Did the Aspen challenge twice and returned to menu and this time no CTD. Also tried another challenge then also flew around near Kyoto. No spikes and no crashes. So yeah maybe it was just a one-off. Thanks for the mod! Going to use it for now until Asobo corrects the issue :+1:

I am seeing these artifacts in my flying area (Toronto, Canada) with the current updates:, anyone seen something similar? Suffice to say those huge bulges on the terrain should not be there.

When you say the current update, do you mean the current flightsim update, or after installing the fix by @mappamundi?

Meant the current Sim. release, just tried the fix you mentioned and it cleared up everything.

Posted in some haste, but seriously how can the developers not catch this, it’s all over downtown Toronto - a major international city. Hey Q.A. guys, add “get in any airplane and fly around for 5 minutes guys” to your test categories. This is why people download torrents and don’t pay for games, my $120 doesn’t have artifacts and always works. MSFS 2020’s big feature was the amazing graphics and out-of-the-fox satellite scenery, that just got marred - What a mess.

On a bright note, discovering the huge database of scenery mods was nice, thanks to the community for all that!

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Good to hear.

The 1gb update for MSFS that was released today (08/01/21) does not contain a fix for the spikes & elevation issues. It is primarily an update of the navdata. So it looks like you should keep my fix loaded for now.

2 Likes

The download link sits on “Download will start in 5 seconds” and doesn’t go any further??

EDIT - The DL is working after I signed in.

If you look into the “Bugs” section you will find that the reported bug is already marked as “closed / fixed”.

There’s been a problem on Flightsim.to today, they’re currently asking folk not to download while they investigate. Whilst a goodly number of files I’ve tried have worked a couple are incredibly slow.

They also mentioned the root cause was found and the fix is currently in beta test.

I’ve downloaded a load of packs from Flightsim.to

The Airfield and ‘Landmarks’ packs are not too big, approx 10 to 30 Mb.

The scenery packs can be beyond 2 Gb.

I have a ‘holding’ folder for Flightsim.to packs and copy across packs into Community folder if they are advantageous on my flight.

( For flyers with 16 Gb of RAM or less )

I have 32 Gb RAM now, but keep up this practice.

Spike in elevation at KDEN makes it impossible to leave certain GA areas if you use cold and dark. Leaving the parking area greets you with a spike to the taxi area, a rise in the ground making you crash…