After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

So you’re saying just create the whole flightplan from go to whoa and fly it and it won’t cause FPS issues?

I seem to have a fix for this, though I don’t know why it’s working. Would like some input.

TLDR: try using a VPN (ProtonVPN is free to try). Moving to a VPN has eliminated both the degradation in performance and increased FPS overall.

Long version: in an effort to find a solution to this problem, I decided to do a Windows refresh and reinstall MSFS. Here are my system specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Radeon 5700XT
Gigabyte X570 mobo
32 gigs RAM
Windows 11 Pro

Importantly, my internet is provided by Comcast. I have the standard cable internet package - roughly 120 down and 20 up.

Using the FBW A32NX Experimental version, I could get about 90 minutes into a flight before stutters started really affecting me, with framerates in the 20s to 30s. And while the FPS itself would remain relatively steady, the frame times would start jumping all over the place, resulting in really bad stuttering. Flying more then 2 hours resulted in terrible performance.

When reinstalling MSFS, I ran into awful download speeds - no more than 15 down, and that caused the reinstall to take more than 3 days between all the starts and stops. Looking into this problem I ran across the MSFS FAQ that suggested using a VPN to fix download speeds. I signed up for the free Proton VPN the day SU9 launched, and indeed saw increased download speeds - but only if I was logged into a European server.

But I also saw something else when I actually flew - very steady frametimes. My FPS at detailed add-on airports was in the mid-20s, and at cruise was in the mid-40s to 50s. I was able to increase my settings to the high default (which the exception of motion blur, which I turn off).

I ended up selecting ExpressVPN as my long-term solution and tried it on a Chicago server, which is local for me. I’ve done multiple flights with it, and I can say definitively that I haven’t had a single issue with stutters or FPS degradation on any of my flights, whether short or long. I’m currently on my longest test - PANC - KLAX with all my add-ons running and I’m having no issues at all.

I’m sure this isn’t going to be a solution for everyone but I wanted to pass on my findings. I encourage people with this issue to at least give ProtonVPN a try for free. I was using their Netherlands server when I saw the first real improvement.

Now to my question: why would using a VPN make such a big difference? When Asobo is testing this, are they not finding the problem because they are physically located closer to the servers than us in the states? Is Comcast snooping so much on my data that they’re causing the frametimes to go nuts? Something else? This is my first foray into VPNs outside of work and while I’m pretty knowledgeable on PCs, this is something I haven’t looked into in the past. I’d appreciate any input.

@Jummivana I’d love to get the dev team’s opinion on this if possible, if only to see if it helps them iron out this problem.

Hope this helps someone at least!

Midcon113

5 Likes

Hello there! I’m going to give it a try. Just installed a vpn and trying a 4,5h flight. I usually have the drop after 2h. I will report here if it worked for me. Regards

After 1h and 50 mins, still steady 30 fps (with vsync activated) on my flight from LFPG to GCLP, using last experimental FBW. At this time, i usually see some degradation already. 2 hrs flight left, crossing fingers.

2:15 mins and still perfect. I Can move the cam around without stutters.

If you install a VPN and all of a sudden all is well, when that pretty much makes the problem with your ISP and the not the game per say. So I would call your ISP and start the wheels in motion, Ive had a similar situation here, after alot of digging, diags, documenting issues with ping plotter print outs, they have finally admitted that the problem was on there end. Recently they up’d their customers speed to 200 from 100 at no extra cost, to all their customers in the area. The sad thing is that the problem isnt the speed, its the fact that the network has 50ms of latency, which cause the sim to have to resend the data over and over until it gets complete streams. And of course the sim cant handle this issue and causes alot of the issues that people are reporting.

1 Like

Performance drops down is very sad to player when approach after a few hours flying.

After 03:30, still no performance drop, i’m actually descending for the approach, the longest flight i did so far, it seems to help, at least for me
My connection is not very fast, around 50 to 60 mbps, it may help a bit.

I landed succesfully, with steady 30 fps. It’s only one flight and maybe concerning only my system, but it was the longest flight i did. With the taxi and the flight preparation, i stayed nearly 5 hours in the cockpit. My best flight so far, thanks Midcon113
This VPN thing might help those that don’t have a strong internet connection. In my VPN options, i’ve chosen the server that had the best ping.
I’m going to test it further, cause as it was said the sim have his moods… I’m going to do a flight over Europe, between two heavy custom airports, and see if it works again.

For info : i7 10700KF - RTX 3070 - 32Gb Ram - Preset Ultra - 30 Fps Vsync

1 Like

I’m really sick and tired of both Microsoft and Asobo. Every time they launch a new update, we all have new problems. I could play perfectly well until last weekend. As soon as I updated the video game, I started having the above mentioned problems. After one hour or so, my fps drop from 70 to 5, making the game absolutely impossible to be played… :rage:

1 Like

Since SU9 my performance has rendered the game un playable. I start a flight at around 55 fps and within 20 mins (not even moving just sat in same spot) i’m down at 20 fps with main thread and manipulators in the red, the game is now completely unusable … any ideas?

