A32NX will not be returning to the marketplace

There is no ‘user profile’ for either platform, really. Just as alot of PC users aren’t interested in the finer details of aviation, a lot of Xbox users are.

And the platform is perfectly capable of running the sim to a very good standard. The controller issue is something that needs to be addressed, granted, but having flight plan importability, or access to navigraph in-game, I’d argue isn’t essential to qualify as ‘serious’. Neither is VR.

I use a tablet for navigraph, and simbrief, and if I use skyvector. I have the Hotas 1 and it works great, button mapping issues not withstanding. I am serious about aviation and flight simming, I just am not in a position to spend potentially thousands on a PC set up that will allow me to run the sim to as good a standard as I can on an Xbox.

I’m not a fan of this PC elitism rubbish. Where I’m somehow below people who use a PC for it. It’s something I’ve seen a fair bit on these forums. I think it’s quite prevalent, whether consciously or subconsciously.

7 Likes

Everyone not happy with FBWs decision is free to invest their own spare time and start a A320 or any other project themselves and make it available for free to the community via the marketplace.

FBW you are doing a wonderful job and I have no right whatsoever to even question or bemoan your decisions as it is your spare time and you provide this great A320 for free.

Please keep up the great work and don’t be discouraged by a few. I guess the many happy simmers are simply not as vocal in their appreciation.

Thanks a lot FBW.

2 Likes

Simply put, we want people to use our source code, APIs, tools etc. But at the same time we also want them to give back to the community as it is, without having a commercial interest in mind. We know of other fellow freeware devs who will benefit from this, and we are happy about it. But an XYZ brand repackaging our code for possibly 100s of dollars is something we are against.

I’m not sure if you’re aware but we are also working on an A380 which is progressing quite well at this point. [WIP] A380X | FlybyWire Simulations

7 Likes

Just a clear reminder from the Standard Operating Procedure:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/faq

One World, One Community - No matter how you play – regardless of console, experience level, or reason – we are one community of aviation lovers.

Please keep comments focused on the thread topic.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

I had hoped the focus would be that as many as possible interest players could use your planes.

Neverttheless, good luck with your endevours. It’s your code, you decide, all good.

I’ll just wait for another A380.

1 Like

A general note, we are not particularly against any MSFS users, be it the ones on PC or on Xbox. We would still appreciate Xbox players having a chance to try out the A32NX and the A380X, and for that to somehow happen, we made sure to exhaust all our options before making this announcement. It’s not like we are happy soloing out a particular group of simmers, in fact we are more than happy to assist the casual group of simmers who show up on our Discord with smallest of issues with their aircrafts. We also have one of the best-in-class documentation and guides that would help casual simmers learn more about the aircraft.

I just don’t understand why a few people on this thread are trying to spin a narrative like this one, where we simply do not care about more potential users.

4 Likes

The license is intended to let us build a base for as many high-fidelity free and open-source aircraft as possible (from FBW, and other groups), and to facilitate sharing of improvements between all those projects. I can’t speak for others but I think that is very pragmatic myself, as my personal goal is a thriving ecosystem of FOSS add-ons.

Lawyers are very risk-averse, so we can’t have everything unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue: .

2 Likes

Have you done a poll to see how many PC users have a $1000+ GPU? I’ll hazard a guess and say those that do are in the minority.
The devs are going to be trying to optimise the FS experince for a whole spectrum of PC’s. You can’t categorise ‘PC Users’ as all top end, I’d say the vast majority aren’t. You could argue that with all the permutations and combinations of motherboards, CPU’s, GPU’s and memory specs that the PC market is actually harder to stabilise FS around. This pigeonholing of ‘XBox’ users as having some hugely degraded platform & that FS is being dumber down for is pure high end PC owner snobbery. Plenty of old time FS simmers over on XBox too. In the end we all want the same thing, a stable sim optimised on our own platform. Right now it’s the instabilities that many see across platforms that are killing the experience more than anything. XBox users are seeing the same graphics degredation as the rest of you. eg cloud pixellation most recently. I’m guessing some of that degredation may be part of them trying to address CTD’s but there appears to be little info about this anywhere other than from users on here. But let’s just blame it all on the XBox.

