Add support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR 2.0)

How is that on supported games page at AMD.com there is MSFS listed but there is no option for it in MSFS? Or is it hidden somewhere?

It is listed in the FidelityFX page because it supports FidelityFX CAS (it replaced Asobo’s sharpening filter in Sim Update 1 back in October 2020). You can select to show which games support FSR (or any other FidelityFX technology) specifically.

I’ll put in my bump to this thread now that Asobo have mentioned DLSS officially in a live-stream.

I myself and many others run Radeon 6000 GPU’s currently, and would love to see AMD’s FSR added as a natively-available option in Flight Simulator 2020.

The article linked below goes over the ease with which some studios had in implementing FidelityFX Super Resolution:

I couldn’t find the reference, but from what I understand, is that if a game already includes any FidelityFX features, such as CAS Sharpening, then implementing FSR is even more simple as the framework that contains FFX CAS will also hold FSR.

It would be a nice option to have available. Keep up the good work, Asobo :heart:

7 Likes

Agreed, this needs to get more attention, especially with the announcement of DLSS, the AMD website still shows MSFS 2020 as a supported game, but we all know that’s not full support and FSR is really the only important aspect of Fidelity FX from AMD that we all want.

Come on Asobo, make it happen. It’s been a long enough wait.

2 Likes

It is supported for anty aliasing. Saddly no FSR yet. I guess we should totally spam the chat with that during their live Q&A and maybe get in touch with Jayne for her to make sure she’ll ask Seb and others about that.

Moving this discussion here because it doesn’t belong in the DLSS thread.

Do you have a source on this? I don’t recall Asobo ever saying they switched to AMD’s rendering techniques. They have actually strongly hinted that things like the ray-marched reflections are their own in-house technology.

And then there’s AMD’s official website which clearly states MSFS is exclusively using CAS, and no other FidelityFX solutions.

That would be RSR, and as you said, it will be limited to GPUs based on RDNA and newer. Considering that external solutions (like RSR and Magpie) come with an additional performance overhead, and also upscale the UI and menus instead of the 3D image only (which badly affects readability at lower resolutions), they do not help those of us with older GPUs much. A native solution is required.

Could someone explain to me, why Microsoft advertises this simulator as FSR compatible while its not ?

AMD FidelityFX supported games.

It’s being advertised as using FidelityFX technologies.
From the website you linked:

AMD FidelityFX™ is a series of solutions available for developers to implement into their games that are optimized for AMD RDNA™ and AMD RDNA 2 architectures and deliver ultimate visual quality with minimal performance overhead.

Slightly above the list of games, there is a horizontal bar of buttons. Selecting Super Resolution, which is the technology this wishlist item is asking for, MSFS is not listed. It is only under the Constrast Adaptive Sharpening category.

1 Like

I tried AMD FSR in Senuas Sacrifice and it worked really nicely. I keep hoping they’ll implement it, at least I’d be able to try it out and see if it can get a bit of extra life from my RX-580.

1 Like

I hope they implement it too. For now one workaround remains to enable FSR in Lossless Scaling, but it’s not as optimal as if it were implemented directly within the title itself.

It uses FidelityFX, that doesn’t automatically mean it uses FSR as well.

1 Like

Maybe that’s the sharpening option in the user cfg file. I personally disabled it and use the classic Nvidia sharpening instead.

More information promised during the next Q&A by Martial, stay tuned…

(Mentioned in the latest Q&A between 50 and 51 minutes)

1 Like

I just hope more information isn’t “we decided against it”, or something like that. I remember them saying in a previous Q&A that TAAU is better than FSR but when I try TAAU in MSFS, and compare the performance I get when using FSR in games like CyberPunk and Senuas sacrifice, FSR just works way better. Being able to run CP 2077 on Ultra 1080P just by enabling FSR on the Ultra setting and still get over 40FPS on an RX-580 is pretty great. And the game still looks lovely too.

2 Likes

They also mentioned DLSS but that only works with Nvidia RTX GPUs. FSR works with every modern GPU from any vendor.

As a heads-up, FSR 2.0 rumours are starting to circulate. At least two sources have said that it’s based on temporal upsampling (similar to TAAU, DLSS and XeSS), however it does not require AI acceleration (which means it can run on any GPU), and the quality is said to be impressive.

A reputable leaker says that FSR 2.0 is coming with RDNA 3 so it’s still a while away, but we might know more at GDC 2022 later this month. If these rumours are true it sounds like DLSS for everyone, and hopefully Asobo too will get on board with this.

3 Likes

Yeah this was very interesting, anything that helps performance is welcome considering the cost of GPUs. I’d still like FSR in its current form to be implemented just because I am very happy with how it works on my RX-580.

1 Like

I am CPU limited in MSFS, not GPU limited. If FSR doesn’t provide as good quality as native resolution, or if it doesn’t help fix the nasty shimmering issue, I probably won’t be using it.

Early leaks say that FSR 2.0 can look better than native rendering, and we already know that sometimes DLSS does too in some cases (Martial claimed it fixes the building shimmering issues and that they use it as a reference for temporal upsampling technologies). So unless it looks better, it won’t be of use to CPU-limited users indeed, but most of the playerbase is GPU-limited anyway.

And now it is confirmed via leaked official slides.

Sounds a lot like DLSS 2.x (temporal upsampling with a built-in anti-aliasing solution), except that machine learning is not required so it works on all hardware. Very exciting!

3 Likes