Ability to Save Graphics Settings/Profiles

Yep, but it’s sometimes forgotten to state that you should make it writable again as soon as an update is to be installed.
This might yield in all sorts of issues.

Good point, I guess so.

I think I’ll leave it and see what results.
I wouldn’t think it would block an update/install program.
But, better safe than sorry.

Making a main user config file read-only is certainly not something the developers consider regular use, just make sure not to forget it.

Not saying it will cause issues, but it might.

1 Like

Ok thanks everyone for the inputs. I don’t seem to have this issue where the game resets the old graphics setting. Not using Nvidia GFE. File UserCfg.opt is not set to read only. But I believe there should be an option to save user’s graphics and control settings somewhere in case something gets broken. Actually all game preferences from the right hand main menu should be able to get saved under the user’s profile both locally and in the cloud.

Mine does not.
My UserCfg.opt file. It is Read Only.

My General Options Screenshot.

Shutdown MSFS.
Back to desktop.
Started MSFS.

Nothing changed.

What am I missing?

Nothing.

So long as it is Read Only your LOD over-ride will continue to work.

BTW:
You can also backup your control settings.
Mine got broken once, copied back my control bindings into the appropriate files and everything worked out. Although they may be saved in the cloud, I had no problem restoring the settings. Did not try if this still works though and it would not be anything a common user should be expected to be capable of.

Is this on anyone’s radar, so to speak? It would be nice to be able to save settings for Jets vs. GA singles, for example. When flying high, terrain is not as important to me and vice versa.

1 Like

It really makes sense that we should have the ability to save custom graphics settings. I don’t know of many who run a pure “medium,” “high,” or “ultra” setting.

I know I personally would benefit from having at least three:

• my standard settings (best performance and graphics for my machine
  • VR
  • screenshot

I never fly VR, not because I don’t particularly want to, but because the hassle of finding my VR screenshots of my settings and going through everything to get it set up and make it playable is more trouble than it’s worth.

I’d also love to turn it up to ultra for the occasional screenshot (and 0.2 fps on my machine), but I don’t because, again, I’d have to screenshot and readjust all my current settings after.

Hope others would benefit from this, too!

yes, would be very nice.

Wish we could do this.
I need high settings when flying VFR in a helicopter.
I need lower settings when flying a big jet (looking at you, Fenix!)

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post merged into this topic.

Hi!
Just an idea for the future. As far as I saw there is no option to save more than one graphics preset in the game.
This would be a cool feature in the future to save custom graphics presets. …and why? For exaple my computer can’t handle the same (high) settings in the Fenix A320 like in a Cessna C152. So when I hopping in a A320 from a C152 I need to change the settings back down a bit or vica versa.
I would be really happy If I could able to create a “VFR” and a “IFR” (just example names) preset for graphics and simply switch between them when I want it. (I know I need to restart my simulator due to some settings but I don’t need to change the settings one by one).

Greetings

You can just switch from Ultra to High when you make you change with no need to restart, see it in there already. It wont save custom settings but it will save the generic ones.

I’m understand what are you talking about but the factory presets are really bad. Atleast for me.
I’m talking about the real custom presets here (now in the merged topic).
Where I can fine tune my settings for test when I like and save it.
FSX and P3D was able to handle this function so I don’t think It would be so hard to implement this feature into MSFS.

After having spent days tinkering with the various graphics settings I finally settled on a compromise that somehow works for me, but it made me aware how much the ability to quickly change settings is needed. I found this older thread and thought I’d refresh it. :slight_smile:

It’s not just for tweaking and testing purposes. There are numerous cases one could think of why such a feature is essential to have. I finally settled on settings that allow me to fly over Manhattan without stutters in any plane, but this means that for any other scenario less demanding I am wasting a lot of headroom that could be utilized in many different ways.

I guess many people change TAA render resolution on the fly as needed. As I only have a RTX3060i, I now settled on DLSS Balanced with 1.25 SS in ODT, which I can dial up or down to Performance and Quality as needed.

But other than resolution, there are so many other settings that I’d like to have on Ultra in one situation and Off in another:

TLOD: Max high in the air, Min on the ground or while taking off/landing
OLOD: Min high in the air, Max on the ground or while taking off/landing
Cars, boats, buildings, trees, grass: Low or Off higher in the air, High or Ultra flying low
Clouds: Ultra when they’re important, Off when you’ve got other things on your mind (taking off/landing)
The list goes on…

And these graphics profiles should then ideally be accessible through the toolbar on the fly, like the weather and time of day, and even more ideally it should be possible to allocate these profiles to keyboard shortcuts so one could switch over without even interrupting the flight at all. One could then even use Voice Attack. :slight_smile:

And maybe then someone would even come up with a mod to automatically switch profiles based on altitude. Wouldn’t that be something? :slight_smile:

One would think that this feature would be relatively easy to implement. It would allow us to utilize all our processing resources optimally for the features we need or want in each flight situation.

In my mind how could this not be at the top of everyone’s wish list? Or am I wrong?

3 Likes

Just like controller profiles.

The problem is that flying complex airliners into dense cities and massive and detailed airports is more demanding on the system than flying General Aviation planes into small airfields in the wilderness. This means that I like to run lower graphics settings and with a lower TLOD with my PMDG 737 compared to the Ultra settings and very high TLOD when flying General Aviation. Currently, I have to have a screenshot of my settings for each and change the settings depending on what I want to fly. This seems silly. I should be able to just switch between some profiles I have set up much as I do for the controller settings for different planes.

I would also like these profiles to include things like whether I want to have photogrammetry on or off.

2 Likes

What is this “Automatically Bumped”?
Why?

The auto-bump is on Wishlist topics that are voteable as bumping topics are not allowed by members. As the wishlist is big, the auto-bump was implemented so as to rotate the wishes for users to see and vote on more easily.

The other auto-bump is in Friends, Clubs & Groups

The auto-bump has assisted the moderation team in finding duplicate wishes as well as clearing out topics in Friends, Clubs & Groups that are no longer active. If you find a wish that has been implemented in MSFS or it’s a duplicate, you can assist moderators by flagging it as “something else” and we’ll look at it for closing or merging.

Thanks for the reply and explanation.

Just seems hard to understand.
In this case 7 months with no replies.

Keep up the good work.