Well said. Agree 100%.

It is your money, and you may spend it on any device, or mix of devices, that you choose. If you find an Xbox device acceptable for serious simming, then by all means, use it for that purpose. I do not, however, for the reasons I’ve already explained, and to me that is no different than when I tell people that I think having a 2060 Super or better will render you the best results with MSFS. At least until su5 came out, my latter point may need to be revisited.

I do think it’s a bit paranoid of you to accuse me of disrespecting users when the reality is that I’m disrespecting the device, nothing more and nothing less.

As for the subject at the heart of this thread, while I am disappointed it came to this, and feel bad for people who purchased Xboxes with the anticipation of being able to use this addon, I can’t say that I am particularly surprised. Though I thought it would ultimately be performance issues that led to this happening, especially as time goes by and the code for the addon becomes more and more complex, thus requiring compute resources that a 3 or 4 year old Xbox S or even X may not have.

I still don’t understand the issues as it relates to the various license types, and if someone would care to explain it to me like I was 5, I would appreciate it. I’m not a coder, nor do I possess any other skills that might be useful for FBW (though I wish I did), so I don’t understand the jargon.

Please feel free to follow FBWs example, invest your spare time and or money and provide a plane for free on the marketplace. Or get involved into FBW and support them with your spare time.

You might not have realized what FBW is - it is an open source project run by volunteers in their spare time and made available for free (see their note and their website).

Can you not respect someone’s decision who does sth for free?

2 Likes

GPL allows anyone to do that though. They have to release the source code under GPL but they can still sell their product with your code in it. Think you said other license restrictions also apply, but GPL itself would not be enough.

Why did Asobo turn to these freeware developers in the first place? Did they not have the in house resources from the outset ?

2 Likes

Erm… they didn’t (to the best of my knowledge).

1 Like

Easier said than done. My opinion about this is companies with commercial interests wouldn’t touch GPLed code with a ten-foot pole, just to make some money while their customers figure out the same is available for free

1 Like

well, that’s their own “entertaining project”, a million more users vs no users won’t affect their earnings, and to be fair, with the license type making it difficult for themselves to develop the aircraft and requires them to make a separate plane just to put in the market place seems counter intuitive to me

‘Well, I’ve been preaching for months that Xbox is not the right place for serious simmers. For kids, yes. For those who want “just a flying game”, sure, why not. But for people who know what an instrument approach plate is and want to use them properly, I just do not think Xbox is the right place’

Your words. You’re stating essentially that people should only really use the Xbox if they fall within this bracket. It’s dismissive, as I said.

But, that’s fine. I’m not here to change your mind, you’re entrenched in your opinion and that’s what works for you. I’m just disagreeing with it.

Anyway, on the subject of the actual thread, I’m disappointed with FBW’s decision, as their A320 is clearly brilliant and this is compounded by the fact that the default A320 is watered down, unmitigated tripe. But, I can see things from their perspective and I understand the decision.

2 Likes

Yeah that I agree with, that is my experience as well. The exception being those who sell GPL distributions along with a support contract but that is a different scenario altogether…

1 Like

No need Steam do it for you. At least in terms of gaming users, obviously mum and dad homework PCs are not showing up on this table. Nor are $10,000 graphics workstations.

TLDR - the top two cards the GTX1060 and RTX2060 between them account for just under 20% (one fifth) of users …

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

as you would expect RTX30xx series users are still well under 10% but rising steadily, the percentage of users sticking with gtx10xx cards is dropping, albeit surprisingly slowly.

The survey samples all steam gamers so the number of MSFS users with RTX30xx GPUs may well be higher than the normal Steam population.

1 Like

That is true, but the key point about the GPL here is that this company then has to release any improvements it does on the plane in source code form and therefore the FBW project can then use it in turn to improve the A32NX.

Added value to pay for a plane can also be to provide support in form of assistance or guarantee that bugs get fixed. If there is a company willing to do this and even pays people to work on the A32NX why not?

Having the MIT license it might mean that they take all the stuff and continue to work on it without releasing anything in source code form…

5 Likes