Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

sorry for late answer , what l remind is push cdi key on the gtn530 it ll say Vloc below the frequencies, then your plane should follow the nav

Is this the same version as the marketplace version? Just wondering has the engine sounds been sorted yet? Owned this a while but not used it with the engine sounds it had at time of purchase.

same version. sounds have not been fixed.

if you have $35 burning a hole in your pocket you can do a lot better.

5 Likes

I’d take the Asobo PC-6 over this, if I wanted to use a turboprop with floats. And it’s completely free.

I’m maybe being a little disingenuous as it visually looks good and I’m sure it flies okay. But the sounds are really, really terrible.

3 Likes

What speeds are people using for approach? Finding it very easy to stall at published speeds…

If you cut the throttle the energy will drain fast. Use 75 prop and 15-25 torque for approach until 500 AGL then 100 prop and 15-20 torque. Only cut the throttle at the threshold.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Also, does anybody know why the labels for these switches don’t illuminate like the others in the overhead panel?

All the ones with numbers on are fuses, not switches.

1 Like

Strobe Light?

As I said, the ones with numbers are fuses - the other two are Aerosoft errors/omissions and you can report them to Aerosoft on their Twin Otter forums: https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1046-aerosoft-twin-otter/

1 Like

I’ve already got it a while back but never flown it since I heard how bad it sounded when first flew it… :frowning:

3 Likes

I’ve been flying it a lot recently as part of a VA backcountry event in Alaska and really enjoying it. It’s not as polished as the SWS Kodiak or Milziz PC-6, but it is far from bad…barring the sounds.

I find the individual sounds themselves are not so bad but they are far too loud and very poorly mixed. You can’t change the latter, but you can reduce ‘engine sound’ to 25% in sound settings to avoid a migraine.

Careful use of power as detailed in the post above is key. Dropping the power will put the prop into beta range (you will hear the prop sound change - this isnt too bad) and see airspeed bleed fast - this is correct, but the transition is too sudden and hence stalls come quick! . There was a fix to smooth the transition if you had SPAD, but I think the last update by Aerosoft made this unusable as the necessary .cfg file has gone…

Hopefully they sort it out and I’ll fly it again soon, don’t know why any developer would release something when it sounds so bad, should get that right at the start :+1:

Apparently they are trying to find an operator to allow them to do a full set of new recordings, but none will agree. Rather than such a maximalist solution why just not mix and level the existing ones properly? And agree, it should never have passed QC as-is. The English version of the manual could also do with some editing by a native speaker.

2 Likes

Well mines in the garbage pile hanger along with a few other unfinished aircraft I’ve recently bought all awaiting the polish they should of had before being rushed out and patched later…

3 Likes

They’re just dragging their heels I think. This isn’t a one man band, they are a pretty big developer. If they really wanted to fix this, they would.

4 Likes

It’s did seem like a strange route to go, especially as the reason for IRL operators declining was that they wanted to record the engines in various high-stress settings. But, hey I’m not going to let it stop me getting vfm out of it and enjoying it’s many good and enjoyable features.

I don’t think Aerosoft are the developer, just the publisher. In the same way that Asobo didn’t make the V35B Bonanza, but it has their name on it.

1 Like

Didn’t someone create an excellent set of wwise sounds for this? I’m sure I read that somewhere.

Wouldn’t the logical thing be for Aerosoft to collaborate with this person? Instead of hunting around for someone with a Twotter they don’t mind stressing etc?

Mathjis claims that the sound set they paid for does not include enough samples to cover the whole range of sounds and that the studio was not willing to sell their raw audio. He’s also insistent that re-mixing the existing samples negatively compromises the overall product. He’s says that because the real plane is loud as hell so they need to blow out your speakers with the sim product—even though in real life you’re wearing a headset.

This developer just has super weird priorities for this product. I’ve said it before in this thread but based on the existing bugs and comments from people who beta tested this thing was rushed and it’s unlikely the developers will ever fix it. I mean forget the sounds the entire fuel system is broken! You can start the engines with the pumps off and the tanks don’t drain correctly. But in the same breath Aerosoft will write those shortcomings off as too “in the weeds” for casual players but then spend several patches totally redoing the flight model.

3 Likes