After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

So I have a routine I do before I load up the sim. Check for updates from add on sites and also do Windows Updates. After that I reboot my computer and when I log back in I boot up the sim. This seems to help with flights 4 or less hours. I don’t do anything else on the PC except run FS2020, PACX, SimToolKit Pro and A Pilot’s life. I’m able to complete a 4 hour flight without FPS issues. Very annoying but I’m used to it now.

Today I did that same routine and loaded up a flight from KOAK to KSEA. FPS started breaking down before descent. Weather was clear until I was getting ready to descend into Seattle. Usually this isn’t a problem at all and I don’t think it was today. What I did different today was that I was actively using my PC by having Chrome open, on Facebook with a couple other tabs open. I closed Chrome and FPS was sticking around 20~, then the PMDG 737 started breaking down because of it, engine failure, randomly had no fuel, etc. I used Developer Mode to reload the aircraft and then FPS went back to normal but of course the plane was at a cold state and unable to boot back to normal even under pause. So another failed flight, barely an hour in.

Anyway sorry for the long post I was just wanting to add that I think Chrome was speeding up the FPS crash.

1 Like

Hi, I want to report my experience for this problem … I found that when I am in the departure airport my Mainthread is about 9/10 ms and Manipulators about 4/5 and so far everything is ok. I kept an eye on these values ​​by flying from Athens (LGAV) to Rome (LIRF) about 2 hours of flight and I saw that the value of these 2 parameters constantly began to increase without ever giving a hint to return to the previous values. … So steady, small but steady growth … after half an hour of flight, MainThread at 12 and Manipulators at 7 … after an hour MT at 14 and Manip. at 9 … When I was near arrival towards LIRF MT at 26 and Manip at 17 but still fluid vision because I have the monitor at 30Hz and the vsync in NVIDIA Panel activated and the FPS at 33 … so until when they stay at 33 fluid if they go down obviously slideshows … I landed without stutters because my hardware has withstood the MT at 28 and Manip. at 19 but they had turned yellow with some red spikes … If the flight had lasted longer, surely a slideshow in the final …
At the gate with the engines still running I wanted to try to do the various tests proposed in various forums including this one of some tricks but nothing … then Online Functionality on / off nothing … photogrammetry … nothing … some graphic parameters … nothing … so I was giving up … when while I was turning off the various overhead switches (I have a complete 737-800 home cockpit with Prosim aircraft and therefore only flight model without complex systems) I started trying to turn off the switches one at a time and nothing UNTIL I turned off the plane lights (strobe, collision etc …) as soon as I turned off these as if by magic the value of MT and Manip. they went back to the original ones … Coincidence? Bah … Now tonight I want to try to do the same flight with the plane lights off and let’s see what happens also because I will immediately realize if the MT and Manip values ​​will increase. I know it’s strange and probably has nothing to do with it but in the face of these oddities the situation deserves a test. Also because two days before I made a flight from LLBG Tel Aviv to Lirf … so I fly longer and I arrived in Rome LIRF in slideshow condition … at the gate I turned off the plane lights and then I immediately turned off too the engines and the flight report appeared and I chose CONTINUE and after this the values ​​returned good … now I don’t know if when I turned off the lights the values ​​were back to normal or after the report … for which tonight I’ll do the litmus test.
I would like to invite someone from the forum who is going to do some flights to do these simple tests (the plane lights, NOT landing lights, taxi lights and runway lights but only strobe, collision, logo, etc …)
Thanks to those who want to bring back.

Problem is gone after installing Windows 11. :grin:

Hi, i have Windows 11 too and the problem is always there…

3 Likes

not sure if mentioned before but its 100% toolbar pushback and yourcontrols if you have them installed. remove them

I wish people would stop peddling this. It is 100% not true. There are many, many people, myself included, who get the FPS drop without either of these installed.

15 Likes

Fake news. Ignore this

2 Likes

youre by chance missing an update or something ?

Hi,

After 4h flight my fps drop down to 13-16fps, however my rtx 3080 is boring (30% in use) and I have no memory avaible (32GB in use or buffering) and page file is increasing (right now 5GB).

HELP!!! This game of year had almost 2 years! SHAME!

2 Likes

I’m not sure but I think I found a solution to our problem.
I have not experienced the phenomenon at all for 3 days, after the change I made.
4-5 hour flights with no fps drop
The planes I checked:
a330-900 includes taking screens out to a separate screen
a320nx fbw- Includes taking screens out to a separate screen
pmdg 737-700
I found the solution by mistake …
Software not related to a simulator that did not work well for me and a recommendation to reinstall directx for those who updated to Windows 11 …
So I downloaded the driver from the official website, installed it and the software went back to work and it turns out that the fps problems in the simulator also came with it.
I would be happy if you also try and tell if it works for you too or is it just a coincidence …

3 Likes

Just a coincidence have had similar experiences seems to work a few days later bamo. If you look there is also a MS DirectX repair tool from microsoft you can get to check and repair your directx.

This is a complete shot in the dark, but I discovered these drivers are blocking memory core isolation. Are you guys also using Logitech products? I don’t even know what this means or if it would fix anyhting

I use Logitech peripherals (speakers, mouse, and keyboard, specifically) and have noticed something similar after your post pointed it out.

Hello,

I’m also using logitech devices, mouse and keyboard.

Have a nice day.

Hi, not updated… ultra updated… but the problem is not linked to operating system…

Just to give my two cents; I don’t run any toolkit or functional mods (like Pushback), so as some users have suggested in this thread, those are not the cause. I am running an RTX 3080 10GB, i7-9700, 16GB RAM, installed to a SATA III SSD. Page file is suitably sized, rolling cache is generous. Most settings are on ‘high’, with the exception of clouds on ‘ultra’. I have glass cockpit on ‘medium’, LOD is 100. Most post-processing is off. Traffic is off, only live weather is used - no multiplayer or live traffic. I still manifest the issue, with no discernible repeatable trigger. Just two days ago I experienced the frame degradation in the G36 Bonanza cruising at FL160 northbound over central England.

I guess I’m done with MSFS. I have tried absolutely everything, even going so far as to clean wipe my computer and start over. I cannot get rid of this frame rate dip problem. Even on the most basic settings with all online turned off, I’m getting stutters in any turn severe enough to make it barely playable in 2d and unplayable in VR. Nothing in community folder. No additional apps. Windows defender off. Nothing running in the background. 1 gig internet speeds with no dips, 12700kf and a 3080, 32 gigs of ram. I cannot figure it out and until they patch it the sim is unusable for me. It’s pretty cool they’ve offered no comment. I ran the sim perfectly for almost 2 years until this.

3 Likes

Is it laptop or table PC?

Well ventilated tower, no temp problems. I have checked everything possible under the sun.

Lowest possible graphics settings on an RTX3080 and this is what I get no matter what I do. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Unfixable Stutters. NEED HELP - YouTube