A32NX will not be returning to the marketplace

Interesting to see thanks. Difficult to assess with there being so many cards out there. Quite a lot of lower end ones popular though. Would be interesting to see that table just for FS users. Would also be interesting to see an sortable ‘current price’ column. When you see the sheer quantity of card permutations out there and consider driver development etc it’s a wonder there aren’t more instabilities on PC than there are.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been an out break of minimum PC specist snobbery too going on in entitled high end graphics card PC land, maybe I just missed it.

I’d like to remind everyone to be kind to each other and to please not exclude fellow simmers on Xbox. While the article my friends at FBW have written does outline the impossibility to make it to that platform, nowhere have they said anything about it being due to its performance, capabilities, or what they think of the users enjoying the sim on it.

We are, at the end of the day, all here to enjoy flying.

8 Likes

A good point, It is. And to be fair, my concern is not particularly aimed at this developer nor even at the decision they have made. (though I’ll admit my disappointment was showing, but more for philosophical reasons)

I think it falls more on MS/A to look at this as a challenge that is within their control.

This is a point about the ecosystem for me.

Xbox is a walled garden of content whereby access is controlled by MS/A, but how easy that can be accessed from outside is very much in MS/A’s control. If there is a developer that is stymied by the ease with which content can access Xbox then that’s an issue that I would like to see MS/A meet with a problem-solving mindset, not with a shrug.

Naturally there will always be content that will and can exist only for PC.

But for Xbox to be more than fully vanilla it must be capable of going well beyond ‘casual’ (why else sell peripherals for the platform). If it is practicable to allow some current third-party content to reach Xbox then that should be made viable and attractive to happen.

The issue is not that this developer could make it happen by tortuous means, it is that because of the difficulty they don’t want to.

I would like to see MS/A build some more gates through the wall. :thinking:

4 Likes

I very wise decision on behalf of the FBW team. They wanted to provide quality free quality for MSFS, and MS just makes it difficult for them! (And let’s face it, MS is also not interested in hosting free 3rd party content, as it means no $$$ for them.) I would do the exact same thing if I found myself in their position.

2 Likes

I believe there are at least 2 free 3rd party offerings available with MS; Paderborn airport by Aerosoft and also the WT G1000Nxi.

1 Like

I agree with this. It’s a good point. Will Microsoft continue to operate a continued pseudo-closed shop, as it were, or will they make the marketplace more user-friendly for developers? At the moment, given what I’ve read about justflight and their tribulations, they seem to be making it difficult at the moment.

Also as an xbox user, I understand and accept that some things will only be available on PC, and that’s fine. I’d just like the marketplace to be a bit more welcoming, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

External Apps is the way to go right now, so XBOX users are out of realistic flights until MS solve core problems

1 Like

Fully support FBW’s decision. Majority of PC users can and have the technical ability to use the launcher, shame x-boxers will miss out.

The entire modus operandi of Asobo and the market place is a mess. The wild west nature of the junk that can be sold on there, slow update process for devs etc just backs up the decision.

4 Likes

Certainly agree about the marketplace. I really don’t know what their MO is. It’s almost like they are trying to alienate quality developers, and let the guff slip through the cracks. There are a few planes I do actually like (Waco YMF, C170, Husky) but they are extremely thin on the ground.

Inevitable really and fair play to FBW for making the decsion. unfortunaltely Xbox will always have it’s limitations vs PC.

Part of the overall problem…let the dodgy conversions and poor products on whilst have zero communication but proper 3rd party devs and so updates break their products with no notice.

Come on Asobo, we are on your side but you have to help yourselves here first.

2 Likes

Good decision from fbw. marketplace is a useless at all.

1 Like

Yes, this is the elephant in the room. The mod is denied to XBOX users so that no one could attempt to make it closed source. It reminds me of the “we had to destroy the village in order to rescue it” used by some general in Vietnam.

Again. If it is indeed released under the GPL it allows anyone to take the FBW A320, modify it and upload it to anyplace as long as the derived work still completely adheres to the GPL. Of course you would have the same problem that the marketplace has completely different requirements and that you can’t change the license.

I just want to say again that it was a deliberate decision by the modders to insist on a license that is incompatible with the Marketplace.

No, it is more like “the mod is made available to PC users”.
Remember, this is freeware. The developers are under absolutely no obligation to meet anybodys requirements or demands. They are doing this for free in their spare time.
So FBW deserves a big thank you.

9 Likes

Has nothing to do with limitations. If FBW wanted to make a plane for Xbox, they could’ve.

Surely the ultimate answer here is that MS need to allow GPL for the freeware section of the marketplace?

If so, while of course Xbox users will quite rightly be disappointed in the news, their efforts would be best spent creating a wish post with vote for such a thing? I assume it’s out of Asobo’s hands as the store is run by MS themselves, but increased visibility and noise cant hurt.

Doesn’t solve aspects of the simulation that FBW are considering running externally though I suppose.

2 Likes

Not so ultimate because it’s need of another third party mod to make aspects of it work.

Personally I would like to see MS spare the manpower to create such a mod solely for use on community projects and possibly other marketplace ones. It need not be opensource and to me it is the only feasible solution to see the Neo back on Xbox. Importantly it could also be useful for other devs wishing to sell on the platform.

That’s not surprising at all. My 1080Ti works perfectly fine with most current games with a really small downside of some beauty-features. But a new card would mean a new PC here. Itr would have to be a 30 series or comparable AMD, which would require a completely new tower with new cooling, new MBoard, new CPU, new RAM, new SSDs… You get it, it’s not just the card if you currently run a 10 series. And the prizes at the moment are simply stellar. If my card would melt now I would simply not have a PC anymore and my dog and girlfriend would be baffled by all the attention they get. And my PS4 would probably heat up the living-room. No, no change of cards atm.

But this has derailed, this topic is about the A320.

1 Like

Prices are coming down I just bought a 3060 for only double the RRP of when they came out, three months ago it would have cost me at least treble and that’s if I could even find one … While I’m sure prices will drop further I’ve taken the gamble we won’t be seeing them drop back to their original level.