Achievement unlocked: perfection

Actually (sorry!) I also meant to ask you what your traffic settings look like, as I feel like these can make quite an impact.

Cheers

Hey. Np. As for weather, i don’t really use live weather consistently, but often i do. My cpu doesn’t support hyperthreading so that’s off by nature. Traffic settings are all on 50% except fauna on 100. But i used to have them all on 10%, so that’s just something i tried recently, didn’t seem to hurt anything so i just left it at 50% for now. I do have all other airplanes set to generic, maybe that has some impact, i dunno.

Also important for me personally are the following nvidia CP settings:

• power managed: prefer max performance
  • texture filtering - aniso sample opt. = OFF
  • texture filtering - negative LOD = CLAMP
  • texture filtering - trilinear opt = OFF
  • threaded optimization = OFF
  • triple buffering = OFF
  • Vsync is “use app settings” but it’s definitelly off in sim
  • VR pre-rendered frames = 1

Either the negative LOD or trilinear optimisation give me a noticably better clarity since forever. I dunno which one, or if combo of both, but it’s either there or there’s a big psychological perception of difference. I’m sure a lot of people won’t agree with these settings though. For me, this is set and forget though.

Also of course, game mode, HAGS and variable refresh rate settings in windows are off as well.

Before the 3080ti i used to have my cpu oced to 5ghz, i even set that back to non-oc default.

Mind you, the performance is extremely relative to what area you’re flying as i’m sure you’re aware. I really spend most of the time above my country. Try flying LJLJ (Ljubljana) or LJZA (small local airport, use nxcub) for comparison reasons. But i did try London the other day and i could still maintain 22.5 if i lowered clouds to high.

Thanks. Yes, to be fair my test scenario is quite heavy, i.e. Northolt AB (EGWU) right next door to Heathrow and London and of course it’s usually raining here! :blush: (Although not for a while this year)
And I try to use the TBM for glass panels, etc. just to push things, so I know that most other places and planes should be fine.

I’ll jump in the NVCP and set those too - like you I tend not to mess with those very often.

I’ll have a fly around Ljubljana too - haven’t flown there since some campaigns in Falcon 4. :blush:

1 Like

ok i’ll also try EGWU and let you know how it goes.

Hey again!

So, just tried LJZA - what a beautiful area :slight_smile:

Frame rate was very very poor when I first entered the flight, maybe because it was caching the scenery? (and my Internet is not great ~40Mbps)
But, after around 3-4 mins, suddenly I was locked at 30fps and all was good. I did a few circuits around the mountain to the right of runway 04 and then landed back in the opposite direction on 22.

WX was few clouds (although live should have been cloudy/overcast)

Really nice flight once the frame rate had stabilised.

I’ve recently tried to manually cache the area around EGWU to see if that’s what causes the issues, but even then I think with London (the city) and Heathrow close by, it just struggles.

Have you tried EGWU yet to see if your experience is the same?

Hey man. I’m sorry, was a little busy this week. I just went ahead and tried EGWU and LJZA for comparison at the same settings.

Settings used for test purposes:

Resolution at 100% across the board, which is 3156x3088. All in-game settings set between high and ultra, mostly on high. AMD FSR sharpening at 200, DLSS at quality. LOD at 170 and object detail level at 200. Toolkit settings: NO upscale (fsr or nis), FFR at quality/wide preset. Motion reprojection unlocked.

At LJZA: Taking off from runway 22 towards SW locked at 31 fps, never droping below. APPCPU and APPGU reading in the toolkit read respectively around 10k for the cpu and 24-25k for the gpu. After taking off and gaining around 2000 ft, appcpu is at cca 9k, and gpu at around 21-22k.
Fun fact… If you start off from LJZA from runway 22 towards SW across the town and then turn E at the river in the valley and follow that river E for about 2km you will come across the largest chimney in Europe at 365m high. That’s my hometown to the N of the chimney. But you need this mod to actoually see it in MSFS: We Love VFR - Region 1 » Microsoft Flight Simulator
It’s a great mod, adds objects like this across the whole europe (or most of the world if you download all regions).

Here’s the chimney :smiley:

Moving on to EGWU:

Same settings. Nearly same results. Locked at 31 from the get go, except cpu usage seems to be higher as reported appcpu is at around 14k. I flew from runway 25 and towards that factory to the W and then circled between the EGWU and the factory. Once 2k+ ft in the air, the cpu and gpu dropped to 11k/22k.
For fun i then lowered DLSS to balanced and raised resolution to 4400x4300 cca lol but it was still smooth and able to maintain 23 fps. Btw i was flying with the google maps and clear skies not live weather (i think!). Also, my traffic settings are set to very low atm.

I should add though, that the latest SU10 BETA reintroduced stutters for me. My framerates are smooth but i’m getting periodical stuttering, like maybe every 10 seconds or so. It’s pretty anoying so my perfection is gone atm sadly :frowning:

That’s all for now. If you want me to try anything else, let me know.

Cheers

ONE more thing that i just found out…i made a thread about it here, i suggest you read it. IMPORTANT - DLSS version Performance degradation

1 Like

Certainly no need to apologise! Thanks for testing - I know we all get less sim time than we would like :blush:

Interesting results though. I’ll definitely try the earlier DLSS dll for sure.

