A test flight to compare different hardware

I read here so often “Which CPU should I buy?”, “Which GPU should I buy?” how many FPS will I gain by upgrading?" Some write “I have 40fps with with CPUxxx and GPUxxx”.
But what does that say?

Only if everyone does a test flight under the same conditions can be judged how much fps gain an upgrade would allow.

I therefore simply started a test flight with different aircraft, always under the same conditions. Everyone can recreate this short flight on their own system and write it here, so we have a better comparison.

I chose a sightseeing flight around the centre of Sydney. CPU and GPU are challenged here, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Take-off: YSSY, runway 34R
Altitude: 1500 feet
Landing: YSS, Runway 16R.
FS2020 settings: Graphics Ultra but Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate = LOW
Weather: Clear Skies
Aircraft traffic type: off
Date and Time: 18 August 2020, 12:00 p.m. Local time
Task: Sightseeing flight with a view of the centre of Sydney.

Here is an overview of the route.

Here is a sample video. Unfortunately not so smooth because of the conversion of the video. Also, the capture software cost me 3 fps.
https://youtu.be/IgrIHmNWa-o

My PC system:
I7-6700K @4.4Ghz
2080ti
32GB RAM 2666Mhz
2560x1440 Pixel
MSI afterburner to determine the FPS

My average fps at the end of flight values are:
Asobo Cessna 152 = 53fps
Asobo Cessna 172 Skyhawk = 45fps
Asobo Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000 = 40fps
Carenado YMF-5 = 41fps
Carenado M20R Ovation = 36fps

So, now everyone can recreate this short flight and get an overview of how different hardware behaves.

1 Like

I have a RTX 3090 Graphics card and all depending on where I am flying the frame rates differ massively. I allowed Nvidia’s Geforce Experience to optimize MSFS2020 settings and it made a huge difference to the FPS. Graphically I cannot see a difference although GExp. reduced all my original settings. I am averaging between 40 and 85 FPS. I say (if you are using a Nvidia GC) give it a try. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is good, thank you. We sure could use more objective data.

It’s too bad the software doesn’t have a built-in benchmarking mode but until then it would really be helpful if more people would run some standard tests.

Another important factor besides average FPS is smoothness/stuttering.

Someone else created the benchmark below. It’s a flight planned route so the AI can fly it, which might help reduce some variability in the results.

The flight sim equivalent of “timedemo 1”, for those who remember that stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.