Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

I am currently using the Black Square Caravan and wanted to go a step up in complexity.
So I bought the Analog King Air of couple of days ago and that turned out to be so complex that I was kind of demotivated. It sure looks like a awesome plane but I needed something in between the Caravan and that. That’s where the DHC-6 came in. I must say, the plane really clicks for me.
The industrial look-and-feel of the cockpit and the whole thing rattling and screaming at you, it’s like you are in a Beaver on steroids.
The complexity is exactly in the ballpark that I want it to be, working my way through the manual now.
It is a bit of a pain to use in VR with that overhead panel and the complete lack of cockpit flow. In that regard, it’s the opposite of the Caravan which has a very logical layout. The sounds don’t really bother me, I even quite like them, although I do think there could be some improvement here and there.

4 Likes

The Caravan was developed by people from the original Twin Otter team - when you know that the (analogue) Caravan really presents itself as a more sophisticated and refined Twin Otter.

1 Like

Looks like an update of some sort is out - I’ve just got version 1.1.0 through the Aerosoft One installer. No sign of any release notes on the Aerosoft forums or website yet…

The new sounds…

The Aerosoft One installer has a “release note” button right where you downloaded the update… it’s the new sounds.

Much like the Beech 18. Turned me totally off once i found out. No need to prime or use boost pumps, cowlflaps do nothing. Those things are a real bummer.

2 Likes

Just got update 1.1.0 on Aerosoft One, no patch notes yet that I could find.

edit; from manifest.json;

"LastUpdate": "VERSION 1.1.0 RELEASED NOVEMBER 22, 2022\\n- Added new sound package",

Again, Aerosoft One has a big button reading “RELEASE NOTES” whenever you download an update. No need to open files or whatever.

New sound package sounds great to me, much improved. Zero complaints so far. Did a quick flight after it spent a long time in the hangar and it is actually flying quite nicely on SU11.

7 Likes

Hi,

Wondering how I would get my update to the Otter. I got through it Orbx. I guess I have to wait until Orbx does an update.

Yes you habe to wait until Orbx will offer the update. Normally updates will be much faster in the Orbx Store compared to the MSFS marketplace.

1 Like

I have to eat humble pie ive been highly critical of the otter over the past year literally using a four letter word to describe it …after months i decided to have another go and omg im loving it currently flying around the Scottish isles i hope the update doesn’t change how it flies now im enjoying it

4 Likes

Great! thanks.

Sound test

12 Likes

I like the Twin Otter. Used to work at the factory where they were built. I read all the negative comments but I still got it. I like it, it flys alright, the sounds are kinda sucky. Hopefully, this update will help. Been flying around the Scottish isles as well.

The Twin Otter is a great aircraft, plenty of real world history. I think Aerosoft missed an opportunity on making a real good addon. They may still fix it, if not I’m sure someone else will.

4 Likes

■■■■ that sounds great!!

Guess, now I’ll have to punish my credit card some more :wink:

Finally! Now I will fly it.

1 Like

Is there an updated manual, by chance?

Sound are quite different, a real improvement to my ears. Glad they got updated.

3 Likes

There wasn’t anything there when I checked, neither on their site, forums, or in Aerosoft One.