I did download We Love VFR before so I’ll enable it again (I try to keep things vanilla when using the beta)

EDIT: since I started typing this (yesterday!) I managed to do a quick test with the older 2.4.6 DLSS dll and got a good 30fps even at EGWU in the Just Flight Hawk. On the deck I was at 22.5 but once I climbed out it went to 30. I did have to do the Task Manager trick but that may well be fixed in the new OpenXR runtime due out soon, so I could be pretty close to getting a great experience.
This was with everything still at Ultra btw :relaxed:

Thanks for your help and guidance. Feeling pretty positive currently - of course that could all change tomorrow, who knows? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

glad to hear it :smiley: Very happy for you, i know how frustrating it is when msfs is not being friendly :smiley: Enjoy your flights mate

1 Like

Hey Wheelie.

Can you do another test on your end for me please. I recently discovered my sim runs better with HAGS on suddenly, after all that time where HAGS would deteriorate performance. Could you let me know what it does for you if you turn it on? Cheers

Funnily enough, I read that in another post recently, so for the most recent tests, it has been on!
Seems to be working well :+1:
(I haven’t actually tested with turning it off to compare, so it may still be good with it turned off but where I am right now, I don’t want to change anything :smiley: )

1 Like

I want to urge caution here with HAGS. I have spent more time than I care to admit tweaking settings and have the “perfection” dialed in, with very similar settings and results that you have outlined in your thread. About a month ago I decided to turn HAGS back on (because I was trying to come up with a work-around to the bug where MR doesn’t lock until you pull a foreground window like the task manager in front of the MSFS window) and I got some surprisingly good performance results in many areas with HAGS enabled.

BUT, I immediately went from absolutely ZERO crashing problems, to intermittent crashing with HAGS enabled. Thankfully, this was the only setting I was playing with and the crashes happened pretty quick so I knew what caused it. This is the 2nd time where I have once again told myself, “never again, HAGS is staying off forever.” lol

I want to contribute one thing here you haven’t mentioned. Maybe you already do this, but this is part of my startup routine and it gives me 10+ FPS. The NVIDIA GeForce experience overlay has an overhead.

Before starting MSFS, hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC (task manager) click on the Services tab, and STOP any and all NVIDIA services that are running. Now click on your details tab to list out ANY “NvContainer” processes (or anything nvidia related) and kill those. (END TASK)

The reason you need to stop the services is first, is because even if you kill the nvidia processes, the services spawn more nvidia containers. What this trick does is effectively kill your over lay (ALT-Z)

For me I saw a 10-15 FPS boost doing this. It was a huge game changer, right up there with DLSS in terms of performance gains.

There are installers you can download that are referred to as “Clean NVIDIA” installers which basically install the driver without the overlay and all that. But it makes updating to the recent drivers annoying, because you no longer have the GeForce Experience app which informs you when new drivers are released. My method allows you to keep all of that intact, so you can still use the overlay for other games, etc… and update your driver easily. When it comes time to squeeze out every frame possible… kill those services and processes.

for me, perfection in this sim will be when we acheive 90 fps in a hmd with human eye resolution and a large fov, with all settings maxxed out.

I hated HAGS like any other tweaker here, but seriously, this time around it’s beneficial. Including other titles. As for your driver method, good tip. I went ahead and did this with the “stripped” driver method but like you said, it quickly got very anoying doing it with every updated driver. I’m definitelly trying it, because i had huge gains with the hacked driver. Thank you.

Might as well just go fly a real plane then :smiley: Perfection is of course a very relative term. Compared to what my experience in this sim was a few months ago vs now, i’m in 7th heaven.

1 Like

Just popping back in to say that with the latest beta build (.17) I seem to have lost that smoothness. So the .16 build definitely seems to be the best so far.
Haven’t tried it with HAGS off though… (and I have HT disabled… so many combinations to try :sob: )

Mind you, once you update to a new beta release, the DLSS gets again replaced by the latest dlss ver so you need to switch it once again to 2.4.6. Once i updated to .7 i lost smoothness as well, but again when i changed the dlss to earlier ver, i got fluidity back.

The G2 is hands-down the best overall VR experience right now. I was very happy with mine, but returned it due to lack of use. I had it setup perfectly!

No, it doesn’t seem to be that actually.
I thought I had (and I had!) changed the DLL after the update to .17, so not sure what it is now.
I’m certainly getting the “pulsing” FPS now, so I’m hopeful that the WMR OpenXR runtime update (which is supposed to fix that) comes out today.

I’ll try around LJZA again to see if I get my smooth 30fps. It’s very strange how the performance changes considerably from day to day. Maybe it’s simply the time of day/server load - but I don’t use PG as my Internet connection isn’t strong enough for that, so I use a combination of manual and rolling cache for the ortho textures and autogen buildings. But the area where I test near EGWU is in my manual cache so should be good. Maybe I’ll clear that away and see if it’s better. Perhaps having it at fairly high detail in the manual cache causes the issue?

the varjo aero is the best experience with msfs, it gets higher fps and much higher clarity than a G2.
you returned yours? couldn’t have been that good then lol! :smiley: