A320 (V2) Floats on Flare/Stall Speed too Low

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Xbox

Which aircraft are you using that experiences this issue?

A320 (V2)

Brief description of the issue:

The flight model for the new A320 neo seems to be off when landing/touchdown. 1) During flare the plane floats a lot! 2) The stall speed is so low during landing that you can be floating at as low as 85 knots which does not seem to be right.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Low Stall Speed
Excessive Float on Flare (Thrust are at idle from the beginning of the video)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Try to Land.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Xbox

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

NA

Are you using DLSS?

NA

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

After much discussion, thought and test flying, I found that recalibrating the thrust levers in the EFB with much greater care reduced the float. This works on my set-up, TM Boeing TCA Quadrant, so others will need to see if that is a solution for their set-ups as well. Cheers!

I agree with you. The idle wasn’t correct by default. I had almost 15 % difference. After a correct setup, it’s much better

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

begin flare at 30ft, idle throttles at 20ft. Any slight overflare is severely punished by the aircraft refusing to come down. The loss of energy from idling the throttles should cause it to drop like a brick but you can easily float the whole length of a 10000ft runway in idle at 10ft

Xbox series x

Are you using DLSS?

Xbox series x

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

2 Likes

I noticed this today I think, was on approach just about to touch down and suddenly I dropped like a lead weight.

I would try this but last time I went into EFB throttle calibration I screwed it up and nothing worked after, so had to do a complete re install as the reset button on the EFB didn’t do anything.

The throttle calibration doesn’t explain things very well either.

1 Like

More test flying: it still floats. Thrust lever recalibration only reduces float by reducing excess thrust when in ground effect. There is still a flight dynamics problem here IMO, I’ve only found a way to minimize its effect on my flights.

The four aerodynamic forces feel out of balance: lift, drag, thrust and weight. It feels weightless, it doesn’t sink in ground effect. The pitch attitude to force touchdown seems too severe to me. Where is the inertia, the rapid deceleration with all that drag out (full flaps, gear down)?

The float feels like slew in the y-axis not flight (or lack thereof when configured to meet terra firma sooner rather than later). Which of the four forces is out of balance is hard to pin down as all of them interact critically during landing (maybe all of them)? Just does not land like any other aircraft model I fly in MSFS. And so I must learn to slew to a passable landing without floating away in the grav-i-TAY. Peace out pilot friends.

1 Like