After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

I tried your route… I get mostly my stable 37.5 fixed vsync limit. But there are seemingly some regions which cause lower-fps. We assumed already long ago that it depends on some regions and that may match with the fact that in my case the fps comes allways back to “my normal” if I leave these lower-fps-regions ( or the ‘unknown’ condition which cause that ). Also, because I not realy enjoy such long flights in AP mode, where I simple have nothing to do, I worked in parallel with my pc , may be some short hicks come from that. Usually I sit in the airplane and fly that thing, and not look AP kino.

A good example is the location near JOH ( the last part in diagramm where fps jump ), may be when these ilands come into the image.

37 - 29 - 37
image image image

With this test I can not ensured conclude a timing factor.

If I have again bit time I will re-test and start from PANC.

Heathrow is a notorious resource hog.

How is your performance at Heathrow without the 8 hour flight that precedes it?

1 Like

If I fly within Europe its ok around 30 when coming into Gatwick or LHR it is always busy I know.

Cheers.

Emirates pilot here.

Flown the Oceanic event today, did EHAM to CYYZ and never got to land.

as I started at EHAM I had the pleasure of having a stable 40/50 FPS until I was flying over Dublin (about 2 hours in flight), from there on things started turning for the worse: over the ocean as I had to inform Shanwick (ocean ATC) I noticed that the UI started being less responsive. Few hours into the flight I noticed the actual FPS drop (basically splitting in half, not using fps counter cause that spoils the experience).

In the end when I entered land and started flying over Montreal I had to actually contact ATC and ask them to end my flight plan cause it would have been irrisponsible to continue flying the way I was (pretty sure it was around 5 FPS average).

Microsoft, I’ve paid serious money like a lot of people to experience this simulator as you’ve promised us it would be, live up to it or return my cash cause this is just pathetic.

5 Likes

Some say there is a solution about changeing the registry file, there must be a video about that, too… but i can’t find it. Anyone knows about this fix? It seems to work out. I’d be glad if someone could share this information

Here is a link, bear in mind it doesn’t work for everyone.

1 Like

Since WU8 I’ve encountered this issue on long haul flights, currently with the 787. FPS after ~8 hours is at 5-6, CPU and GPU usage is low, except for one CPU core at around 60%.

If I pause the flight, FPS in the pause menu jumps back to exactly what’s expected, around 60FPS with the limiter on. Changing graphics settings and turning off live traffic hasn’t helped. Memory usage in task manager is reporting at 5.5gb used.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, i guess, that is what i was looking for! I will give it a try

1 Like

@Keyhan2020 now I tried the other direction PANC-KDFW

And we can see the expected low-fps-areas at same position in-flight.
( good behind JOH , and then somewhere in middle similar region )

Conclusion for me:

• can still not reproduce a fps decrease over time
  • can still not see any kind of memory leak
  • we see some regions which cause seemingly more load at the mainthread which results then in lower-fps

The problem is you limited the FPS at 37. This is exactly what I experienced. At ToD which starts around JOH my FPS drops to 25 or so “Check my earlier post” and then backs to ~ 40 when I pass 10000 feet. BUT, it’s still almost 40% lower comparing when I started the flight . Also, I noticed when this degradation happens the graphic quality decreases significantly, The mountain and ground pictures are not like before at all “Check the pictures, first one after 2H and the second one after 6H”. My questions are: Is there more mountains in that area? NO, More ground objects? No, Photogrammetry cities? NO … In this route I fly over areas with more complexities, more mountains, lakes and cities but for the first 2-3 hours the system processes them with no issue at all. Another proof is when you fly back the same route, you have no problem over JOH, it’s absolutely normal “My FPS is +70”. what does that mean? Same spot, same scenery, same settings but no degradation at all. If it happens because of the scenery complexity, it should always be the same when you fly in that area. In our case, it’s not. I don’t know the reason, but for some reason when you fly over some areas, somethings triggers the issue and it’s getting worst over time.

Thank you for your time, I’m glad you got the same result. For me it’s not working like that. Definitely my performance over that spot is not same. The FPS, Stuttering, CPU and GPU Load are all different when I start the flight from KDFW comparing PANC. Unfortunately I haven’t received any respond from MS or Asobo to see how can we narrow down this issue. As I mentioned before, I’m 100% OK to give them remote access or install any troubleshooting software on my end to find the problem, if there is any. The minimum they can do is responding to our hundred of hours testing and giving us a lead / guidance/ help or whatever to make it more clear and possibly find a solution.

