Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

I like the twin otter very much and have no problem with the sound. I’m 78 and nearly deaf. :wink:

9 Likes

I’ll believe that when they correctly model prop drag, and remove the spoiler “cheat”.

Why do you consider it a “cheat”? Respected FM builders like Milviz use invisible spoilers for the same reason. And both Milviz and SWS - masters of the best turboprop modelling in the Porter and Kodiak - have stated numerous times that the sim simply can’t model prop drag correctly at this time.

2 Likes

Because the real plane doesn’t use a hidden spoiler. It’s also how they implemented it, with a hard increase rather than a gradual increase as prop pitch changes.

There are ways around this, but I wonder why AS didn’t try implementing something like this themselves.

Sadly this no longer seems viable as the .xml . you need to edit no longer seems to be in any of the Twotter folders (I’ve looked pretty darn hard). I bought mine from the marketplace after the last update and wonder if they changed it.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong on this!

1 Like

Well, I’ve flown on plenty of Twin Otters IRL, and yes they are loud. But so where the various other turboprops I flew on. But none of them ever sounded like this! Luckily volume isn’t an issue - you can turn engine volume down. But the abrupt transitions. Less easy.

1 Like

I’m 78 too and I love the Twotter. I got a good sound pack from somewhere which works well I think. The real problem is that the sim itself does not properly model turbo props and the unique beta range, prop feathering, etc. Asobo knows about this. It is on their wish list but currently not a priority I think.

Yeah I gave in and bought the soundpack, so much better.

3 Likes

Just quoted a bit of your post, but I agree with the whole thing. For £30 I’d expect a certain amount of basic fidelity, such as working fuel pumps. Likewise with the sound. It’s something fairly basic.

Interested to know whether this is a product Aerosoft are actually proud of in It’s current iteration. I wouldn’t be, personally.

1 Like

Its the sound mod that was done just after release. It requires a sound pack purchase (extra 10euro) to make it work, and is slightly annoying to install (need to run MSFSLayoutGenerator on the layout.json file down a short path, so it isnt just a copy to community folder sort of mod. It does work though). Scroll back on this thread to see it and hear the audio if the links havent been deleted. I’m still running the sound mod and pack and the aircraft sounds much better with it. I think the mod is still on flightsim.to. not flying the twotter much anymore, just too busy with other aircraft. I have no idea why AS are wanting to reinvent the wheel with sounds (assuming they are).

Me either. They’ve been procrastinating with this for months, I am not an aircraft developer but it can’t be this convoluted to source properly working sounds for such a widely used aircraft.

It’s probably just expense. Sales have probably levelled off. It sold well. I’m just not sure why they want to record a new sound set, they could license what is available already. Maybe that’s prohibitively expensive to do. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I can imagine that finding a Twin Otter owner willing to let them stress the aircraft would be more expensive. Which is what they seem to intimate they are trying to do.

1 Like

It’s really a shame about the abandoned sound recordings. Every time I take the Twotter for a flight I’m having a blast because of its flight model which I think is really nice but the sound transitions really throws me off, especially when using thrust reverse.

The Twotter has functioning beta range and feather.
Pull the prop lever into the negative range and it will feather. If you use an axis you need a script or something to activate the feather. I use the program Axis and Ohs while others use Spad set to K:PROP_PITCH_DECR. When activated it will bring the prop pitch lever to -25 and feather the prop.

If you want the plane to load up with the prop feathered you can change it in “apron.flt” (parked state) and change prop lever positions to -25.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I am using Spad and some of these workarounds. What I meant was the native sim does not properly (pun intended) model turboprops. I.e. an axis for prop pitch, propeller drag, etc. As a result, devs have to employ things like invisible spoilers to simulate prop drag. Hopefully, Asobo will address these issues soon.

I agree. SWS has something in store for the Kodiak turbo prop when SU10 drops.

I ended up using the SIM itself to configure the prop feather. Mark’s excellent video shows how at about 11m in.

Shame the beta range annuciator lights only come on when in reverse.

Yes, its using a button to feather the prop, rather than using the axis itself. Not all TQ’s have a button at the end of their axis.

1 Like

This is because the sim doesn’t have a “beta range”. This is a known issue.