After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

So here I am after a 5h30 flight from KLAX to PAFA in 787HX. No frame drop at all. I’m a bit surprise. A little bit of stutter at take off and at flare but no permanent frame drop at all.
What I change from when i had frame drop : I change terrain level of detail from 400 to 250 and I put cache limit at 200Go on another SSD than FS installation path. And i almost forgot, I update FBW to the latest dev build.
I hope it can help people here.

I use a R5 5600x
RX 6800 FE
32GO RAM

Thanks for the info.
Go easy on the devs and mods though.

This sim has been out for 1.5 yrs and each and every update something new is broken. I think some non-emotional constructive criticism is well earned at this point and the ask for simple transparency on Thursday is more than fair

5 Likes

When I started to experience the bad fps, I had my Terrain LOD set to 200. After changing to below 100, currently 70, the problems have disappeared for me and I have stable flights.
With lower LOD, I also notice the memory commit never hit the roof and start just increasing to crazy values, like I had almost 50GB commited memory before. Now commited memory stays pretty stable around 8-10GB.
I prefer less LOD than unusable fps, so I will consider this fixed for me.

if we could run LOD at higher levels before SU7, why should we consider it a a fix to lower our settings when a new update is pushed?

3 Likes

Ok fine you can go hard on the devs but still go easy on the mods they’re just simmers like me and you.

1 Like

LOD is a FPS killer for me even at 200 so I keep it around 100 and I have no issues.

I’ve also noted if I’m using the GPS flight plan option it will eat away at my FPS during a long flight and some times it’ll causes crazy stutters a few mins of loading the flight. Every other flight plan option works fine.

2 Likes

For those who say they have no issues. It would be nice if you can take comparison screenshots. For example:

1. Taking a shot of the Dev mode FPS counter after your 1 hour flight when landed at an airport,
  2. then exiting to main menu and spawning back into that same location and taking another screenshot to compare.
  3. Bonus if you restart MSFS and do the same thing
3 Likes

Still having the same loss of FPS issue which started around Dec 26th 2021.

Today I’m trying running the sim in Safe Mode, LOD set to 100, rolling cache turned off, community folder emptied prior to starting, flying the default A320 NEO.

Same steady drop off in fps starting from about 40 mins in, down from 65 fpm to 17 fpm. Very discouraging. Not sure there’s realistically anything else left to experiment with. Hopefully Microsoft come up with some sort of solution. i9 9900K, Nvidia RTX 3080, 32 gig RAM.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Startete und flew for about 1 1/2 hours
Paused the Sim und came just back after 3 hours
All working flawlessly
Don’t know what is different on my side.
But since the beta I had only one flight with frame los, and that was due to the weather, I guess

1 Like

Take the comparison shots please. Also unlock your 30 FPS otherwise I have a hard time believing you.

2 Likes

So the new sim update is out, has the issue been fixed?

1 Like

No, I don’t think so.
About to test.

3 Likes

Nah - Im thinking by SU25 the developers will acknowledge it and by WU30 we will have a fix

7 Likes

And as expected, nothing, nothing was fixed in last Sim Update VII. Performance degradation is still here. From 32 FPS I went to unplayable 18. In flight from EGLL to LKPR it happens on same place (after waypoint LUMEN).

Screenshot from flight:

Reloading flight on same location, weather, plane,…:

I have no idea what I can do more, Asobo I am begging you, please fix this finally so we can fly longer flights than 30 minutes. I have bought a lot of peripherals, computer parts just because of MSFS. At that time I would never even dreamed there will be issue like this for that enormous time, without even single reply from DEVs…

Make sure all of you have reported this issue to ZenDesk: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

5 Likes

To be fair, they didn’t say it would be fixed.
Yea I just flew as well and on landing I was at 20 fps. I started at 50 at KORD

1 Like

Just reported it to Zendesk.
I encourage everyone to do the same. This topic needs more votes. It is an absolute MUST-FIX.

Cheers

2 Likes

Zendesk says the issue is “solved” after just posting 5 minutes ago?!
I and hundreds of others disagree.

1 Like

This is not man-made decision. Their system automatically marks all reported issue as solved. Thanks for reporting it, maybe one day it will be fixed.