A weather update only please?

Since the weather is still is such a regressed place ( started from su7 ) 6 months after we are still dealing with minimum progress, often intermittent for a reason that eludes me, some days it looks better, many others just wrong ( with puffy clouds, dark ashen clouds, extreme convection where it shouldn’t be, very rare lightening, sudden weather transitions, METAR bubbles very visible when METAR differ from metoblue ) the list is long and they are all in the bug section. SO i wonder if there is any chance we could get an update that focuses only on fixing at least all the major issues with the weather? so we can all move on developers included.

19 Likes

When reporting bugs or issues, please do not delete the provided template. Use existing topics on any bug or issue as creating new ones splits those issues.

Topic moved into General Discussion as topics exist on the weather system.

ok Will do next time, thanks :wink:

2 Likes

I support 100% that proposal. Since SU7 introduced that big weather regression, for me FS2020 stopped to be a simulator and became a game. Weather is so important when flying that we should have received at least explanations about that regression. So because of this lack of explanations, many of us are reporting bugs, providing screenshots, discussing in the weather bugs section and making suppositions on the reasons why it happened. So yes, it would be nice to get explanations and an update focused on the weather so that FS2020 bring us back the weather high level of reality as it was advertised and implemented when launched. Also why not adding an option about weather difficulty (Low-Medium-High) so that all will be happy.

15 Likes

Yes please! I have definitely noticed a slight improvement recently though. This is a step in the right direction, so if they are doing something server-side we need more of it. It may not be a change and just luck, and anyhow it’s certainly not a consistent improvement.

10 Likes

It’s probably a good idea to tag where you tend to fly, as I imagine MeteoBlue accuracy depends a lot on location in the world. I will say the weather in the sim around New England, U.S. matches real life for the most part, within the ability of a system like this to do so.

Personally, given how the system works, I don’t see how anyone can expect lightning to match real life. The update frequency isn’t high enough, or timely enough, for such things. “Live Weather” is supposed to be a fair approximation of actual weather, not a 1:1 match. It can’t possibly be a 1:1 match given how its developed, based on MeteoBlue forecasts a few hours old (forecasts, no less, NOT reports), with some METAR mixing in and some smoothing between the too.

They’ve also said they don’t currently have the simulation of the air with enough depth to simulate cloud types yet, so the expectation for other cloud types at this time baffles me.

I would like to register a complaint about the “real” weather. We got more snow over the last 24 hours than we got all winter…and it’s the middle of April. Asobo, please look into this! :wink:

1 Like

When FS2020 has been launched, clouds were realistic with some variety, no one was complaining about that, just to have more clouds type maybe. After SU7, clouds became unrealistic and always the same (puffy or volcanic). So if they were able to achieve having realistic clouds at the beginning I guess they should be able to have them back (maybe not all existing clouds type yet) without having to wait for a depth air simulation that certainly will help to improve.

6 Likes

I’ve been using MSFS since it was first released, and I’ve only ever seen cumulus clouds, which matches with what the devs have said during the Q&A’s. Do you have any pictures of any other cloud types in MSFS? I’d like to see that.

To that end, the Devs do want to simulate the atmosphere well, and expect with improvements they are working on, that all cloud types will be supported in the future, just as nature creates them today, as they’ll be adding particle and pressure modeling in the future.

1 Like

I am reffering to those volcanics and higher puffy clouds types that for me started with SU7 and are unrealistic. I am not seeing anymore (with some exceptions) realistic cumulus clouds.

10 Likes

What’s unrealistic about those? I’ve seen plenty of formations like that when flying.

2 Likes

Agree they can exist but in case of storms, not every day, just in very adverse weather situation. When I am flying, I am almost always getting (90% of the time) this type of clouds when regular clouds are reported (many people reported the same across different regions). It cannot be like that every time and again, all started with SU7, before I was not complaining at all about weather.

