After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

This is BEYOND frustrating, AMD top of the line with 64GB internal RAM
Happens after 4 hours . . .

Most of the issues discussed should be related to the old DirectX11 architecture the sim is based on. In the months pre july they restructured the code but it still is an architecture invented in 2008, anyone remembering how many threads were available at this time? There is only so much you can do with an outdated modelā€¦
With the sim finally getting ported to DirectX12 and after some learning curve for the developers, with a proper implementation most of the discussed issues should be gone.
As a workaround for now i recommend to save from time to time and if the slideshow begins, restart the sim and load in new. :blue_heart:

4 Likes

The biggest FPS killer is when Windows starts using virtual memory/paging file. It doesnā€™t matter the size or location of the paging file or how much RAM is installed. When Windows starts paging, FPS drops significantly. Since MSFS is the largest user of memory, when Windows starts paging, it starts moving chunks of memory used by MSFS to the paging file. When MSFS needs to use the part of memory on the paging file, Windows has to retrieve it from the paging file and put it back into memory if there is enough memory available. If there isnā€™t enough memory available, Windows has to move other parts of memory to the paging file before putting the memory just read from the paging file back into RAM.

There is a LOT of Windows overhead managing memory. This overhead usually is not noticeable for non-graphics intensive applications.

There are not many ā€œgoodā€ options to fix this.

1. Donā€™t use a paging file. Not recommended due to problems that happen when memory is filled. (Computer crashes or freezes.)
  2. Add more real memory up to 64 GB or 128 GB.
  3. Donā€™t run other applications with MSFS especially graphics programs like YouTube or Netflix.
  4. Try to determine which graphics and other simulator option use the most memory and figure out better settings for your system. Consider moving more processing to the GPU.
  5. Stop using memory-hogging features. One time I popped out two dash panels and my FPS dropped to less than 2 FPS. (This may have been fixed in the latest update.)
  6. It is possible to pause MSFS to give Windows time to clean out the paging file. Depending on the system, Windows may take 20-40 minutes to clean out the paging file.

Disclaimer: YMMV

Implementing new technologies such as DX12 should help in the long term along with any performance improvements in the updates.

3 Likes

Sorry it contains footage of our upcoming product NZA Simulations - NZCH Christchurch which we arenā€™t yet quite ready to share more info on.

I agree with all of that but there is always a reason and not everyone suffers. If you ask me this is one thing a clean of Windows 11 (rather than just an upgrade) will fix. When gaming all uneccessary bloatware and services are laid dormant.

In fact even W10 has a gaming mode although Iā€™m not sure it does all this.

Iā€™ve had a clean W11 installation and it did not fix it

Also on the matter of page files, I tried a few differente configs from auto to 5gb to 5gb on the sdds that MFS is intalled, no change

1 Like

It appears to be a memory leak look a few posts up MS/Asobo where not aware apparentlyā€¦

Not sure how they werenā€™t aware but thatā€™s a different story.

If you have the pagefile Set to Auto and the frame drop starts it would be interesting to see how big the pagefile is at that moment.
Maybe read and write interfere?
I had my swapfile in the beging on the same drive like the Sim. D:
At some point i changed the swapfile from D: to C:
So Sim on D: swapfile on C:
I donā€™t know if it made a difference. But since december i didnā€™t had any frame drop for any flight. The longest lastet around 5 hours.
Before so drop started mostly after about 1 1/2 hour.
Also if itā€™s a memory leak, it seems not releated to the physical memory. Because when i had the drop, there was always plenty of physical RAM free.

Sim is on D:, pagefiles were on auto on C: (both m.2 NVME drives), Iā€™ve changed it to D 5gb to no change, switching it back to Auto C: now

The page file size is always around only 500mb, MFS is using low memory (usually around 6gb) but it usually has about 12.5gb commited, I have 32gb total and MFS seems to commit pretty much everything it cans

1 Like

My pagefile settings is for c: max 5gb and for d: off.
My sim has beed installed on D:
Let me advise to try different options for pagefile size. For me now is the best ever. I havent seen better performanfe since msfs has been realesed.

1 Like

Like this?

Yes I donā€™t think this problem is just limited to bloatware. I canā€™t see inside everyoneā€™s computer but the golden rules are there should always be a minimum 11% free space on all of your drives, donā€™t have a rolling cache on the same drive as your packages and personally I recommend moving virtual memory to a 3rd SSD and letting Windows set and manage itā€™ size, I have mine on a spare 250GB SSD I had laying around.

Minimum 50mb sounds better. I really cant explain why my computer afer this changing is not use disk memory any more. As I meansion in first step I turn off page file for c: either. And after few flights and crashed to windows I changed it to 5-5000mb for c:.

Thats what I have right now, MFS is installed on D: with DCS, I have rolling cache disabled at the moment but it was the same with it enabled, most of my community stuff is on E: with addon linker, F and G is the same regular HD drive partitioned

Understood ā€“ maybe after you release NZCH Christchurch, you may consider also releasing the video.

I am fascinated to see what you discovered, and in what form you were able to present it to Asobo, to get this most frustrating FPS loss bug fixed ā€¦

It may well be an idea Blueprint for other trying to submit bug info to MS/Asobo

And thatā€™s with Windows 11?? ā€¦ I was pretty sure it is the cure. :thinking:
Next suspect background processes: These could include AV and any automatic back-ups, or any so called optimisers (inc. Riva tuner), there was even a time when I suspected trojan mining bots. Even if itā€™s non of that there must be some configuration in common with other sufferers and even though thereā€™s quite a lot of complaints IMO there is not enough of you for it to be faulty software alone or there would be many more of you.

yeah I have none of that, my pc is pretty clean on that stuff, no AV outside of windows defender, no backups software running or this ā€œoptmizersā€

1 Like

Then I really am at a loss. Your Evoā€™s are starting to look a bit full so Iā€™d be interested what Samsung Magician would have to say?

it reports good health and temps on all drives

I also dunno what to tell ya, I really tried everything, Iā€™ve had this issue for almost a year now, intrestingly for no aparent reson loads more people started to get it after new years with no updates at all

Almost a year! so thatā€™s even before SU5ā€™s wholesale data/memory handling changes? ā€¦ then I would say itā€™s very likely something is wrongly configured in your bios or you have a hardware fault, I can think of no other reasonā€¦ except throttling but it doesnā€™t look typical.