Inaccurate Snow and the Ability to Decouple or Turn Off Snow on Ground from Live Weather

I would find it to be extremely useful to decouple the “snow on the ground” setting from the rest of weather. This would allow for the snow on the ground to be changed and still keep the live weather setting.

Where I live, the amount of snow on the ground doesn’t necessarily align with the year. For example, we had snow a week ago, despite it still technically being summer. Would like to have live weather turned on, but the day after it snowed, there was snow on the ground and clear skies. In the sim, there was no snow on the ground. Would be great to add snow to the ground. Since this is simply a visual feature that does not affect the rest of the weather in flight, seems like it would be pretty straight forward.

:slight_smile:

pls keep in mind that this feature is from also NASA hard to implement :wink: it looks similary as if I say that in our region still trees are green and not to Autumn depended…

This is a great idea and I’d suggest in addition the following:

Snow can take days (even months) to melt depending on the quantity and the external temperature. It can also take days before being removed from roads and streets.

It shouldn’t be hard to split snow falling from snow accumulating in the simulator, along the lines of your suggestion, then, virtually melting it over a certain period of time depending on surface temperature and surface type (grass, street, road, runway, taxiway)

Also, since FS2020 is outsourcing weather data and it is most certain their partner is saving weather history, it shouldn’t be too hard to review past days events so that when you start the simulator a few days after a snow storm you’d see snow on the ground even though you have a clear sky.

4 Likes

I actually do not think this should be particularly difficult to achieve. The simulator already allows you to manually increase and decrease the levels of snow on the ground when you are in a custom weather environment. I would just be looking for that same functionality but in a live weather environment.

I do understand that things like leaves on trees is much harder because the rendering of the trees is based on satellite imagery. But the snow is not. It is virtually rendered in the game to cover surfaces. So whether that is done in a customer weather environment or real time, it should not really matter.

:slight_smile:

:slight_smile: ok,

but you’ve mentioned that you had f.ex. snow weak ago so I’m only curious how you want synchronize that snow on ground as you want, nothing more. I simply understand from your post that sim use seasion as snow time f.ex. but you want snow in time that is on specific place, not depended temperature at specific time, this is question, not melting because you said that you have snow in some time ago :slight_smile:

Looks like there are weather resources actively tracking snow accumulation. No need to guess based on prior snowy weather.

USA
https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/

Europe
http://zoz.cbk.waw.pl/snieg/en/

2 Likes

Great interview with Asobo. They are working on snow and seasons, but its very difficult to do properly eg do you have snowploughs at airports/winter clothes etc?. Snow accumulations are done, apparently…

PS
VR is nearly ready and is mind blowing. “Holy sh!t its amazing”, “everyone needs to try this”, “transformative”, “everything just feels real”, “exactly like the real world, its crazy” :open_mouth:

Just voted!

What they’re sayins is that there may be snow on the ground at any time. It would just be nice to edit that and still have live weather. As soon as you click “live weather,” the snow goes away unless it happens to be snowing. Up here in wisconsin, the snow stays all winter and it would be nice to have the snow cover be there while still selecting live weather. They just need to disconnect the two and have a button for Snow cover. Then we could select live weather and still have our snow. Even if the leaves are covered with snow, it still looks pretty good.

1 Like

It would be great to use live weather clouds but be able to add a little snow with the awesome snow slider for mountain flying etc

Okay, I get it, Alaska is cold. Even in the summer it can be chilly. Like today, I took off on a flight from Unalaska Airport (PADU) in the Aleutian Islands, an it was a brisk 56F according to the weather report. Decided to do a water takeoff. But…my aircraft was stuck in the ice. In the summer. In the central Aleutians. A quick check of the FAA weather camera for Unalaska shows no snow or ice anyhere to be seen…because it’s late August. It’d be weird for there to be any snow, let alone an iced over harbor. The simulator should know better, too, as it was registering an OAT of 15C.

Is there a way to turn off the snow coverage without disabling the live weather? Does Asobo have any plan of fixing these immersion breaking bugs?

There’s still a few “skiffs” of it in Northern Ontario (in the sim). Flew from Cochrane to Kapuskasing and there were some white patches / edges despite the 30+ degree weather :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somethings live weather gets it wrong. It would be nice to have a snow ground cover slider with live weather to offset any errors with out having to disable live winds and clouds.

1 Like

The weather system is terrible they even admitted it needs work

1 Like

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?

MS

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Nope

Brief description of the issue:

Today is 21 December 2021. This is the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere but the Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere. But MSFS doesn’t appreciate the latitude difference and has New Zealand buried under snow and glaciers.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Go fly in New Zealand with “Lie” Weather right now.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

1.21.13 or whatever the version du jour is after GOTY and Reno additions.

1 Like

Just flew there and no snow or bugger all with live weather selected.Flew Cristchurch to Wanaka .Where abouts are you flying?If your in the southern alps there still going to be a bit of snow round Aoraki Mount Cook for sure.

I couldn’t tell you the exact place. There’s a cluster of about 6 POIs in mountain valleys. We flew from an airfield on the west coast through the mountains and out the other side to the airport shown, which was also about at sea level.

I could accept a bit of snow on the mountaintops this time of year, if the mountains are tall enough. Sure. But deep snow on the flat ground near sea level at midsummer seemed a bit odd ;).

On this flight, I was in vox comms with @CuzDawg3 whom you can see in the 1st pic and parked beside me in the last pic. He confirmed he had the same snow I did.

Yep its the same for me in live weather when I fly out of Milford Sound

1 Like

Live weather today in Milford Sound. This is supposed to be summer in NZ?

2 Likes