A2A Comanche 250 is on its way! (Released! July 2023)

Question on AP following flight plan, Ive read the manual lightly for using AP. I tested a short flight and switched AP mode to HI mode tracking and my aircraft followed the flight path.

When it gets to the next waypoint though I go off course by some margin, from reading the manual if I understand correctly, is this where I should take over and use heading mode to get myself back on track and then revert to HI tracking mode again?

My understanding is the Comanche AP can only track very slight course changes and any substantial realignment of the track will need to be taken over manually.

1 Like

Exactly that. It’s a very basic AP. Think of it as a line following robot that doesn’t like turning much. You do the turning and let it follow the lines.

2 Likes

Yes, switch to heading mode till better lined up for the new course, then back to NAV. I’ve got away with it if the turn is very shallow, maybe 5-10 degrees off the top of my head, leaving it in NAV mode.

1 Like

Thought that was the case, as it was trying to get back on course with the sharp turn but struggled. Thanks all for confirming.

1 Like

GPS failures… incorrect initialization of fuel onboard for the GPS. Never depend on modern electronics without backup of the basic skills. I was a navigation instructor for the Officer Candidate School for the USCG teaching celestial navigation using manual methods even though modern ships has many different electronic navigation systems… Every day when underway, as navigator, I still shot morning and evening stars, shot local apparent noon just to double check and confirm the new whiz bang systems were working.

9 Likes

Yeah, also for anyone thinking about training and expecting something like a gtn750 in your training aircraft, you may be in for a rude surprise. Especially if you are going for an ultralight/recreational licence.

Some schools have the latest and greatest, but often as not basic trainers are just that, really basic.

1 Like

Like I said, I know how to navigate without a GPS. But in the sim I don’t have need for a stopwatch. The GPS never fails, neither does the VOR/DME equipment and I don’t do any flights long enough that running out of fuel is ever a possibility. Apart from that I like to see the MSFS world, so when I pick a flight it’s usually in good enough weather that I can see plenty of landmarks without having to estimate my position by dead reckoning.

I talk the sim exclusively. I’m not a real world pilot and I never will be.

I’m the same, although I really do need to learn the basic navigation skills required without the use of GPS, I suck at it, all I do is follow that magenta line!
I need to learn how to get from point A to point B without onboard GPS.

1 Like

Yeah. Just the sim CTD’s :sob:
… but that’s another thread!

Navigation… radio, dead-reckoning, pilotage etc… is something so well presented , that the skills are 99.9% transferable to the real world…

3 Likes

We’re off topic, but I will mention quickly that the brand new ECDIS standards for marine navigation software includes requirements that the software supports celestial navigation (yes, that 18th century technology) The ability to input a celestial fix must be integrated into those software packages.

So yes, I agree that they definately don’t rely on GPS alone on ships. Indeed, the navigating officers who I have spoken with say that they also use the Sun to sanity check their heading gyro during long passages at sea. They know the rise/set bearing of the Sun for their present position, and they check that against their heading gyro.

Flying: GPS jamming is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. Inertial nav isn’t susceptible to that jamming, but it’s less accurate because it accumulates miles of error over the course of a long flight if it isn’t stimulated with external fixes.

3 Likes

We (the Coast Guard) used to run the Differential GPS system when GPS signals were intentionally being deteriorated so the system could be used for harbor navigation. Never was used for any offshore navigation. We used Loran A and C and the early SarNav. When I taught Celestial nav, I refused to let the officer candidates used nav calukators, but they had to derive their fixes manually. As a programmer as well I know algorithms are never bullet proof. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I fly the Comanche without GPS all the time. I actually bought a paper VFR sectional for my area and use that to find and tune all frequencies, nav by VOR or VFR, etc. and have a blast.

Once though I was flying the 414 over the Atlantic from Bermuda to the Azores and the Working Title GTN530 actually lost signal at one point and I had to dead reckon until I was able to reboot the system and reacquire a signal! So it can happen in the sim.

1 Like

Given the amount of modern ordinance that relies on GPS for it’s targeting, taking out the GPS satellites is a likely early move in any future global conflict. having a backup on things like cargo ships is just sensible.

1 Like

What do you lot set your turbulence to in the default msfs settings?

Im using realistic and default settings in the tablet of the Comanche.

Feels a little aggressive at times, did read setting msfs turb to medium is a good middle ground?

I reduced mine to Medium I think, for all planes. I used to use Realistic, but I believe something changed a while back, and on the advice of others reduced this.

Even now, at times I’m moving the yoke around like I’m playing Mario Kart.

1 Like

I found medium setting to be more realistic, at least for the Comanche. I don’t really fly anything else at the moment.

1 Like