4 Likes

I write here to also express my support. Same problem.

TIME PLAYED: 00 Min FPS: 45 fps
TIME PLAYED: 30 Min FPS: 40 fps
TIME PLAYED: 60 Min FPS: 30 fps
TIME PLAYED: 90 Min FPS: 12 fps
TIME PLAYED: 120 Min FPS: 8 fps
TIME PLAYED: 150 Min FPS: 2 fps

I also get BANDWITH window pop up so you think you have internet issues, but you don’t. My internet is running perfectly.

MainThread limited.

Unplayable. No matter what I change, what I do, what I set, disconnect or delete. No matter what scenery or aircraft.

Ryzen 7 (58ºC 60% use)
MSI RTX 3070 8 GB (47ºC 40% use)
32 GB RAM
NVme SSD Samsung 980 PRO

7 Likes

Same here. Departure with 50 FPS in Venice. After 30 min flight, my FPS drop by 10%.
And before landing on runway (after 1.5 hour) it almost becomes a slideshow 17-20 fps in Berlin (EDDB).
After Landing FPS goes up little bit but still… 50% less FPS as it should be.
For example: When i start new flight same Airport (EDDB) FPS are around 50 FPS in Cockpit.

It also doesn’t matter if I run simulator Vanilla or with add-ons.
I also tried every tweaks, reinstall and stuff to improve FPS. Nothing works.
But c’mon this can’t be on our shoulders to find a solution. Asobo please fix this.

Btw. I also got these problems with SU8.

Best Regards,

i7-8700K (42-45% use)
Gigabyte 1080ti 11GB
32 GB RAM
Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe

1 Like

… and same here.
Bought BAe 146 and I cannot use it (well other planes as well, but maybe after 3-4 hrs not minutes like in BAe146 case).
T/O with ~35fps
30 minutes of flying -10fps
40 minutes -20 fps
50 minutes 1-2 fps
@1-2 fps is unrecoverable, no matter I do is 2fps.

Complexity of plane is decreasing fly time, as complex plane is as lower flyable time you have.

:frowning:

CPU: Ryzen x3950
RAM: 128 GB
GPU: Gigabyte 3080 Ti 12 GB
Disks: nvme

1 Like

20fps is not a slideshow an depend on your LOD pretty normal for EDDB. Did you tried already the opposite direction, and target airport which are not in the list of the highdemanding airports in MSFS :slight_smile: ?

I was just curious about what I would get at EDDB, and I’m getting a pretty respectable 40fps on Ultra@1080p, in the cockpit of the 414, and 45fps overlooking the terminal buildings. Oddly I got an additional 4fps when I simply look at the terminal buildings. Not sure what was in the other direction.

yes… these “range” I meant… I itself was a bit unspecific. And of course I fly in near 4K , and in meanwhile Lod:210. At the moment I start msfs and will try a fly Venice-eddb :slight_smile:

1 Like

My FPS does not drop to 5fps, but it is definitely a data streaming issue that begins to degrade performance over time, may be related to the actual terrain loading satellite imagery. On a flight from KJFK to BIKF, I notice the degradation about 2 hours in on the north eastern part of New Foundland and Labrador. Frames dropped little by little from 50fps to mid 30s from the moment of takeoff to reaching this point 2 hours in. GPU usage dropped to mid 50%. Once I hit the open ocean, frames went up to over 50 again and GPU usage increased to about 80%.

@MSFSCommunityTeam may be something worth noting.

Thanks!

Edit: Finished my flight after about 5 hours. As I began to descend into Iceland, frames started to drop. Wasn’t noticing anything weird, other than GPU usage dropping to around the mid 50s. There was frequent stutters, but frames would stabilize at 30 when not. After finishing the flight I exited to main menu and reloaded into the airport and frames were well above 40. Something is definitely going on.

R7 5800x
RTX 3080TI
64GB RAM @ 3600mhz
1TB Samsung Evo 970

For example: When I start a new flight at Airport (EDDB) FPS are around 50 FPS in Cockpit. From Gate to Runway (Standard A320). btw. LOD is 200, Most settings Ultra.

But 17-20 FPS(at least 50% loss of FPS) after 1.5 hours flight with arrival at EDDB. And this is not even high demanding airport. Asobo didn’t put much work into it.

Or u can try this. Take A320. And fly from EDDB (Gate C5) to EDDB (Gate C5). ATGUP ILS Approach 25L. After only 30 min and land, you will see a 10-15% loss of FPS. Especially when u arrive at the same gate u left. I did this many times. Because it’s so much fun, to fly in circles. The LIPZ(Venice) - EDDB trip I probably did 3 times already. Each time with massive FPS loss

EDDB… yes… not such high as e.g. EDDF, but there is also these fps range…

I’am currenty one hour in the air ( near EDDM ) and no issue so far, get my stable vsync max 37.5… will report back in EDDB. ( But I choose the TDM , not the A320 :confused: )