A320 VOR 2 navigation

Hey guys. Was doing a VOR to VOR group flight today with the amazing Captain Arash and we were doing both direct to VORs and intersection turns.

With a cessna 172 with G1000, you can tune 2 VORs and fly down one radial on NAV1 while waiting to intersect a perpendicular radial on NAV2, once you hit that intersection, change the nav you are flying to nav2 and boom, now flying the new radial.

I was looking to see if something bigger like the A320s could do it but while you can tune and fly a radial using VOR1, there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell the autopilot to switch to VOR2. Does that mean I’d have to use the heading knob to fly it myself or am I missing a button someplace that switches which VOR the autopilot follows?

or is VOR navigation like this just not a thing in the airbus?

welp, looks like the airbus has to pretty much be flown manually to do vor to vor navigation.

Redid our route from this morning: KTRI to KCAE. The route is as follows: KTRI HMV inbound radial 107, then outbound HMV radial 190 to SUG, halfway you change to SUG inbound radial 188, then SUG outbound radial 177 for 27nm to PELAM, then turn to SPA outbound radial 256, then at 32nm from SPA turn left at PEDAL for ELW inbound radial 203, then outbound ELW radial 108 to GRD inbound radial 109, then GRD outbound radial 114 for 32nm until you pick up the localizer at LEDAS for runway 11 at KCAE.

short route: KTRI HMV SUG PELAM PEDAL ELW GRD LEDAS KCAE

in the LVFR 319, had to fly the route manually, setting the heading and lining up the arrows myself. at pelam, used SPA 256 course as VOR2 but since we can’t switch to it, I had to set the VOR1 frequency to SPA and course to 256 once I got within 1nm of PELAM.

And that’s pretty much how I did it, put the next VOR frequency into the scratchpad part of the MCDU then when I got to the next vor, click that for the vor1 frequency then quickly put in the course, then manually tune the heading to fly the radial.

Everything has to be done manually, one vor frequency at a time.