Ability to merge similar threads on the forum and add up the votes!

Please add an option on the forum which lets OPs merge similar threads (with mutual agreement) and add up the votes. It is super frustrating right now that there are sometimes multiple threads concerning the same topics / bugs / wish-list items which individually will never get enough votes to raise attention.

Hi @anon50268670.

Thanks for taking the time to leave your request.

Unfortunately, your request cannot be actioned for reasons explained below. Because this post has useful information for all of our users around reporting duplicate wishlist/bug threads, I have moved it to general discussion where it is more likely to be seen.

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums are powered by Discourse, an awesome and modern open-source forum suite. This means we cannot alter the core functions of these forums.

Even if we could, giving all users the ability to merge posts has the potential to be abused, with quite extreme repercussions. As such it makes sense that the moderator team alone has this responsibility.

With that said, if you spot a duplicate topic I encourage you to report it to the team. You can do this in one of two ways:

1. For users who have reached Trust Level 2: Click the :white_flag:  Flag button at the bottom of the topic or the original post. When the report modal opens up, select the option ‘Something Else’. This enables you to send the moderators a message along with your flag

2. For all other users: send @moderators a private message

The message should include a note that indicates the topic is a duplicate, as well as links to one or more duplicate topics.

However, please note, there is a bug with the official Discourse Voting plugin which provides the vote function in #self-service:wishlist, #self-service:bugs-issues and out Q and A categories that are preventing votes from being merged when we merge one or more topics.

At the moment all the team can do is close/merge duplicate topics, and encourage users to vote in the main topic going forward. It is for this reason that it is really important users search before they create new topics.

Thanks for your answer, that is really unfortunate…

Especially topics which are a little technical in nature struggle to receive votes anyway and this is made worse by all the duplicates. I normally search before I add something, but I have to say the search function isn’t perfect either, and it is possible to miss things (or people should formulate their titles better, either way).

This is a big part of the problem. All too often users post topics with non-descript titles. You can report these issues to the moderator team as well so we can fix them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.