6 Likes

If they do that we can’t expect it be accurate to real world weather or those METARS. It’s impossible to simulate that and at the same time be 100% accurate to real weather. It can be realistic weather but not always accurate. That thing Meteoblue already simulates and we all know by now it’s not 100% accurate all the time. A METAR report is not a simulation of high and low preassure. it’s not a simulation of air, It’s not a simulation of temp. Temp for example is the sun that heats the earth not injected from METAR. The temp is the thing that creates weather to start with. Without sun/temp it would be a dead planet. Metar can’t simulate a sun. Meteoblue data is more like a sun . It simulates the global weather.

If we need the weather to match METAR then we need to expect it to be forced weather around airports. Not simulated. As you said preassure simulation is not in a local area. It’s a global thing. They need to simulate the whole world weather in real time to make that happen in the sim. Would be cool if they could use the sun in the sim to create weather only by adding heating of earth and everything simulates by it self. With our basic computers i don’t think that is possible in a near future. Meteoblue already uses supercomputers to calculate their simulations of weather and we all know that it’s not perfect accurate but it’s a simulation of global weather. I think they can use the data from them and render different cloudtypes. The thing is that it’s hard to render it to look good volumetric.

METAR is even harder to use to make different cloudtypes.

1 Like

SU9 is a definite step forward in this regard. Clouds also looking the best they have in a long long time.

9 Likes

I would really like to see at least a week’s worth of historical weather too.

It would make things so much better for the time-poor - especially once airliners come out. You can plan your flight one day and fly it the next etc.

2 Likes

These volcano clouds have been around since the sim was born. Look at the pic from the top of this article two years ago. These clouds need to be fixed but they’re not new.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dualshockers.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-weather-video/%3Famp

2 Likes

Agree, they are not new but they appeard more frequent after su7. Especially around airports with METAR. Could use those clouds as a POI-marker where the airport is located. Also that fog layer they added i can use as a poi marker to spot the airport. I know the airport is located in the center of those METAR fog-layers. It’s not realistic to locate an airport by using the fog-layer as guidance. It’s like the airport/weatherstation creating the weather around it. So many things that needs to be fixed after su7. Not only cloudtypes. To me the cloudtypes is the small issue. It doesn’t matter how many cloudtypes they have if the system doesn’t know where to place them. It doesn’t matter how cool/good the clouds looks if they are not placed where they should be.

3 Likes

I find the weather itself and reality is one thing. I think it’s also about the texture quality that looks really bad. It has to get better first.

4 Likes

I’m really super confused. Are you trying to say the above condition doesn’t happen?, because it most certainly does (localized fog). Especially if the airport is in a bowl or kettle or a valley, or maybe on the ocean. If JFK had just landed in Plymouth (I don’t know what the weather was like in Hyannis that night), where the weather was clear as a bell, rather than going on to MVY in known IMC, without an IFR rating, he and his family would still be with us today. The weather can be VFR in KBED and IFR in KASH, a 15 minute flight.

And the “volcano clouds”, I see structure like that all the time. I went flying last night, and the weather looked just like the weather outside, and, yes, volcano clouds. Now, maybe it’s just because the weather in the sim is similar to the weather in New England, and maybe somehow weather is different around the country / world, but, other than the lack of other cloud types like high cirrus, etc., the cumulus structures around here in the sim match pretty well to what I see when I fly.

@Perrry I highly recommend you watch the Dev Q&A I think it was the one just prior to the last one, where Seb goes into quite some detail on their plans for the weather. I wasn’t saying what I wish for, I was poorly repeating what was said in the Q&A.

Next time you fly, take some real life pictures so we can see that those textures and colors are in fact real. That is not how clouds look and it can’t be that hard for Asobo to adjust the colors and lighting to improve it.
Why, for example do they mix blue tinted clouds with yellow tinted clouds in pretty much every scene?
General structures are one thing but the textures and colors used to build those structures are another.

1 Like