After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

Quite similar to my addons… I have and use all those apart from Fuertaventura…

EXACT same thing for me, except I’m flying a Cessna 152, and my performance degrades MUCH WORSE than yours. At some point, at certain airports, mine becomes a PowerPoint slide show, with more than 1 second between slides. I dumbed down the graphics to an absurdly low level, and same behavior, but not as bad.

That said, I can ALMOST eliminate the issue by using iolo System Mechanic prior to approaching the airport and freeing up as much memory as possible. It’s a little hit to the immersion, but not NEARLY as bad as the hit to immersion that the PowerPoint Effect creates. I haven’t tried turning off ai traffic, so maybe I can work all the way around this one.

1 Like

My machine is very similar to yours, what would “CM” be when it says: “and removed PG cities via CM”. I’ll try to do the same here to see if I can get the same result. What processor and what resolution are you using?

I’m fairly certain that means Content Manager.

You can show the package contents and uninstall individual bits from them. For the World Updates, you can locate the photogrammetry cities files themselves and uninstall them rather uninstall the entire WU.

If you do this, be sure to reboot the sim to have it take effect.

There’s an entire thread with details about the PG issues.

1 Like

I do not know if this was coincidence but the last days I had stable 40 FPS and no CTD. Those flights were always executed in the A320 neo and no more than 3.500 nm

Today I tried to fly a 4.000 nm flight and it had no CTD but at the destination airport KBFI (Boeing Field, Seattle) it decreased heavily to 10 FPS when getting below 10.000 ft . No CTD at all but the performance and especially the landing was very hard as it looked like a flip book.

So I do not know if this is just due to Seattle being a big city or if it could be connected to the distance and therefore time flown as well? If so, this would again lead to a mem leak if time plays a critical role here.

Try to turn off photogrammetry in the data options if it happens and see if it goes back to normal.

For me the problem happens with or without PG on, but when i toggle PG performance goes back to normal for a while.

1 Like

Okay it has nothing to do with the duration of a flight. Just started the next flight in KBFI and the FPS drop to 10 right from the beginning on. So it is just the big city which causes massive lags

1 Like

Of course it does, when your terrain LOD is set too high. It affects photogrammetry render distance, among many many other things.

I also set LOD sliders to 100. Had it >100 before when the drop happend.
Since december su7 beta i had only 1 flight which crashed after stuttering and one which got stuttering during approach, still managable.
In that timeframe i made about 60 flights. Around 40 with the FBW

1 Like

In another topic, someone found that their GPU copy engine (which transfers data between RAM and VRAM) was going buck wild at anything over 25 terrain LOD. It’s quite easy to reach a system bottleneck with all of those transfers happening. But of course I cannot recommend using a LOD that low, as it looks terrible. I also discovered that a very low terrain LOD harms texture quality, which I consider to be a bug.

1 Like

I’ve also found that LOD at 100 mitigates the issue a bit but doesn’t resolve it.

If you’re performance is bad at every big city you just have the settings too high.

This topic is about performance loss over time. (So also when over the ocean and no cities nearby)

1 Like

Maybe its just a few days where you have a real clean network connection, and the next time the net burps you’ll be back in the same boat. LOL

1 Like

anyone tested in SU8?

1 Like

Sim Update VIII - issue is still not fixed. After dozens of minutes of flight FPS dropped again from 29 to 17 and never came back. Honestly, I can’t believe Asobo still has not fixed this major issue.

Screenshot after 30 minutes of flight:

Saved and loaded flight again:

Also I have noticed overall performance degradation about 20% less FPS then I was used to be.

4 Likes

Hopefully they will put out a hot fix for this if SU8 does not fix the issue.

2 Likes

Oh they added a new feature here, lost 4 fps overall, and now the loading circle spins every 100’ while flying.
This is on individual installs on a win10 and win 11.

And to think, they delayed this to make it this bad…1 and 1/2 years … is it too late to ask for a rebate?

4 Likes

Update to my last post - I don’t know if this most recent update did something, but now iolo System Mechanic isn’t working. I’m now resorting to just dumbing down the graphics to cartoon level and see if that helps. :frowning:

Still forvever testing did a 20 hour flight Sydney to Heathrow and after around 14 hours FPS started to drop.

I know when this happens now the GPU stops working and stays low when I look at the stats from MSI afterburner overlay i have on screen while flying.

Its like it has decided to stop bothering even if i overclock. I just about managed to land at London after a 20 hour flight but its was around 7 - 10 fps :frowning:

3 Likes

I just read this on another post which addresses bad FPS when taking off and landing. While this does not directly address the FPS reduction as noted in this thread, the fix MAY be helpful. I can’t test because I’m away from home at the moment. Best of luck.

1 Like