After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

Hi, I have just experienced similar issues. Good FPS initially and then overtime the FPS drops and CPU/GPU usage reduces…Strange!

1 Like

I successfully recreated the FPS degradation over an 8 hour period. Again, stellar performance at take off (around 100 FPS, GPU fully utilized). 8 hours later, big performance drop (20 FPS).

I tried to recover by doing the following with no success:

• Toggle Live Traffic
  • Reduce Render scaling, then increasing it shortly after
  • Toggle Live Weather
  • Increasing Page file size to 45Gb min and 50Gb max prior to testing
  • Reduced AI boats and AI cars

I’m at a loss really.

https://i.ibb.co/58s5TtN/2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/J7NvLyW/1.jpg

My rig:
RTX 3080
i9-9900
32Gb RAM

1 Like

If you open the resource monitor, how much memory does FS2020 have committed when it gets that slow? There was a memory bug in SU4 where committed memory kept going up after something triggered. (For me it usually started happening while/after flying over densely forested PG Areas). The active memory would stay normal (what is reported in task manager and fps counter) yet somehow the extra committed memory slowed it down further and further. I’ve seen it go up to 51GB committed with my fps tanking below 5.

I could sometimes get it to recover by setting terrain detail to 10 for 10 to 15 minutes (sometimes 30) until committed memory came back down to normal. It didn’t always work, restart to fix it.

It’s the manipulators thread in your case, but what is it manipulating. Something with the terrain I think. I also had the memory bug over open ocean, and also there setting terrain detail to 10 for a while helped it recover. However if your committed memory isn’t ballooning, then it must be something else :confused:

It happens over the open ocean. I’m about to run another test so I will report back.

Same thing here for me…
I was doing a flight about 3h on PC from munich to malaga, running a RTX 3080TI, I7-10700K and 16GB ram.
With my settings beeing optimized ultra i get 50-60 FPS at the beginning constant. with high utilization. Then after 2 hours in flight came back for the approach, it suddenly dropped to 30 then 20 when i was on final 10 FPS. Low utilization. I tried to change all kind of settings didnt help.
I also dont want to restart because somehow sometimes my saved flight files are corrupted or something and cause CTD.

In this state after SU5 it is absolutely frustrating and impossible to fly. Please Please Asobo fix that Asap. Until then i cant return to the sim. I already waited 1 year after release, now its still unenjoyable. Sad.
I only gonna try to delete and limit the rolling cache but if that doesnt work…

2 Likes

Another data point: Just did a 12 hour flight, PHL to DOH. I flew with Live Weather off and got around 100-120 before landing. So Live Weather could be the issue?

I will do another 12 hour flight later today to confirm the above.

1 Like

Agree weather is the RC, since im using Rex weather force, im not having this issues anymore

Have anyone who has this issue found that the FPS restores to normal once they touchdown and there is weight on wheels?

And what aircraft / mods are you experience these issues with?

Build 1.18.15.0
Started a unlimited fuel flight with displayed FPS of 30 (FPS capped at 30).
At 9+ hrs when I woke up, I saw that FPS was at 11, with low GPU usage.
Went into options, shut off Real-time Online traffic, resumed and FPS was back at 30.
It is now at 12+ hrs and FPS has maintained at 30.

3 Likes

Only just seen this post
Currently flying Puerto Rico to Doha. Started at 40fps on departure, over Spain started dipping to 14 on the slide. Regularly happens on long haul and one occasion flying through southern ocean dipped to 3fps before coming up through South America started to increase and on landing at ascension was back to 30fps. All at 4x sim rate. Has been happening for ages no matter update or fix.
32gb ram on a 2060gtx changing graphic settings didn’t solve much except delaying inevitable
Just my two cents

1 Like

Same. After 2nd hotfix for SU5… after 9hour flight the game reduced to a slide show… literally unplayable. Open a ticket, this MSFS is one problem after another!!!

2 Likes

Try turning Live Weather off. Since turning it off I haven’t been able to replicate the issue.

I’ve been flying with live weather off since SU5, this isn’t the cause.

3 Likes

I’ve come accross the same issue and have found the same solution as a user above. Solution is to espape from flight, then general → Traffic → switch real-time online to off then save, then turn it back on and fps should return to normal.

3 Likes

Just found about this bug! I was flying from LSZH-BIKF, after 2:15h FPS dropped from 70 to 25!
I search the forum to see if I’m the only one and found this thread.
Indeed the solution is to turn OFF live traffic and than back ON, now FPS back to 70!
This should be fixed by ASOBO!!

4 Likes

I only encountered this bug after SU5. As some of the posts above mentioned, turning off the live traffic (then you can turn it back on) increases the FPS. In my case, I start with around 60 FPS, when I turn it off, it only goes back to around 35, but at least it’s better than 5.

1 Like

The only downside i’m seeing, is that once you turn off live traffic and re-enable it, i’m not seeing any traffic now. So might as well fly with live traffic disabled.

1 Like

I didn’t have this problem, I just saw an aircraft flying near me few minutes ago after turning it off and on. And they slowly appeared in the VFR map.

thanks, i did play with other settings too so might have something to do with it. Should probably do a bug report so this issue can be fixed

1 Like

Memory leak. Happens when you tab out for a while and return.

2 Likes