Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

Yes, if you take the principle that it is an old design that has persisted for a long time for a good reason and requires the pilot to be more hands on, automatics are basic and just enough. Flight dynamics will receive an update around the time of SU12, hopefully tuning the hidden spoiler effect that was introduced in response to sim changes, it doesn’t get in the way too much though could be improved. It’s not expensive either.

Good to hear, but how come you know?

1 Like

1. if you start engine 2 first, after starting up in non/feathered way, the engine sound goes mute after a couple of seconds while the engine just keeps spinning

Yes, I also had this effect during the first test flights. But surprisingly this irritating effect was gone on the next day’s flights, the start up sound was ok.
But, yes, you are right, the update is an overall great improvement of the Twotter sounds.

What still annoys me is the FM. During the landing approach, the plane hovers like a glider with the throttle set to idle. You cannot control the sink rate with power settings. My IRL experience is that most heavy aircraft tend to fall out of the sky if you let off the throttle.

Is that always the case? Or just with a direct head-wind? The wing profile and flaps of the Twin Otter really take advantage of headwinds. Personally I have noticed this only with a medium to strong head-wind.

Zero wind was set. I just wanted to test the FM without the influence of any wind. Yes, of course, headwind has an influence, but the heavier an aircraft, the smaller this influence. The Twotter is not a glider, even if it has an optimized wing profil for best lift.

1 Like

I’ve only flown the Kingair IRL as far as turboprops go and they should not be floaty, particularly in a headwind. Those props are like barn doors at full RPM.

I don’t see a sock in that video, but that tail up, can’t get down attitude and long flare is classic tailwind behavior.

EDIT: I take it back. Looks like a quartering headwind in all those landings. I wonder if that attitude is a consequence of high flaps, but keeping the speed up.

Speaking of wagging tails though the Kingair, like many aircraft, had a Dutch Roll tendency which it countered with a Yaw Damper.

IIRC, the Twotter has a YD switch. I often forget to turn it on after TO and I’m not certain it does anything in MSFS.

But the tail wagging could be either Aerosoft’s representation of damped Dutch Roll, undamped DR (especially if you don’t use the YD), or another issue entirely.

sadly, like a good many of the switches in the plane it does nothing other than possibly make a clicking sound when you actuate it.

2 Likes

Hi

Could you provide a few more details on where we might get the TSS set, and the mod, or what would be needed to set up the sound set? Thanks so much.

Are you sure? I think it dampens the yaw tendency.

It is the “TSS DHC-6 Twin Otter Pilot Edition Sound Package” that can be bought from Just Flight for around 13 Euros and the " TSS DHC-6 Twin Otter Pilot Edition Sound Package" from zaki87 that is still available on flightsim.to. The mod explains how to install. It is for version 1.0.5.0 of the Twotter which I still use.

1 Like

I’m curious how long the in-game marketplace will take to upload the Twin Otter update. Bets are now being taken - hahahahaha :sunglasses:

this sound pack is for FSX, or am I wrong?

I think this is the correct one. To make sure just look at the zaki mod. It refers to the right package.

So does the new v1.1.0 Twotter release sound better with the new sound package?
I just noticed that it was available and haven’t tried it out.
I am still running v1.0.6 with the modded sound.

The update is now on ORBX.

1 Like

It’s too jerky in the yaw axis. I bet it has the same problem with the new gust system as the Just Flight Pipers. The problem disappeared when I chose a preset weather so I guess I won’t be flying this bird in live weather anymore.

Live weather is ruining a lot of enjoyment in these mid-sized to small birds. They need to implement the sliders ASAP.

1 Like

What sliders? The only one I’ve seen discussed was for turbulence, as some want to fly in live weather, but not be thrown about. :man_shrugging:

Yes, the turbulence sliders. I assume this will address the gust issues that are affecting a lot of aircraft. I mean, I hope so.