1 Like

this can’t be in my case, because I get with my settings only 40-45fps ( depend on airplane ) and thats not worth that I not use Vsync and let my PC consume 150W more. If there would be a leak or a decrease in my case, the fps would come never back to my 37.5fps, but it do it :slight_smile:

I flew the PANC-KDFW and its like a “mirror image”. I get the lower-fps values at nearly same areas and also max-fps as it was in KDFW-PANC. I have the same issues around JOH ( note: it is partly, there are areas around JOH with full fps , see first post )
Ah, you seen it now. :slight_smile: … we write in parallel :laughing:

Here you can see, that my one core usage is optimized for the current situation with the mainthread limit

But we can also see how hard it is to see a different in cpu usage: here a low fps situation which looks nearly similar

( some second later it was back to 37 )

I also have the mountains under suspections ( thus again somewhat with terrain detail ) , they slightly morph in these situations. But if this is the reason I assume somewhat must special with these moutains because other mountains not cause that. Another example is YXS where I not know why the fps goes lower. May be a different thing cause that too.

May be, what I want to try ( but needs again time ) is another airplane. But my last long flight with the DC-6 show me also no clues about possible issue ( beside of lower fps on the airports , buts that I know, I have LOD:230 ). But may be… I should try :slight_smile: ( I ask me how mayn hours the DC-6 needs for that flight :joy: )

pretty sure they are aware of the community and the posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed that your GPU load is dropped to 54% from 65% at the same spot. I’m expressing this again, the FPS starts going down when the GPU load is dropping. On my system, as far as the GPU load is >97% “I haven’t limited the FPS” I’m not seeing any problem. After 3-4 H the GPU load starts dropping that is the beginning of the story. If you’ve decided to try the same route with DC-6, prepare yourself for 11:30 flight :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:
I’m going to limit my FPS to 37 and do the same flight to compare my experience with yours.

1 Like

I can’t believe that the GPU load is about 2%!!! How the Sim can run with this GPU load? Mine drops up to 40% after 6H, I don’t know what happens if I keep flying! Any chance to fly the same route and let us know your experience with 747?

1 Like

Did a CYVR to VHHH. Usually never make it due to either CTD or FPS is so low (1-2 fps) that the simulation pretty much doesn’t progress. Usually starting to have FPS deteriorate flying over Japan.

This time though I made it all the way through with one super strange observation. During decent over south china sea, FPS starts dropping down from the 50s to 7-10 fps. Barely playable at this point but I still tried to go through and land it. The MOMENT the wheels touched the runway at VHHH, fps pops straight back to the 40s. I can taxi to the gates no problem after that. Uber odd.

I turned on vsync in the simulator and limited the FPS to 30, here is the result. As I mentioned before performance degradation is not shown like before, because I almost always had FPS over 30 before. The FPS dropped to 23-24 from 41 miles to JOH, as soon as I passed the waypoint, jumped back to 30. Again after about 5 minutes dropped to 23-24 and then returned to normal and was 30 the rest of the flight. At the same time the GPU load was almost 30-40% then returned to ~90%. After landing I restarted my computer, then prepared the sim for return flight. I flew the same spots and passed the JOH at 37000, no problem at all. The last picture is taken when I passed the JOH waypoint.

So, another flight, same results!!! I’m going to test different 6-7H flight/route later to see what’s happening. I don’t know how much would be my electricity bill this month :sob: :sob: :sob:

That’s strange, I had non of those issues during my more that 15 x test flights to PANC. It’s interesting that you had no FPS problem at the JOH waypoint. I may try 747 later to see is that A320 problem or what! Thank you

I hear you about the electricity bills! lol

Another test flight Sydney to Dubai (787) frames were around 50-60fps as that is what ive set and this time it was pretty much constant dropped to around 30-40fps as i was going to gate.

So it seems if Im setting my destination to Heathrow / Gatwick I will have a single figure fps landing jaunt which in turn makes me cancel the flight as that is unplayable.

Devs - Is this related to the area we fly then ?

Cheers.

yep, this is because the cpu core limits it :slight_smile: … and as mentioned, there are situations where I GPU limited and also without the vsync limit the gpu is able to give me 40-50 ( fps )… near 4K in ultra is just hard work for a 2080ti with the ultra settings.

:grimacing: … I try at least a less cpu demanding airplane in the PANC region to check what happens.

hmmm… something is realy confusing at your pc :laughing: … the core load looks not like core-limited ( if the diagramm not trick us ) and why is your gpu at 30fps in 90% ( the 10 additional % would not be enough to reach then >70fps ) :thinking:.

1 Like

if I see these error number and that your taskmanager show 25GIG memory ( which mean commited may be ~40gig ) I assume its out of memory. These memory consumption is not usually for MSFS and can of course cause strange issues ( also depend on your system ). With 32GIG RAM, your system will work extensive with the pagefile then. May be it is caused from your extrem screen resolution , but not sure. Also note what we currently test these in vanilla state, and it is realy long ago that I seen such kind of memory consumption.

EDIT: and I forgot to mentioned… I was not near the moon with my airplane in PANC/JOH region, more FL10 instead FL43… may be these have an effect.

1 Like