Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

Bought the aircraft today, honestly it’s not as bad as people make it looks like to be.
Really enjoyed the few flights I did with it, unlike other paywares (like the Kodiak, etc.), it actually serves a new role in the sim and is quite unique (not a generic glass cockpit).

But it’s true that the total lack of meaningful updates from Aerosoft is very worrying, especially when it comes to the sounds… They aren’t that bad but clearly not on par with other payware addons.

8 Likes

you’re still in the honeymoon period with the plane. give it some time.

once you figure out that a good portion of the switches that you can click (ignoring anything that’s actually inop) do absolutely nothing, maybe you’ll start to realize how shallow the experience is for $35 - especially in comparison with other offerings in the same price range.

also, when you have a moment check out the sounds this person created:

DHC6 Twin Otter Soundmod MSFS2020 - YouTube

it will give you a good idea of why the developer actually stepped up post-release and committed to rerecording the sounds. i believe we’ve gone past “worrying” as you called it in your post and gone straight into them blatantly deceiving their customers. the plane has been out since january and we’re no closer today to getting new sounds than we were when they first promised them. there are studios a fraction of their size who have delivered updated sound packs in a very short amount of time.

i understand the twotter came with floats, skis and tundra tires but it’s nowhere close to being in the same league with the kodiak. sound, visual fidelity, systems depth - seriously, there’s no comparison to be made. the kodiak blows this plane away in every category.

i hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of the plane because it’s been nothing but a major disappointment and regret for me.

7 Likes

Don’t pay any attention to the whiners and complainers here. They buy a $30 addon and expect the features of a $60 addon. The twotter is one of my favourite aircraft. I fly it all the time. A great workhorse. A Canadian classic bushplane. Great amphib. You get about 20 variants. There is a good payware sound pak as well which I use. Enjoy the aircraft. It is great and will keep getting better.
John

6 Likes

honestly it’s not whining and complaining. i am stating facts - aside from my opinion that the kodiak is a better plane.

the twotter comes with 4 variants, not 20. there are a bunch of liveries and again, if that’s important to you then great but there’s zero excuse to have to buy a sound pack for a $35 plane.

i am not looking to be able click circuit breaker at the $35 level but there are omissions that shouldn’t have been (and continue to be) neglected by the dev.

again, happy you enjoy it but i think it’s equally important for folks to know there are shortcomings. i am glad you think the plane will continue to improve. again, my opinion but that’s not a horse i would have bet on.

10 Likes

I’m not defending Aerosoft, it’s really a shame that they haven’t improved the plane and addressed it’s shortcomings in those 7 months after release… despites it being a big commercial success according to them.

Sadly, it’s the only Twin Otter we have… I know there’s plenty of better planes out there, but none are as original as the TO. The Kodiak which is the closest is full of Garmin avionics you can find in all default planes with the WorkingTitle mod.

Yes, I agree that the Kodiak is a better plane. I fly the Kodiak a lot too. But I paid 30% more for the Kodiak than the Twotter ($45 vs $35) so I would expect it to be about 30% better. Does that make any sense to you? It does to me.
John

The FSW is only $4.99 more, and it’s a much better plane. You can’t assign a percentage value based on a price difference. That is nothing more than an expectation, and those are often unrealistic. What I can say is that for that $4.99 I got a much better experience.

If you allow community modded default planes like the G36 in your comparisons, it makes the AS efforts somewhat amateurish.

1 Like

Maybe not Experts, but gradually learning “as Students” to a level at least, that is the minimum for 'simulated" RL Pilot certification.

yep - apologies if my post implied anything like that. i agree with you about the actual plane. i love the thing and i wish this iteration were better regardless of how anyone feels about it.

i get what you’re saying, 100% (see what i did there? lol). fortunately or unfortunately for devs, their planes don’t exist in a vacuum. what a/s put out early this year might have been the best they could do at that point. the reality is, there are many other addons now around the same price (some higher, some lower) that have gone so far beyond the fidelity of their product it’s not funny. this gap combined with their inability (or unwillingness) to deliver on their promise of a new soundset is what bugs me - for the whole community whether you like the plane or not. and fwiw, i wanted the plane to improve because i really like it and i paid money for it too so we’re on the same page there.

1 Like

Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works of this ‘Twotter vs Kodiak’ battle, but why has no one mentioned the MV Porter in this regard?

Well, I’m just telling you what I paid for the two aircraft. I know that the US$ is now at par with the Euro. Go figure? Anyway my real point is that you have to consider the value for money proposition. If you pay more you should get more. But, of course, in the end it is all rather subjective. There is no accounting for taste. And don’t get me started on freeware planes. We are so lucky to have planes like the FBW A320 neo, G36 mod, WT CJ4, HPG H135, Caravan mod, etc. etc. So many good planes. So little time.

dude, great point. great plane. and when you think about the upcoming (but boy howdy, long overdue) stage 2. yeeehaw! i can’t wait for that.

i think the kodiak has always been 30E?

I certainly agree with you (110%) — I love the plane too and really hope that they are able to fix the sound and the beta range, etc. I would even be willing to pay a few more $ to get greater realism/fidelity. I think that AS are targeting a different audience than the simmer that buys an $80 addon. They are targeting a more casual sim enthusiast who is happy to have a plane that flies ok and they don’t really care too much about fidelity, etc.
The AS CRJ product which sells at about 60 euros for the full suite of variants is targeted at the more serious simmer and is consequently more full-featured (although still not at the Felix PMDG level).

John

1 Like

The Porter is only about 26.99 (usd/eur) on Orbx (or 29.99 direct) so in the same ballpark. And yep. skis now, Tundra and Floats soon. Proper gauges :wink:

1 Like

Dose it have floats or skis or an amphibian version? or another turbo engine? I would say you are getting less. The Twotter has sold more copies than the Kodiak and is rated 4.2 in the marketplace. Just a a few ticks less than the Kodiak @ 4.5. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on the Twotter it is just a joy to fly.

1 Like

I think that you have it backwards. The Twotter is 29.99 euros and the Kodiak is 34.90 euros. That’s what I am seeing on Aerosoft and Simmarket. If you see the Kodiak at 29 euros buy it.

John

kodiak has been 29.99E on the simworks site since day1

1 Like

I love them both. Like my children.

1 Like