A320 Tips & Tricks

I’ve checked that was done. When do I select “Load from Simbrief” in the EFB. Is there a particular sequence I have to follow in the MCDU and/of the EFB. How about the pushback; does it need to be chosen from the EFB or the MSFS menu? Thanks for your help.

Do not import the plan to the world map planner

I generally select Load from Simbrief as soon as I enter the cockpit.
I start the Flypad and do that then.
I also enter the fuel in the flightpad then and set up the jetway etc.
I then turn on the plane’s power, and start setting up the MCDU.
After I have the MCDU running, I click on INIT and select Init Request.
You should be able to contact clearance then.

I use the flypad for pushback, much easier to use and control and more realistic.
That conversation with ATC “request pushback start” “request pushback end” does not occur IRL.
You are in communication with the tug driver IRL through a com plugged into the plane, and do let the driver know when you are ready. But the tug driver knows where to push you to, you don’t ask for end of pushback, etc.

I can enter the fuel before loading the passengers and estimating fuel needed in the MCDU? Also, I don’t have to select left or right or stop when using pushback in the EFB? Thanks.

When you creat your flightplan in simbrief, in the optional entries section, fill in the Passengers and Freight drop downs selections, as well as your desired cruise altitude.
Then when you click “Generate Flightplan” you will get a box showing the fuel required.
The fuel can be added in the flypad. See the clipboard icon on the left side.
In there, click on fuel. Now you will see “Refuel”.
I click behind the amount there and backspace the numbers out, then I type in the amount the simbrief plan indicated.

This link to the FBW manual explains how to load your passengers.
Read down past the specificationa to the line that says AOC menu, start there.
https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/feature-guides/loading-fuel-weight/?h=simbrief#weights-and-balance

Yes, you do have to select right left and stop.
First, call the tug, then do the pushback, when in proper spot, stop, then click “call tug” again to send the tug back.

That worked. Here’s what I noticed. I only get the IFR clearance when using the default livery. My Delta livery and the other included with the FBW A320 will result in not getting and IFR clearance. Is your experience the same? Also, when my flight is DAL 321, ATC calls me FBWSIM DAL321. Am I doing something else wrong? Thanks for your help.

Clearance works fine with all liveries.

You should ensure you have added the FBW simbrief airframe to Simbrief.
Click on the version you have inside this link.

This link explains how to enter your flight #.

Couldn’t stop the climb. I think I did it all correctly but the plane just kept climbing. I could disengage the AP and ATHRUST and get a descent, but as soon as I reengaged them the plane just started climbing again. I had altitide at 10000 in managed mode when I first overshot my altitued.
Then got clearance to 12000 but couldn’t stop there and got into an uncontrolled climb.

Your throttles must be in the “climb” detent in order for the autothrottle to work.

Dial in the altitude you want, left click the top of that knob.
As long as you have the autothrottle engaged and the plane’s throttles in the “climb” detent, the autothrottle will then control the engine power to allow for altitude changes.

i believe that’s what I had done. Will auto thrust and AP control the descent, also? Cause I could not get the plane to descend.

Yes it will. As long as the throttles are in the correct “Climb” spot.

Have you set the throttle calibration up in the flypad?

Are you flying the stock A320 or FBW A320? I don’t know if this comment applies to both, because I’m only flying the FBW A320, but if you are still in the climb phase of flight (CLB is showing in the PROG screen of the MCDU), then you can not activate managed (“push” altitude selector knob) descent. You should be able to activate open (“pull” altitude selector knob) descent, however. For managed descent, you need to get to the cruise phase of flight, meaning you need to first reach your programmed cruise altitude.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m on the same flight plan as before but ATC has never cleared me to the cruise altitude so I’m still in climb mode. What can I do now? I am flying the FBW development version.

They won’t on a simbrief plan.
You need to ask ATC for a flight level increase.

I ask them all at once.
The original clearance may be to 8000 for example.
On the way to that I will ask for a 10,000 ft increase.
When that is Ok’d, I ask for another, and then another until I get clearance to my desired cruise altitude.

Yes, you will have to ask them for altitude increases as Seven said.

The flight level you need to get to will show up in your MCDU. There will be a field that says something like CRZ ALT or similar in I think the PROG or PERF screen. Forget which at the moment. Once you hit that altitude the PROG screen will change from CLB to CRZ.

1 Like

Then on approach, do you descend the same way by requesting ATC for lower altitudes?

If you import your flight plan into the World Map, you can solve this problem

I ask for clearance down to the altitude constraints that are shown on the ND and the MCDU.
If ATC doesn’t want to comply, I just do it.
ATC will catch back up shortly and give you your arrival

Hello, I take advantage of this space, does anyone know why the light does not turn on when you mark NAV VOR or ILS zf

i’m not seeing altitude targets or constraints on the ND; only on the MCDU. Is that right?

I think mine seem to be displayed on both, but I really couldn’t guarantee that.