Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

I’m curious to see the state of the Twin Otter after the next update hopefully fixes the sounds and they make other improvements based on Sim updates and prop physics being implemented and refined. I’ve held off buying this but if they can manage to finally bring it to the level it looks (assuming the fix the squared wheels) worthy of, I might consider it.

Hello Mendigo (and I hope that Mr Jovial Cargo 1949 will also see this)

I am in the same position as you - I find that the Twin Otter is unmanageable for take-off and landing in anything other than light winds. I find this very frustrating in my UK flights where crosswinds are very much the norm. Perhaps i am not a skilled enough pilot, but surely it should not be so difficult to take off and land?

I have been chatting to Mr Kok at Aerosoft about this and he recommended that I should join this Forum and voice my concerns. So here I am! (Mr Kok feels it as Microsoft problem - not an Aerosoft problem)

Do you (or Mr Cargo) know what the latest thinking is on this matter? I don’t want to go rework existing discussions.

Many thanks for a sympathetic ear.

Best regards

Mike

I would just advice rudder pedals if you don’t have them yet and are serious about longterm simming.

2 Likes

Hi. I don’t know the current status of the aircraft as I have not flown it in quite some time now but you are certainly not alone with finding sensitivity in crosswind ops.

Everything is currently over sensitive in crosswind transition (at and near ground level) - pedals and technique can help you work round it to some extent.

With flaps out the twotter has the aerodynamic profile of a barn door (which makes it a great stol aircraft) however in the sim it amplifies the over sensitivity, hopefully this can all be tuned out eventually.

2 Likes

That is very helpful Sir.

I don’t know whether you are affiliated to the FS2020 development - but would you know whether Microsoft / Asobe are actively looking into this matter? Does the Twin Otter community need to bring it to their attention?

(BTW - I sometimes feel that I would have more success landing a barn door).

Best wishes

Mike

No not affiliated just a keen observer… I’m pretty sure this behaviour is well reported, it’s not only the twin otter affected, some aircraft demonstrate this more than others.

Good luck landing that barn door :grinning:

if you’re talking about tire friction/transition to flight; yes, that’s being worked on. Seb’s shown some stuff on past Q&A dev streams.

Right now tires have a single point of contact, and the friction is basically an on/off toggle. They’re working on a new tire friction model.

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts - all much appreciated.

I really don’t know whether the crosswind problem we experience is a result of the tire friction - my instinct tells me is that is not.

All the best

Mike

If you have feedback for AS, post it directly on their forums. This is not a Voice of the Customer feedback area. That goes for Complaints as well.

I did that many months ago.

Thanks

Mark

1 Like

Just downloaded and installed the Twotter but getting this annoying alarm going off every 15 seconds. As you can see circled in the screenshot on the left, the altitude alarm is going off, and also the altitude set next to it keeps going up on its own.

If you look at the actual autopilot unit I have it set at 5000’. However the altitude set thing on the left has a mind of its own and it won’t let me change it. It resets to a new altitude every 15 seconds and then the loud beeping alarm going off. It’s driving me nuts. Thanks for any help!

The alt alarm going off when approaching or deviating from the target altitude is normal behaviour.

But the target alt should synch with the alt selection on the KAP140 autopilot. Do you have any external peripherals set up to control the AP that might be in conflict?

Also if using the PMS GTN530 make sure it’s the most recent version and try with/without.

Also make sure if you have the PMS GTN750 that it is also the most recent version - even if you are not using it in the twotter, it changes base code that effects other avionics and there were some issues with older versions after SU10.

thanks for reply. i may have had pms gtn750 mod installed so that could very well have been the culptire. i’ll have to check and try again to verify. i was almost about to abandone the flight because the alarm was so bad but i was able to shut it up by clicking the “arm” button on the modern AP panel. for some reason that then synced both altitude values and turned off the alarm.

1 Like

Maybe a stupid question. Before I was using my z-axis of my joystick for rudder control. Now I have Thrustmaster rudder pedals. But with these I crashed now twice during start as the rudder input was to strong and the plane was leaving the runway. Is this normal behaviour? I have the feeling this is related to the fact that I control the nose wheel with the pedals as well. But is this not normally seperated? And can I separate this to only use the pedals for rudder and my joystick again for the nose wheel?

You have to go into the control settings for the joystick and remove the rudder assignment there.
That way only the Thrustmaster rudder pedals will control the rudder axis.

You can’t have 2 devices control the same axis :wink:

You can if you don’t touch the other device. The last used controller is the one that takes precedence. As king as there is no noise around the dead zones on the others I’ve found no problem having multiple controllers plugged in at the same time with sane control blind to them.

I have alredy removed the rudder controls from my joystick. I only control them with the pedals. I think my problem is that the nose wheel is controlled as well. This requires me to be very sensitive with the pedals during start. I also have set up a deadzone sensivity. But during landing its fine. So I dont want to reduce further.

We’re heading towards the end of 2022 and they have yet to implement the improved audio on the otter. LOL

6 Likes

I’ll admit that it’s quite disappointing that the audio update still isn’t out yet. But the Twin Otter is probably the airplane I fly most, and even with the audio issues, I’m still super happy with it.

2 Likes