A320 Rolls left on retard and flare

im having a issue that A320 become hard landing while flare

Was there a strong crosswind? Are flying it yourself or using autopilot?

Same here. out of the blue on an other wise stable approach with 0 wind will randomly have a wing drop near the ground. happens on many of the planes, not just A320

Same for me, banking left near the groundā€¦

Hi all,

Iā€™ve merged a total 10 topics regarding the same issue into this topic, so the discussion on roll-on-landing is more centralized and can get more attention and points, instead of many points divided over a lot of topics.

Sadly, when merging topics the vots donā€™t accumulate, so if you havenā€™t already: please vote this topic.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. But I donā€™t think merging all the airliners in to one thread on this issue was a great idea.
The A320 flare and land issue is quite different to the issues in the 747 and 787. Perhaps three topics would be better. After all, applying techniques to flare and land the A320 in the 747 is not going to go well!

1 Like

My intention was to only merge the A320 flare problems. Did I overlook something? If so: My apologies

Thereā€™s a few comments about the 747 above. Thatā€™s all. With patch 4 the 747 has become much better to fly but the techniques to hand fly approaches in it are very different to those of the A320 obviously. Didnā€™t want confusion but as itā€™s only a couple of comments it probably doesnā€™t matter at this stage. Cheers.

I have not read the entire thread here.

To an onlooker and as a pilot myself, it appears that the aircraft is stalling and ā€˜dropping a wingā€™. I know from using the simulator that this should not be the case. I have not checked the load-out yet which should be set to default. This A320 appears to suffer from lateral instability at lower flying speeds, (close to the ground) which are above the stall in flapped flight. This is a unwanted characteristic and probably just indicative of poor flight physics/ programming relating to the model. For the time being, it is probably better to approach at a higher speed especially in the transition through round-out for landing. I have found that the latest A32NX modification certainly feels much nicer to fly and on the few flights I have done since the latest patch with the modification, things seem much better. The B737 handles like a training glider K13/K21 etc. which might surprise you! I would expect the MSFS A320 to have docile handling characteristics in the same way as the 737. There is also a tenancy for the A320 to pitch forward and to head for the ground in normal flight while on finals. I donā€™t think the real aircraft is manually trimmed, (I think it sorts itā€™s self depending on where you point it) however, there does not appear to be enough pitch authority to recover the nose down attitude without using quite a bit of power to come to the rescue. Alas itā€™s not a great flight model at this time. It should also be noted that there is ā€˜spikingā€™ taking place where left or right rudder is commanded followed by an uncommanded ā€˜spikeā€™ movement in the opposite direction. This may be happening with the ailerons too under certain circumstances. It may be that the tendency to suddenly pitch forward in normal flight may also be related to the model loosing height/speed rapidly and rolling more often to the left as if stalled. Certainly the ailerons do not have much authority in this condition near the ground and this is what you would expect during a stall and lower flying speed. The model flight characteristics are unfriendly and unforgiving at this time. Charles

I would like to add my support for this to be fixed. For me it has been worse since the latest patch update earlier this week. I was just beginning to enjoy flying it after watching YouTube videos on ils landings and now itā€™s been rather spoilt by horrible landings.

1 Like

Sorry, this was partly my fault. I sent the mods a list of all the threads relating to the A320 rolling on short final and the loss of control authority and asked them to merge them in the hope of the combined topic getting more upvotes and therefore the devsā€™ attention. I included this one because it seemed to be largely relevant, but I totally take your point about the other airliners having a different issue.

Not just roll but yaw too. I canā€™t land the A320 without heading off the left side of the runway as soon as I touch down., no moatter how straight the approach. I guess itā€™s all related???

1 Like

I havenā€™t experienced an issue with yaw personally, but then again I was flying quite happily without having experienced the roll issue until a couple of weeks ago! Something else to look forward to I guessā€¦ :wink: I think it probably is all related, and I think @TheAviator3506 is probably onto something - it does appear like one of the wings is stalling when it shouldnā€™t, which then perhaps leads to over-correction with the rudder?

1 Like

It might be an idea to change the flight model to ā€˜Legacyā€™ instead of ā€˜Modernā€™ as I suspect that might be a temporary fix. If you go to an outside ā€˜top down viewā€™ and perform your take off ground roll, you might see the un-commanded rudder spikes. I have been using CH Pro pedals through a game port converter, and hope that things would be much better with USB rudder pedals. For this reason I cannot really make much of a contribution here as most of you are using better gear than I am.

As far as the A30 flight modelling goes, there is much written and advertised about how good the flight physics are and the way the aircraft models should interact with itā€™s environment. This interaction and the physics behind it may also be at fault. One can speculate forever, thatā€™s hope it gets sorted soon. Otherwise approach faster or try the ā€˜Legacyā€™ flight model. Go retro!

Charles

Confirm ILS frequency not automatically loaded in after patch 1.9.5 if you preplan at the world map, need manually add to the mcdu.

Very bad idea (not only) due to the uncontrollable severe pitch up when selecting conf 1 in flight.

1 Like

Ooh, Iā€™ll give that a go - hadnā€™t occurred to me. :slight_smile:

Ohā€¦ :frowning:

Ahh the joys of feeling our way through a new sim, trying to find fixes for things that we just want not to be broken, eh?

1 Like

I donā€™t think over correction with the rudder is a factor in my case. I have experienced this in calm conditions above stalling speed, Itā€™s not a great idea to use excessive rudder at or near a stall/slow speeds in any aircraft. A little trivia: it used to be advocated that opposite rudder be applied to a ā€˜droppingā€™ wing, (incipient spin) in a glider. This was widely taught to ab initio glider pilots until it was learnt that this could cause a spin in the opposite direction. The idea was to use the rudder to accelerate the dropping wing forward through yaw creating some lift and to pitch the nose downward with a prompt forward movement of the stick. Now we lower the nose promptly at an incipient spin not touching the rudder to recover from an incipient spin. What ever you do, donā€™t use a ā€˜big boot fullā€™ of opposite rudder in your A320 to try and pick the wing up near the ground. :rofl: I am just being silly ā€¦

Charles

1 Like

I think you might want to change to ā€˜Legacyā€™ before you set you flight up! BRGDS. Charles

Why? Thatā€™s a definite no-go for all default MSFS aircraft.

They have been designed with the modern flight model.

Legacy is only available to make old FSX aircraft somewhat compatible with MSFS.

2 Likes