A question of focus

Yea best Scenery Sim made. Hoping for a flight simulator some day.

16 Likes

Yes, they do seem to have locked down the weather system and some of the aircraft ai files from what I can gather making it difficult for a good weather system or accurate ai liveries at airports. I think one result of this was Aerosoft not proceeding with the ai livery product. It’s possible i’m wrong here but that was my understanding anyway.

3 Likes

As far as I understood Aerosofts complaint regarding not having access to real weather information was pointing out the fact that the current available weather radar’s in the game is just using cloud coverage, which is probably something the CRJ could do too, which is just not how its supposed to be.

Yea I seem to remember reading about some additional files have been encrypted following the last update. Such a shame.

1 Like

I think what irritates me more than anything else is that there were so many promises made through marketing and the feature discovery videos which have just been forgotten.

The Q&As are a total joke as well. The questions are obviously curated and answers pre-written, with anything meaningful stripped out. I doubt questions such as mine would ever stand a chance at reaching them for a genuine answer.

8 Likes

Why is there so much negativity and hatred.

Well, here is one “simmer” who loves FS2020.
It is great.
I fly IFR/ILS on the WT CJ4 primarily.
Hardly never above 3,000 feet. Maybe some times in the C172 G1000.

Love the scenery. Of, course.

Plane handles well. Flight is smooth.
Yes my i9-9900K, GTX 1660 TI, 64GB, M.2 MVNe SSD flies pure 4K at 19 FPS.
And it is great. Gorgeous graphics.

Ever wonder why? I can’t say why. I don’t know.
But, no one has ever asked.

Instead of trying to prove a negative, why not try to prove what
those of us have that is positive.

Maybe, that will help you see the answer you want.

8 Likes

I think you’ve missed the point of the topic. I’m not denying that it’s a pretty sim, what’s concerning is the apparent lack of focus on what makes a simulator a simulator.

You can’t really simulate an approach into LOWI without a working terrain radar, doing so would be an enormous breach of SOPs.

As a game, MSFS is great (when the updates don’t break it) but as a genuine simulator it’s obviously lacking.

It’s not negativity, it’s the truth.

5 Likes

Never above 3000 feet in a jet flying IFR and enjoying the scenery?

Do you not see the humor in that claim? :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I don’t know who you are responding to.

But, if it is me, you have missed the point of the Topic.
The point of the Topic is not educated.

Okay, your point taken.
That is the truth. What makes a simulator is a simulator.

But, I bought a $180 (don’t remember what the cost was) USD FS2020 simulator.

But:
I flew once at Left Seat in a Multi-million Dollar Simulator at one of the
major US Airlines Simulators for Real Pilots and the the Check Pilot
was supervising me.

I am not a RL Pilot.

But, heck, I don’t expect FS2020 to be equal to that Simulator.

The Hydraulics on it was impressing, much more the rest.
But, it did not have any graphics like FS2020 (That was 1980s).

You should check your expectations.

FS2020 is not a Multi-million USD simulator on your or my PC.

It is a Multi-million dollar Simulator for Asobo and Microsoft.

It is not the truth.

The truth is that it is a wonderful achievement by Asobo
and I love flying it.

6 Likes

I’m not even sure I understand what that means? Assuming ‘general users’ are the majority are they not the core focus? After that the high-end features are really important as many of the ‘house-flyers’ develop their skills and interests and will want to do more.

4 Likes

SOP ? Are you sure ? I land there all the time, my Cessna 172 has no terrain radar, on the left I see a glass cockpit instrument with mountains on either side. With an accurate altimeter (key B), I can land there with some mist… aerosols set to 20 or so… When there is a heavier mist and forward view is very limited, you’re not allowed to land anyway.

1 Like

The weather radar was updated to track precipitation in su4 I believe.

3 Likes

I think you’re right. I just remember AS using it as a excuse.

I have been sim flying since MS2000 (MS2k). The point is my FS9.75 functions better than this MSFS2020 and it is 17 YEARS OLD. MSFS 2020 has better scenery and clouds but the planes and operations is better on an 17year old sim. THAT is the problem. No way should this be the case in 2021

10 Likes

Sorry, but I like FS2020.

Whatever a FS9.75 is. Sorry, but I don’t know.

“No way the problem should be the case in 2021.”

No one else in the world has done this in 17 years.
I don’t see it as a problem.
I see it as an opportunity to grow. And with growing pains.

3 Likes

Here’s an example. Cars made in 2004 can go a 100 miles an hour. Lets say the new design 2021 car looks so much better inside and out but can only go 65 mph. That is not the case for any products EXCEPT MSFS 2020. I think their aim was to produce a very good looking sim just not one that operates at least as good as a 17 year old sim. If they change their focus today onto the planes and SDK, not Scenery, then it will become a full functioning simulator.

2 Likes

What? When I was flying into INN IRL many years ago, aircraft didn’t even have terrain radar, many aircraft still don’t have it and it’s definitely not required, let alone an “enormous breach of SOPs”

It might be nice to have on some aircraft, but stating that MSFS isn’t a sim due to the lack of this feature is ridiculous.

6 Likes

I remember having a private discussion with you about this topic, and I now feel sorry for myself that I refused to believe you at that time. For me it’s been an expensive mistake for sure, and I stopped investing in MSFS 2020 any further back in February 2021, specially around that time when they released a sim update with the flaps bug. I again gave it one last chance after SU5 was released, and after testing it for a week, I uninstalled this video game for the final time. Anyways I sincerely hope that those who care only about scenery, graphics, gaming etc and not aviation and realism will have a lot of fun with MSFS 2020 for many years.

To be fair though, and imo, Microsoft have not done and are not doing anything wrong. They are not selling it as a ‘flight’ simulator. In the store description and many other places, they clearly state it’s an entertainment video game that is now available on their console video game platform. So perhaps it is us ‘flight’ sim customers who made a mistake thinking MSFS 2020 will be as good of a ‘flight’ simulator as XP11, p3d and DCS are? I don’t know anymore.

7 Likes

At least we can agree that we disagree.

1 Like

I think microsoft and Asobo are very clear what this is and where they want to take it. It is entirely up to them given they have invested a lot of time and money in it. It is of course everyone’s individual choice as to whether that’s something they enjoy and want to be part of or not. I actually think the more people realise this and that it is not their personal sim and they can’t dictate how it should be developed, the less angst there will be on these forums. With other software/games people make suggestions for improvements - not demands accompanied by tantrums and rock throwing if the developers choose a different path.

11 Likes