After 3 weeks, this is my new build!

Been flying sims since '89. Became a real pilot in 1999 and now due to health issues, it would be tough to pass my medical and get current SO… HERE is where I will spend retirement! After 3 weeks of building, I’m not 100% complete but really close.

17 Likes

Awesome! Enjoy!

1 Like

That looks awesome my man!!!

I know how excited you were to get this build, glad you got it together!

1 Like

Be careful once you catch the bug the building never stops, or maybe that is just me.

2 Likes

Absolutly Excellent, you will have thousands of hours of fun flying there.

1 Like

PLEASE do not tell the wife LOL

4 Likes

You betcha buddy. Did you get your monitor issue figured out? I think you were waiting on one or something of that nature. LETS FLY!

I wish I could get ya’ll to sit in this seat. What a hoot!

Very cool! I like it a lot!

1 Like

Very nicely done. Congrats! Now have FUN!!!

1 Like

Cool setup, but put a book or something flat under the Buttkicker amp like that it won’t over heat. I put external fans on mines.

Great idea. Is there an issue with the amp over heating?

My first one had miner issue, Buttkicker replace it!! and I just put fans on it to keep temps down especially during long flights. Just playing it safe

3 Likes

Wonderful build! Wonderful hobby!
I’ve built 5 sims now myself. But my final setup for retirement is built by someone else lol!
The YAW2 full motion simulator chair, on order.

2 Likes

Looking good my friend, just one question what frame are you using to mount all the flight controls too etc?

1 Like

How are you using the three main screens since FS2020 doesn’t support three monitors yet?

1 Like

That looks great. As an engineer I would really enjoy building such a setup.

There’s one thing I don’t understand though. Please don’t take this as a criticism because I’m really trying to understand. I see lots of people who build their own setups and I wonder why they aren’t using VR. VR is the most amazing thing and I just don’t understand why everyone is not using it. I get that it’s expensive and some people can’t afford it but clearly you can. Can you explain why you go to this much effort when VR is available?

1 Like

Very nice!

I have the same base set up with fewer of the nice touches. You will see:

• The ad-hoc mouse mat (a 1940’s RAF navigation manual…)
  • The throttle quadrants carefully positioned on engineered offcuts of wood
  • The ancient Saitek pedals (my expensive Virpil ones need some adaptation to fit…)
  • Complete lack of screens … All flying is done in VR

On the last point, I see where @Mayhem6633 is coming from, but accept that VR does mean some compromise and doesn’t suit everyone; certainly doesn’t work well with that fantastic Realsimgear G1000 panel!

Also @RwpTurnip, see you have all the harnesses on the seat … do you have the motion base in your setup too? I haven’t found enough turbulence to make me want to add the harness yet … :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Ah, the best of both worlds. This I get.

The frame is built by LOWES / HOME DEPOT. Got it in the 2X4 section. LOL Actually, I bought a 12X40 board and cut it down to 11X33. Then got some nice screws and bolts to tie it all together.
I anchored the RSG G1000 suite onto the board. Real simple but is sturdy and works great.

1 Like